Sovereign of the Seas by Hennie - Sergal - 1:78

Looks pretty good Hennie. Did you leave those wider planks as is or did you shave some off to equal the widths a little.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

nice color for the decking......it looks awesome!  really nice progress ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

WOW!! Very impressive work. Love the deck.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

• 2 weeks later...

@Piet: thx, tow more decks to go..........:)

Time for an update. I finished planking the next deck. Also had to do many redo's.

I was used working with Caldercraft, where everything fits perfect..., but ok, after the redo's it looks ok to me.

And as you can see, when I am building, Sansa - my dog- is always supporting me:D.

IMG_1593.thumb.JPG.95ab2fa4b04b356e726762408eac079f.JPG

IMG_1596.JPG

IMG_1597.JPG

IMG_1599.JPG

@Sjors: thx.:) How was your Saturday in Luik? Was the car big enough to get it all back to Bleiswijk?:D

@Edwin: thx:)

And now my weekly update:

As you can see, I finished planking the decks. Quit satisfied how it looks now with all the decks done.

Just started planking the upper side of the hull...

IMG_1602.JPG

IMG_1606.JPG

IMG_1604.JPG

IMG_1607.JPG

IMG_1603.JPG

IMG_1608.JPG

IMG_1609.JPG

IMG_1610.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Thx Edwin:)

And a small update....

I did some planking at the starboard side.

I also tried a piece of the galery and as you can see on the picture: it doesn't fit at all:angry:, so another modification has to be done....

Strange, because on the inside of the hull this fits perfect. Doesn't make sense at all.... Well, I will fix this later. I will start with the gunports now.

IMG_1618.JPG

IMG_1619.JPG

IMG_1622.JPG

IMG_1621.JPG

looking good with the planing on Hennie.   perhaps everything will fall into place once the stern has been trimmed.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

Looking great Hennie.

But i have a question...

Are you follow the manuel when you are building?

I see decorations, a few walls on the deck but also that you need to plank the hull further down.

It looks to me that you are damaging all above when you turn the ship upside down to plank the bottom.

Maybe I'll be wrong and is this the way it should be.

Sjors

Edited by Sjors

@Donn

Thank you Donn, and about your question: you fix these prefab wooden strips temperaly on the hull. Than you cut out the gun ports and after that you can mark there positions on the hull. But beware..... I found out that the prefab positions of the gun ports DON'T correspondent with the prefab positions of the balsa blocks, hidden behind the plancks!! These 12 blocks are needed to fix 12 canons. So before closing the topside of the hull, don't forget marking the position of the blocks on the outside of the hull. I forgot this and had to do some modifications. But it's ok now:)

@Sjors

I am following exactly the manual. I red the whole manual and it looks, it make sence this way. Anyway... doing it this way, I won't forget anything:)

And about turning my ship upside down to plank the bottom: I use a pillow and.... what you can't see.........On many places on the inside I used wooden planks 5x5mm to give it all more strenght.

Hennie

Hi Hennie, really nice progress.  Question on the kit, it looks like the planking is stopping at the level of the decks, especially at the stern.  Are there no bulwarks there or do they go on later?  I'm not that familiar with this style of ship so sorry of its a  silly question.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

And a weekly update again:

I finished the decorations on the deck patitions and it looks ok to me. Its very shiny all and I like that:D.

I started with the second row of canon ports on the port side. I also started with the second planking on the port side. I used 2 planks 1x6mm between first and second row. Now the second row follows nicely the first row in line. I had to raise that last peace of wood for the third row canon, otherwise it wouldn't fix (picture).

IMG_1650.JPG

IMG_1655.JPG

IMG_1660.JPG

IMG_1661.JPG

IMG_1662.JPG

IMG_1663.JPG

IMG_1664.JPG

Wow Hennie, those decorations are really outstanding and the ship is nicely taking shape. Looking good my friend.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Weekly update: I finished the top side of the hull on the port side. This means the partial double planking, cutting the canon ports and painting the top of the hull black. And again several mistakes on the plans. On the drawings you can see that they put the prefab gunport  strips on the wrong side!! All the strips of the port side do only fit on the star board side and vv.. So be carefull and take a good look on the plans.

IMG_1665.JPG

IMG_1666.JPG

IMG_1667.JPG