Phantom by hopeful - Model Shipways - Scale 1:96

David:

You are using the term wales. Is that what the instructions call them? I would call them bulwarks. I just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing. :)

Russ

Ahoy Hopeful

Very nice, The tip to only thin the bulwarks to 3/32 for now is a good one, thx

Was there a reason to toss the copper.  

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Hey JP,

Thanks for looking in. Tossing the copper because I have too many other things going on at this time. I will paint the hull below the waterline with a good copper colored acrylic paint.......a feux copper bottom. Actually, the plans give the build the alternative to use copper or paint. 

BFN,

Hopeful aka David

This is looking great, super clean. The same thing I said about your Sultana, the precision with which you work gives it the aura of a much larger scale.

A possible alternative to paint may be 'bare-metal foil'.   http://www.bare-metal.com/bare-metal-foil.html   I've used their stuff quite a bit for car and airplane models, the foil is very thin and self-adhesive.  They make a nice copper.  IMO, better in scale then the thick plates. It comes in 6"x111/2" sheets. With burnishing, seams are just about invisible if you want them to be.

• 3 weeks later...

HI Mates,

Time to post an update to my log.

Bob M (hexnut): Thanks for looking in and for the information regarding “bare metal foil”. Going to put the web address in my diary.

Russ: Nice to hear from you. You are correct when stating the kit comes with adhesive backed foil. I am definitely going to save it for future use.

Scott (gulfmedic1): Sorry for not getting back to you sooner re the dimension you requested. Please refer to the drawing titled “Arrangement & Lines”. The dimension from the step to the out board edge of the stem is 123.0mm. As the stem is 3.0mm, the hull measurement from the step to the bow is 120.0mm.

Post 8 of my Phantom build log:

Objectives:

Construct the water ways from bass wood, and size the deck material provided in the kit to ensure the two decks fit correctly. There are two decks separated by a step. The step is located just aft of amidships.

Also roughed out the cap rail at this time.

These components will be added to the vessel after the outside of the bulwarks have been correctly sized and the hull painted.

Photo 28

First step was to make patterns of the waterways and decks. I made the templates of low tack tape.

PhantomSchooner30.jpg

Photo 29

After removing the tape I fixed the patterns to 1/16” bass wood with scotch tape. Next I scribed the outside edge of the templates with a #11 blade transferring the shape of the templates to the wood and removed the tape.  The outside edge of the template is now the correct size of the outboard edges of the water ways and fore and aft decks.  

Photos 30-31

PhantomSchooner31-1.jpg?t=1370376923

Shows the finished forward water way and deck. The water way is 1/32” thick. The part is very fragile, but I wanted to make it a one piece component out of wood.

PhantomSchooner33.jpg?t=1370358740

Photo 32

Shows the completed aft deck and waterway.

PhantomSchooner35.jpg?t=1370377087

Photo 33

The cap rail, made of 1/16” bass wood, was made in one piece following Chuck’s method explained in his practicum.  The part will be made more narrow and thinner (1/32) after it is attached to the top of the bulwarks.

PhantomSchooner36.jpg?t=1370292195

Next steps

1. Carve and sand the outside of the bulwarks.
  2. Affix the rudder
  3. Paint the hull, rudder,  and interior of the bulwarks

Thanks for checking out the build. Questions, advice, and constructive remarks are appreciated.

Cheers,

Hopeful aka David

“Standards set are standards met”.

Edited by hopeful

Hi,

Pete, thanks for your encouragement. I continue to be as slow as ever, hahaha!

Grant, Thanks for looking in on my build. Your build is light years ahead of what I am doing.

Scott, there are a lot of differenf ways to approach varius cahllenges when building a vessel. Take a look at all the Phantom builds on the forum and you will have a wealth of ideas to consider as you build your Phantom. Let me know if I can assist you in any way.

BFN,

Hopeful aka David

"Standards set are standards met".

Hi Mates,

A bit of progress to report.

Post 9 of my Phantom Build Log:

Task was to thin the bulwarks on the outboard side of the vessel.  The inboard side of the bulwarks were thinned in a previous step. The final target is to thin the bulwarks to 1/32"....thin.

One can thin the baulwarks by carving and finish sanding. I used that method on the inboard side of the bulwarks. For the ouboard side I used sanding sticks, #80, #120, finished with #180.  The height of the bulwards on the outboard side are 1/8 inch. Following photos are for reference.

Photo 34

First step was to bend a few battens to the form of the hull. The battens are some left over deck boards from another project. The battens are 4.0mm wide and 1/16" thick.

PhantomSchooner37.jpg?t=1370826381

Photo 35

Shows the battens pined to the vessel on the port side. The battens are placed 1/8 inch from the top of the bulwarks.

PhantomSchooner38.jpg?t=1370826496

Photo 36

Shows the bulwarks thinned to 1/16". Note the shelf formed adjacent to the batten and below the bulwark. The step will be rounded over later.

PhantomSchooner39.jpg?t=1370826654

Photo 37

Shows both the bulwarks thinned to 1/16" on both the starboard and port sides of the vessel. They will be thinned on an angle to 1/32 just before the cap rail is added to the vessel.

PhantomSchooner40.jpg?t=1370826795

Next I will remove the battens and round oiver the ledge creaded by sanding the bulwarks followed by adding the rudder and painting the hull.

Thanks for looking in on the build, much appreciated.  

