Carbatec 10" Bandsaw any good?

Hey howya goin all, I've been looking at the Carbatec 10" Bandsaw <--- Click Here, I have very little room for a bandsaw so I don't want to go any bigger if possible, does anyone have this or know if it's any good is there any problems with it no matter how small the problems is could you let me know thanks.    :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Hi Eddie,

I have the Carbatec 10" Bandsaw. It's okay for what it is, but it is quite limited in terms of the blade options available. For example, you won't be able to any re-sawing (I think that's the correct term) with it.

If I were buying again, I'd save my shekels and go for the Laguna 14" SUV Bandsaw.

Regardless of which bandsaw you buy, you should check out this YouTube clip of how to set up a bandsaw properly:

10 hours ago, gjdale said:

should check out this YouTube clip

Hey howya goin Grant mate, yeah great vid, I've had this vid book marked for years now.   :bird-vi:

Ok I'm not going for the 10" anymore, now I'm looking for an 14" one, the Laguna 14" SUV Bandsaw is just to expensive for me grant.   

Edited in:  I just want to resaw timber with it.

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Probably a good decision Eddie - just make sure you check out what blades are available for the one you choose as that will be the determining factor in your re-saw capability.

I will repeat:  get as close to 2 HP as you can, for resawing.  It really works

the system -

For high efficiency and fewer thickness sander passes, a Wood Slicer blade

from Highland -  getting a unit that uses one of their ready made sizes will

save you about $10 a blade, and about 2-3 weeks waiting over custom length.

The 10" would be OK for scroll cutting - poor choice for resawing. 

A generic 9" will scroll just as well for less.  Just make

sure any unit you consider takes a Carter Stabilizer if you

want to cut tight curves. It costs near about want a 9" bandsaw

costs, but it is worth it.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Hello Les here. This looks like a very good unit. Beats my Delta for sure. At $469.00 dollars good value. This unit looks well built and should last a lifetime. If your not resawing large slabs of wood this unit will work out well. But best to ring them up and talk person to person mate. Here what they have to say.

Great video, Grant. Made me want to change my setup a bit. :D

great vid above.  My daughter was given a 1.5" tall reindeer by Mr. Snodgrass at a demo (watching him cut it out while lecturing terrified me).  

As for the bandsaw size, I wouldn't go with anything smaller than a 12".   I have both a 12" Craftsman (KIng Sealy) and a 14" Delta/Milwaukee with a riser block to resaw up to 12" depth, and I prefer to use the Delta almost everything. 

And if you missed it in another thread, here's a safe way to resaw wood:

Eddie

I have been looking for a reasonable band saw myself. The range sold by Hare and Forbes seems to be worth a look

Steve

http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Bandsaw

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Thanks all.   :bird-vi: