HMVS Cerberus 1870 by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Paper Shipwright - 1:250 - CARD

Danny, have a search to the German HMV Verlag. They offer an beautiful Bismarck in 1/250 and a lot of other German ships.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

6 minutes ago, AnobiumPunctatum said:

Danny, have a search to the German HMV Verlag. They offer an beautiful Bismarck in 1/250 and a lot of other German ships.

I've already bought a 1:200 GPM Bismarck off maaaslo (Pav). It'll be coming in a few weeks, along with a heap of PE, turned Gun Barrels and Laser cut stuff that he's getting for me from GPM. I've also got the IJN Amatsukaze winging it's way here from Halinski as we speak :).

Thanks anyway Christian.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

14 minutes ago, CDW said:

What's the idea with those paper "glasses" along side the 3D Bismarck book? I just ordered the book, so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

The glasses remind me of an item they issued at the movie theater when I was a kid as we watched a 3D movie. Is that what these are for, looking at the book in 3D? Strange.

That's it exactly. The last 5 or 6 pages are printed in 3D, you need the glasses to see the effect otherwise they just look like blurry pictures. The rest of the book is normal 2D - the whole lot are rendered CAD, amazingly life-like.

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

34 minutes ago, RGL said:

Hahaha, you'll eventually come to the dark (plastic) side Danny. Feel the force. 

Been there, done that Greg. I STARTED in plastic when I was 10 years old. I made hundreds of ships, planes, cars and trains :D . My first model was a tiny Sopwith Camel that cost all of 5 cents and only had about 10 parts :D .

Cheers, Danny

There is something about the paper models that seem very appealing to me, not sure what exactly or why. Maybe because I've never built one? 

I only wish they were more available locally rather than the need to order them from afar. The postage rate was approx 25% of the total cost of a large paper model with accessories when I checked, which seems rather steep.

3 minutes ago, CDW said:

The postage rate was approx 25% of the total cost of a large paper model with accessories when I checked, which seems rather steep.

Lucky you living in the US. The postage to Australia for a GPM Bismarck with accessories would have been $AU97.00 for a $AU180.00 model if I'd have bought from GPM in Poland. I got lucky and bought one (with the same accessories or more) from maaaslo that he didn't think he'd ever get around to starting. He worked out the postage from UK to Australia at around GBP18.00, or about $AU30.00. That's a lot more realistic.

Methinks some of the Card Model manufacturers are boosting their profits by pocketing most of the shipping cost :angry:.

Cheers, Danny

Hi Danny,

That rendered images you posted from the book look amazing. 

Great work on the little details. 

Looking forward to you next build...or will it be a dual build!

cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Danny, in fairness to GPM based on what I have heard from others, what happens is that their site postage calculator calculates on the high side, but that GPM afterwards charges your credit card only for the actual amount. I can't verify this from personal experience, though.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

10 hours ago, Captain Slog said:

or will it be a dual build!

No way Slog - I'll have enough trouble keeping track of all the parts for ONE kit, let alone two :D. Though I will be using (I think it was your idea, maybe Chris's) of using a clear plastic Folder to keep the parts in.

5 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Danny, in fairness to GPM based on what I have heard from others, what happens is that their site postage calculator calculates on the high side, but that GPM afterwards charges your credit card only for the actual amount. I can't verify this from personal experience, though.

I see. My apologies to GPM then ;).

4 hours ago, maaaslo said:

unless you pay by paypal, then they charge you full...

That makes sense, as I don't think Paypal would reimburse the difference.

Cheers, Danny

All the Anchor Cranes are now rigged :

Anchor Crane Rigging.JPG

So are all the Boats. It took me a few days, but they've turned out OK :) :

Boat Rigging (1).JPG

Boat Rigging (2).JPG

Boat Rigging (3).JPG

Boat Rigging (4).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Looking great Danny,

Looking through your log and the build areas when you took it apart and rebuilt you've done a super job.

Have to double take when looking at your build to realise it is a card model.

Paul

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson

She looks great Danny, seems you have adapted to card quite well.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks Paul, John and Pat.

Third-last job before she's finished - Rigging the Masts (a bit easier than doing a "Victory" :D ).

