HMVS Cerberus 1870 by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Paper Shipwright - 1:250 - CARD

1 hour ago, Dan Vad said:

they have a more realistic approach to pricing

Oops, until I looked at the right pieces - $AUD100 :o:( .

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

24 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Danny, did you have the print shop scale your kit up? Because Paper Shipwright models are normally 1/250.

Chris,  the ship I'm building now, HMVS Cerebus is at 1:250 scale and printed correctly. The NEXT ship, IJN Amatzukaze is at 1:200 :) . I'm looking for 1:200 accessories for my next one at the moment.

:cheers:  DDanny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Ouch, Dan.  Very pricey. The low cost shops in Hong Kong may not carry much US stuff. I did a fast check on some other shops and 1/250 PE isn't readily available, except from GMM.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I'm pretty sure it's available in paper, there are a lot of 1/200 extras becoming available, have a look at BNA modelworld (Oz), or Hobbyeasy (HK), or even Cornwall (UK). 

Whilst GMM is nice, it's dated and very expensive for what you get, Toms Model works is OK, but anything from the US is very expensive here. 

IMG_4359.PNG

Greg

Thanks Ken, Greg and Chris.

Greg, that Link to Tom's is just what I was looking for. The price is OK as well :) . Thanks mate.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

All the Railings are now fitted. They were a quite enjoyable area of the build. I have a lot of touch-up to do, especially on the black printing. I'm not at all happy with the quality of the printing, I don't know if it was the wrong choice of paper, ink or Setup but it flakes off if you look at it sideways :( :

Railings (6).JPG

Railings.JPG

A bit of fun - the cranks for the forward Pump. I made this from a scrap of the PE used for the Railings - it was almost a perfect length fit between the sections :

Pumps.JPG

Some more bits that I've fitted - the Cranes, side ladders, lifebelts and Navigation Lights :

Progress (5).JPG

An overall look at my progress :

Progress (6).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Hi Danny,

Looking good.  You'll be itching for the destroyer to arrive!

1 hour ago, Dan Vad said:

I'm not at all happy with the quality of the printing, I don't know if it was the wrong choice of paper, ink or Setup but it flakes off if you look at it sideways :( :

If I remember correctly I believe that laser printing is the issue with ink flaking off.  Ink jets are fine apparently.  To be honest that’s why I have never bothered with free or otherwise downloadable’s just to much hassle printing them out with my crappy printer or finding correct paper or local print shop not understanding the specific requirements etc etc (but that’s just me doesn’t seem to bother others.)

You will find the commercial kit a joy to work with; the printing is spot on and the paper great to work with (in most cases, the Borodino paper doesn’t like doing some tasks).  Of course I am speaking generally but I will stick with commercial kits personally.  (You will still find rubbish commercial kits but sticking with the major players on the whole should be safe to a point)

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

16 hours ago, Captain Slog said:

If I remember correctly I believe that laser printing is the issue with ink flaking off.  Ink jets are fine apparently.

Maybe Slog, but I'm more inclined to think that my problem is more of a Paper issue. I had two lots printed - my daughter did the first lot at work (she owns the place ;) ) on plain 80gsm photocopy paper and they seem fine. I've used quite a few pieces from this lot when I wanted a thinner paper to roll etc. The 2nd lot I had done professionally, and they used what looks to be matte or low-gloss Photo paper - that's the one that gives me all the trouble. Both lots were done on a Laser printer (I think :huh: ).

Perhaps it was a combination of both.

Cheers, Danny

1 hour ago, Jim Lad said:

Been having internet connection problems, so I'm catching up yet again, Danny.  She's really come on beautifully since my last visit.

Thanks John. But wait ...... there's more :D .

I've made and fitted the Anchors, Anchor Chains and Cranes. The chain is after-market stuff from Builders in Scale. The kit chain (printed version seen below) measures out at 25 links per inch, the "real" stuff is 27 links - CLOSE ENOUGH :D :

Anchors (4).JPG

Anchors (2).JPG

Anchors (3).JPG

Apart from the Masts and associated rigging, and rigging the boats she's finished (although these could take a while :D ). After I took these pics I finished the final touch-up on the damaged printed areas and gave her a coat of Matt Clear.

Cheers, Danny

I'm doing a cheat on the next bits - the masts. I know that this model is "merely" a learning exercise for me before progressing to something more difficult, but rolling 2mm diameter tube 70mm long AND making it look good is still beyond my skill. So I'm making the masts from something I'm much more familiar using - wood :D .

