O16 by Piet - FINISHED - Pacific Crossroads - scale 1:350 - PLASTIC - Royal Navy Netherlands 1936-1941

Thanks to all who hit the like button, much appreciated and thank you Denis and John for you comments.

Yes, I could make a diorama of sorts with that crane in tracks and a torpedo hanging on he hook. I already have the torpedo in scale 1:50, or even a mine in the same scale. They are right now laying on the O19 display board.

Okay, next detail John is actually the final few items to add to finish the build.

I added the antenna wires from the bow to the bridge, all periscopes and antenna mast and the little boarding ladder to starboard side. They store these things inside the sail and only attach them to the deck when needed. Actually, most everything is stored inside the sail or under the deck plates between the pressure hull and the deck. From chains, extra cables, spare torpedos and even a few cases of Heiniken beer. The O19 even stored a 5 man dinghy there.

After everything was checked and cleaned up I took the spray can to it and painted her in a flat dark grey. Now she looks like a submarine ready  for the hunt. Just a shame that she ran into that minefield.

I have picked a few photos to end this build with. I hope you like the result. Being this small and using a few close-ups you'll see some rough edges but most is due to close-up distortion.

This shows the O16 right after she was completed and still on my drafting table aka work bench. I temporarily placed the name plate in front of her.

_MG_2209.thumb.JPG.bb3561458f5196fdf964bc92a7ed46c8.JPG

For the fun of it and show the difference in scale with the O19, 1:350 vs 1:50

_MG_2212.thumb.JPG.cc619643b9a301c66de3db6809637ba8.JPG

Port side view on the drafting table.

20170518_111649_003.thumb.jpg.c8b53c95de400f850cc5cfe471fff851.jpg

Yup, she is small!

20170518_112904.thumb.jpg.e0a30d167a5304424f3106fac2145a08.jpg

Another comparison picture, the O16 in front of the O19 sail/conning tower.

20170615_170354.thumb.jpg.e1d7f10d977b64058f6d8b8a665e35ec.jpg

The rest are taken outside with better light.

20170615_171234.thumb.jpg.896b9a27cc55d1cc9cf97c95f2ddd5f2.jpg

20170615_171402.thumb.jpg.810719c2be25090670ff536d1d29911e.jpg

20170615_171452.thumb.jpg.e248b2235a0f81c8ad5b9b1ba5f5250d.jpg

20170615_171712.thumb.jpg.28f8998f35af0d292db23ff420e9d98e.jpg

20170615_171819.thumb.jpg.7a9a6cc05a4dd340321201f4058bfaf8.jpg

I incerted this photo of the actual O16 as comparison with the one above.

594330d2deca6_OnderzeebootHr_Ms.O16(1936-1941)inNieuwediepopdedagvandeindienststellingcopy.jpg.9e6a0d0255f037613cacf349ad9bb171.jpg

Due to the narrow display board I cemented the name plates on the ends. They are a too large to do it the traditional way.

20170615_172015.thumb.jpg.e1c12e08b0f08fab1772a2902c751f99.jpg

20170615_172024.thumb.jpg.47a085919dcf987faf631dad8d20c632.jpg

20170615_172043.thumb.jpg.b8490f42fe5ac9dd94221810737d494e.jpg

Okay, this is it for this build. I really enjoyed it. It was challenging for me because I'm not used to kit building but I learned a few things. I am also honored having you come along and for your very kind words.

Next project is trying to build a diorama of the Young America clipper ship at sea at a scale of 1:3000. Wish me luck with this one and hope all y'all will come to visit.

Thanks again everyone and my co-captain Gwen and I wish all of you good health.

Until we see each other again, Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Amazing work Piet!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

superbly done Peit!  you did a great job on something so small ;)   I hate it too when close ups distort wires and such.....that and cameras can be too revealing.  you are definitely the go to man for subs 'round here :)    congratz my friend!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks to all that clicked the like button and to Craig, John, Carl, Greg, Ken, JesseLee and Denis for your kind words.

Yes Denis, I believe that Boris Mulenko from Pacific Crossroads deserves all the credit for being able to supply so much detail at this scale. I only put the parts together to make it look presentable.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thanks again everyone for your very generous comments.

My friend Boris, you can put any one of the photos you like on your site, I'll be honored, and I am looking forward to holding Hr. Ms. Java in my hands and start building her up.

There is still plenty of room on the O19 display board.

Cheers to all,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hey Piet

Yey. I've finally joined the O16 Club!!!  Better late, than never.  

First of all...what an outstanding job on your sub.  Tiny, finely detailed and packed with sentiment, history and emotion.  Nice job!

Secondly and far more importantly...mighty fine news on the melanoma front!  That's worthy of a huge shindig.  

Congratulauons!  

Cheers

Patrick

Hi Piet,

I finally found where you've been hiding out..  What a wonderful build and your blending in the history and personal notes just makes it better.    Now to go finish playing catch up on this log.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Patrick and Mark for your very kind words. Yeah, I guess emotion has a tendency to creep in with builds I am directly or indirectly involved with. I just hope I wont bore all y'all with adding some very personal stories to these builds.

My next one will be more difficult, emotion wise. It'll be the ship my father was killed on during the battle of the Java Sea. Hope all yuns will join me in that build effort.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Beautifully !! done Piet.... enjoyed your in depth research also....

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

9 hours ago, Piet said:

Thanks Patrick and Mark for your very kind words. Yeah, I guess emotion has a tendency to creep in with builds I am directly or indirectly involved with. I just hope I wont bore all y'all with adding some very personal stories to these builds.

My next one will be more difficult, emotion wise. It'll be the ship my father was killed on during the battle of the Java Sea. Hope all yuns will join me in that build effort.

Cheers,

Hi Piet

Thanks Piet. You're right about your next build being emotionally charged.  Without a doubt, it will be my (our) honour and pleasure to join you on your next build. 

All the best. 

Patrick

I received this letter recently from my new friend from Holland ...

I worked at a museum at Schelde Shipyards, where the O-16 was built, & where some of the ships were made

A model of the o16 would be nice to put on display,

Since it's quite small, I could make a diorama of the dock to tell the story of the build  

5 hours ago, Piet said:

Cheers,

well done Piet,

a beautiful built sub, and all in that mini scale !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Piet, like Patrick said, it will be an honor to follow your next build. Having just finished the Cox book, I have a new found appreciation for what y'all went thru during the opening phase of WW II in the Southwest Pacific.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thank you Frank, Patric, Boris, Nils and Ken for your comments.

@ Boris: That would be a great idea, making a diorama of the "De Schelde" shipyard with the O16 ready for launch.  That would certainly make a great addition to the museum. I have actually been there for the official turn over to the Navy of the O19 in 1939.

@ Ken: Yes, I really like Jeffrey Cox's book a lot. He seems to be one of the few who got most of the history correct. It's a shame though that he did not include some of the dialog from a few surviving sailors in chapter 15, "A Turn Too Far."  I happen to have some of that and may include it in my build log. Reason being is that these men were looking for my father as well as for the ship's commander. My father's call rank was mentioned but not his name.

This'll be an interesting build.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet,

I for one, look forward to the Java.  Your personal attachment will add to the log and to the build itself as it has for this one and the O10.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 months later...

Glad you found my build log of Hr. Ms. O16 and thanks for your kind words. Right now I am waiting for the Hr. Ms. Java kit to arrive. Boris is having to get the PE redone so I am patiently being busy with other projects. Stay tuned though.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

• The title was changed to O16 by Piet - FINISHED - Pacific Crossroads - scale 1:350 - PLASTIC - Royal Navy Netherlands 1936-1941