I taped the first mast to a board to keep it stable while I glued the rigging lines to it :

Mast Rigging (1).JPG

Then I taped the lines to the mast and glued the lines to it in their correct positions :

Mast Rigging (2).JPG

Mast Rigging (3).JPG

After trimming the excess off above where the paper Band will go I rolled the band :

Mast Rigging (4).JPG

Then I glued it around the mast, holding all the lines to it. None should become detached now. The join in the band is at the top in this pic - almost invisible :) :

Mast Rigging (5).JPG

The mast glued to the ship ready to tie off the lines at the previously fitted eyebolts :

Mast Rigging (6).JPG

Cheers, Danny

The Masts are rigged :

Mast Rigging (7).JPG

Mast Rigging (8).JPG

The Flags and Flagpoles have been made and fitted. I had some concerns about the "Australian" flag (which wasn't formally adopted until 1954) until I looked a little closer and did a little research. It's actually the VICTORIAN flag of 1870, and it seems that it was created because of THIS VERY SHIP :), as mentioned in the article (Cerberus being Victoria's first warship). Kudos for some excellent research by Paper Shipwright, it even has the correct amounts of points on the stars and they face the right direction :) :

Flags.JPG

Finished Ship (2).JPG

And ...... she's FINISHED :) . The only thing left to do is make the Base for the model :

Finished Ship (6).JPG

Finished Ship (5).JPG

Finished Ship (4).JPG

Finished Ship (3).JPG

Finished Ship (1).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Great job Danny!

looking forward to your next one. 

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1 hour ago, vossiewulf said:

Congratulations Danny! At this rate you're going to rebuild several entire navies!

Thanks Vossie, but not in this lifetime :D .

50 minutes ago, MEDDO said:

Looks amazing! I can't believe you got it done in such a short period of time. 

Well, I don't have much else to do at the moment Michael :D .

46 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

Great job Danny!

looking forward to your next one.

Thanks Slog, I pretty much owe it to you that I actually STARTED this model. Thanks for all your help.

I can't wait to start Amatsukaze :) .

28 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

You are now a certified card-carrying member of the card-modeling cohort! B)

Thank you for your help too Chris. I'll try not to let the side down :D .

Cheers, Danny

Thanks Grant, me too :) .

i wouldnt have patience for the rigging...

It's a lot easier than rigging a 3-master Pav :D .

I'm constructing the Base. I used some thick scrap card for the sea, and glued pine strips around the edge to support it. These will be covered with strips of Tasmanian Oak when I've finished the sea :

Base (1).JPG

Base (2).JPG

Base (3).JPG

Next I glued some paper to the card and pushed toothpicks under them to simulate a swell and the bow wash. I pulled the toothpicks out before the glue set, and painted the whole sea with 3 coats of diluted PVA :

Base (4).JPG

When the PVA dried I used a spare Hull Base to mark and cut out the shape of the hull. Then I tested the ship in the cutout and did a bit of final trimming :

Base (5).JPG

Base (6).JPG

Next job will be the painting of the sea.

Cheers, Danny

To paint the sea I used Acrylics, colours of Black,White, Sage and Warm Blue. Here's a pic of Port Phillip Bay with a storm approaching. I tried to finish up with a similar coloured water :

Storm-Port-Phillip-Bay-Victoria_eb2e7185-f516-41dc-aa25-794625c5d060.jpg

Base (7).JPG

As a base colour I mixed the blue, a touch of black and some sage and brushed on two coats :

Base (8).JPG

Next I used blue + sage and painted the wash and highlighted the swell, leaving some of the darker base coat in the "forward" areas of each swell. When this coat dried I used just sage to highlight it even more :

Base (9).JPG

Base (10).JPG

I slipped my awl under the paper in a few places to raise the wash and swell where it hits the hull, and injected some PVA under the paper to make it keep it's shape :

Base (11).JPG

Finally I added white froth and bubbles :

Base (12).JPG

Base (13).JPG

Base (14).JPG

What do you all think of it? I'd like some opinions before I go any further. I will be painting it all with clear gloss before fitting the ship to the base.

Cheers, Danny

Looks good Danny. One thing I haven't seen yet, and something I want to do, is a waterline with a realistic suction wave- I'd like to do WWI BCs at flank speed, I have a pic of Vonn der Tann at speed and the suction trough/wave from the props is really significant, 100k+ shp could move serious masses of water. To do it right you'd have to establish that wave first, and in the case of VdT the low point is at least several feet below the lwl, and then do a water modeling process like you've done over top of that - that wave really doesn't seem to alter the surrounding water state much.

Hi Danny,

I know nothing about doing water but I like what I see!

Really sets the model off.

I keep wondering what you are going to come up with next if your next model doesn't arrive soon...the devil finds work for idle hands and all that lol

cheers

Slog