I used the 7-10-7 method to mark out the piece (I'm doing both masts from the one piece, much easier) :

Masts (1).JPG

Next it gets turned into an octagon using a sanding stick :

Masts (2).JPG

Masts (4).JPG

And finally rounded off :

Masts (5).JPG

Cheers, Danny

That's not cheating Dan, that's 'kit bashing' - improving :)

She's looking good

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks Pat. I agree :D .

My next model won't arrive for a while (if it does at all :o ) so I'm rethinking how I rig the Boats. I've decided to do it the way it SHOULD be, with a proper block on the boat end of the tackle. I started by cutting two pieces of stock 0.5mm thick, sanding both edges at a 45 degree angle, and gluing them together to make the groove.

These blocks are only 1.5mm long. Here's one next to one of Chuck's tiny 1/8" blocks :

Blocks (2).JPG

Blocks (3).JPG

6 done, 6 to go. They take me about 5 minutes each to make :

Blocks (6).JPG

Here's a tip I thought of after I almost lost one when cutting it off the stock. Pretty self-explanatory :

Blocks (4).JPG

Blocks (5).JPG

Cheers, Danny

It only took me 3 hours :o, but I've rigged the Gig (the smallest boat). The rest won't take anywhere near that long, as I've made all the blocks and worked out a much easier way of stropping them. Here are some pics of the gig on the davits. The rigging line is 2lb breaking strain fishing line, 0.13mm thick.

Boats (8).JPG

Boats (9).JPG

Boats (10).JPG

To give you an idea of how small this boat is :

Boats (11).JPG

Cheers, Danny

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bismarck-1-200-Paper-models-/132210276541?hash=item1ec858b8bd:g:3YQAAOSw7GRZBjGC

although a bit pricey, still a good value, as these models do cost a lot, when out of print. also, it is genuine, not a copy. if concerned with postage, i might be able to send it to the bottom of the world... LOL

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

and i have a GPM Bismarck, with the lasercut bulkheads and other details from gpm that i will probably not build. if you would be interested, i could probably pass it on... for the price i paid for it originally plus p&p would probably come a tad cheaper than ordering from Poland.

and here i found one for sale in Malaysia : http://www.banyakdeal.com/index.php/home-living/item/2464-gpm-edition-model-battleship-bismarck

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

Thanks a lot Pav, I will take you up on the offer of buying yours if I can't get the Amatsukaze :) .

The Malaysian one worries me for a couple of reasons - first, what is a "RM" in currency? That does not compute !

Secondly, this cute little bit :

For ages: 6 years 7 years 8 years 9 years 10 years 11 years 12 years 13 years 14 years 14 years of age

I know some of those Asian kids are pretty smart, but a 6-year-old building this model ??? :D And it seems it's not suitable for anyone over the age of 14, so that counts me out :(:D .

As for the other one, it always makes me suspicious when I see this :

All of my paper  models genuine (not photocopied) models straight from manufactured

Sounds like an Asian pirate knock-off.

Thanks for the effort you have put in for me, and I'll let you know in a couple of days whether I'll be buying yours.

Cheers, Danny

szent istvan, i think i remember deciding whether to buy that or graf spee. i chose graf spee... but SI has got lovely lines. i might get it in future.

Dan, if you fancy anything else from the sortiment of GPM, maybe even halinski, let me know. i will be ordering myself stuf from poland in about a couple of weeks, will be delivered to me by a good friend who is visiting her mum in poland so to save on postage... we could combine packages to save...

48 minutes ago, Dan Vad said:

As for the other one, it always makes me suspicious when I see this :

Sounds like an Asian pirate knock-off.

well, he sells it from norwich, which is in england. the picture shows front page. his name is Adam Walus, which does sound polish to me. so him getting it from manufacturer, it is highly likely, as the number of polish people traveling between uk-poland is great.

look, just ask him to open it on any given page and take a snap...but frankly, i would choose GPM, simply because its easier to build. Halinski has a lot more detail, parts so small you cannot see them without magnifier,.,.

Thanks all :) .

17 minutes ago, maaaslo said:

szent istvan, i think i remember deciding whether to buy that or graf spee. i chose graf spee... but SI has got lovely lines. i might get it in future.

Dan, if you fancy anything else from the sortiment of GPM, maybe even halinski, let me know. i will be ordering myself stuf from poland in about a couple of weeks, will be delivered to me by a good friend who is visiting her mum in poland so to save on postage... we could combine packages to save...

Pav, it's never really been about how much it costs (up to a point ;) ), rather the very awkward way of ordering and paying for a model from Poland - they certainly don't make it easy like any American, UK or Asian Site.

I won't know which direction I'll be going for a few days, as soon as I do I'll let you know. Thanks again.

Cheers, Danny

nice progress Dan......she's really coming along nicely.   your touches really add to the detail of the model ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I've held off rigging the rest of the Boats, as I think they'll get in the way of the last step - the Rigging.

Now I'm REALLY getting silly. Waiting on Amatsukaze to arrive has "forced" me to find things to do :D . Actually, I'm only making the pieces below in case I need to on a future build, and to work out how and what to make them from. Also to give me an indication of how long it takes.

What I'm talking about is Eyebolts. At this scale they can be a little tricky to avoid making them look over-size. I've come up with three methods, and I'll try them all to see which one works the best.

First up I tied a knot in the end of the rigging line and pushed the line through the (open) Breast Deck from underneath until the knot seated under the deck. Then I rigged the Funnel :

Funnel Rigging.JPG

That method works OK if the deck isn't enclosed like the Main Deck is. There is obviously no eyebolt visible.

The 2nd method is to use a small piece of the rigging line, doubled over itself and glued together. I've found that Roket Card Glue will stick the fishing line together, one of the few glues that will. In the pics below I've already threaded the rigging line through the "eyebolt" and glued it back to itself to simulate a splice. I've painted the line with grey Acrylic, which does the job as long as you don't handle it too much. I'll touch these up before fitting :

Anchor Crane Rigging (1).JPG

Anchor Crane Rigging (2).JPG

I've rigged up one of the Anchor Cranes with the fishing line eyebolts. They work OK, but I have to be careful not to try to push them into the hole too hard as they can spread the "ring" part of the eyebolt :

Anchor Crane Rigging (3).JPG

Looking at the pic above I need to do a bit more work to the end of the railing. Looks like I've forgotten to glue one end :D .

The 3rd method is to use some scraps of left-over Railing (0.15mm) to make brass eyebolts. I'll try these out for the Mast Rigging later.

Brass Eyebolt.JPG

Cheers, Danny

Sone ingenuity you are demonstrating there Danny; they all look effective .  One question though, would the fishing line hold paint if needed?

cheers

Pat 

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

51 minutes ago, BANYAN said:

Some ingenuity you are demonstrating there Danny; they all look effective .  One question though, would the fishing line hold paint if needed?

Only up to a point Pat, but it takes acrylic paint a lot better than larger line (maybe because it's braided?). It doesn't take too well to a lot of handling, especially if you have to bend it. I touch-up the line when I've finished fitting it, and there's no more problems :) .

Cheers, Danny

20 hours ago, Jim Lad said:

Interesting methods for tiny eyebolts, Danny.  I'm looking forward to your final assessment of all three methods.

Here's the trial of the first of my brass eyebolts. It was easier to get through the hole than the fishing line one. It's in a cow of a spot, right next to a Deck Support :

Brass Eyebolt (1).JPG

I trimmed off most of the tails, spread them flat and wiped on a bit of Roket from underneath :

Brass Eyebolt (2).JPG

Brass Eyebolt (3).JPG

Final bit of the trial was to make sure I could still get the line through it easily enough - no worries :). This means that I can now finish the line at the eyebolt rather than on the mast, which would have been more difficult as there are either 6 or 7 lines all finishing under a paper band (later). My thinking is that the brass ones will be the way to go, especially if I find my roll of 0.15mm wire instead of using 0.15mm square railing scraps :rolleyes: :

Brass Eyebolt (4).JPG

:cheers:   Danny

Cheers, Danny

On 24/05/2017 at 0:08 PM, Captain Slog said:

RE the Bismarck book I was lucky to pick it up in a sale somewhere. Not sure of its accuracy. I got it more for the 'iron work' as the GPM Bismarck doesn't really give details on this as it's part of the print. I really can't say if worth getting or not as I never got round to using it for my intended purpose. I think I would go for the 3D rendered book if doing it again.

Wowser, you weren't wrong about the 3D book - it's amazing :o. It's like being on the actual ship, or at the least on a brilliant 1:4 scale model of Bismarck :D.

It arrived today :) .

3D Book (1).JPG

3D Book (2).JPG

Cheers, Danny