Cheers,

Hopeful aka David

Edited by hopeful

Recently started the Phantom and have appreciated your details and photos.  Will help me greatly in this first build.  I did have a couple of questions if I may. On page one you mention that the vessel length is 10. Yet your ruler shows about 9. I realize these kits arent by any means consistant but my hull right out of the box measures 9 5/8 " and needs to be carved down to around 9 1/4 to match the blue print scale. (mostly at the stern end)  i assume you had alot of carving and sanding at the stern to get it countoured to the right shape ?

Also I noticed you had the stern propped up when adding your water line.  Was this to get the keel at a level angle and the proper line  ?

Thanks in advance for your reply and for a great build document ....     

• 3 weeks later...

Hey David,

Great looking build so far.  I remember your build logs from MSW 1.0 being great and very helpful, Hopeful.  Keep up the great work! 

-Max

-Max

"We should not moor a ship with one anchor, nor our life with one hope."

Current Build: Benjamin Latham, Model Shipways

On Hold:  Pilot Boat Phantom, Model Shipways

Completed Builds:  Chesapeake Bay Crabbing Skiff, Midwest;  The Dinghy, Midwest;  Sharpie Schooner, Midwest

Ahoy David :D

Beautiful work and excellent technic. Learning a lot here

Can I ask why you would round the top of the wales, or am I misreading that

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mates,

In response to those looking in on the build:

BE: Always nice to have to look in on the build. Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

Boys 12345: Have fun building your Phantom. Thanks for your comments re the dimensions of the vessel between the perpendiculars. I appreciate your attention to detail.  The vessel, per the "Arrangement & Lines" drawing is 9 7/16" measured from the outboard edge of the transom forward to the outside edge of the stem.  Minus the width of the stem, your 9 1/4 measurement is ultra close to mine; within a 1/16".  Yes, I too had to remove a fair amount of the hull blank at the stern end. As to the placement of the waterline, I do not think the drawing is correct. The waterline per the drawing seemed to high at the stern. I checked how Chuck placed his waterline on the vessel in his practicum and followed his example which was higher and I felt  more correct. Yes, I did add the wood strips under the stern end of the vessel (photo 22, page 2) in order to lower the waterline in that area.  Again, your attention to detail is impressive. Am Looking forward to following your build. BTW, the dimensions were amended on page one of the build. Thanks!

Max: Nice to hear from you. Thanks for checking out my build and for your encouragement. Checked your log a few days ago. Very nice work on the deck furniture. Your build is going to be sweet when finished, laid deck and all, wow! 

JP: I always appreciate your questions, they make me think!  The plan drawings show the whales as being curved. Why I don't know. Another portion of the drawings shows no curve in the wale. I'll have to ask Chuck his opinion as to why the wale is curved. Stay tuned, JP!

Have completed some additional work on my build and will post the results today.

BFN,

Hopeful aka David

Edited by hopeful

You are doing an outstanding job on that build David!  Very nice work so far!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Hi mates,

Adam (SkerryAmp): Thanks for looking at the build and for your comments, much appreciated.

Post #9 of my Phantom Build Log

Task was to paint the hull, bulwarks (exterior and interior), and the rudder. As mentioned, I will not be adding copper plates to the hull below the waterline.

The acrylic paint scheme is black, copper over black to the exterior of the hull and bulwarks, and egg shell white to the interior of the bulwarks.

First step was to reapply the waterline to make sure that the pencil line is dark. I then painted gesso everywhere paint was going to appear.  After the gesso I applied ¼” wide Tamiya tape at the upper hull side of the waterline. I use Tamiya tape because it is thin, has a cut edge, and is very sticky.  Bob (bburlman) recommended I use Tamiya when I built my first vessel. It works far better than masking tape or blue tape.

As I am using acrylic copper paint to represent copper below the waterline I painted black as an undercoat prior to applying the copper color.  Process was gesso, black, and copper colors below the waterline. Copper over black is much deeper and richer in appearance.

Photo 38

Shows black color applied over gesso. I gently rubbed the black paint with number 400 steel wool before apply the copper color.  I used the wool to eliminate paint brush strokes and cut the gloss of acrylic paint. Note how the tape line is revealed after using the wool. Paint tends builds up along the waterline and needs to be smoothed out.

PhantomSchooner42-Copy.jpg?t=1374854382

Photo 39

Painted the copper color over the black undercoat and removed the tape to show the waterline.

PhantomSchooner44-Copy.jpg?t=1374854309

Photo 40

Next step was to apply tape over the copper color as close to the edge of the paint as possible prior to painting the black color above the waterline.

PhantomSchooner45-Copy.jpg?t=1374855580

Photo 41

Hull painted black and the tape removed to show the completed hull. The rudder was painted away from the hull and then added for the photograph.

PhantomSchooner47.jpg?t=1374855794

There was a very, very fine raised line where the two paint colors met.  The line is visible to the eye and obvious to the touch and must be leveled out to look right.  I used number 400 steel wool to accomplish the task. Now the paint colors blend beautifully into one another. Do not use sand paper for this task. The fine line to be removed is measured in microns.

Thanks for looking in on the build. Comments and questions always welcomed.

BFN,

Hopeful aka David

“Standards set are standards met”.

Edited by hopeful

Paint job is top notch!   Nice color and lines!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Hi mates,

Thanks Grant, Pete, and Adam for your kind remarks re the paint job of my Phantom hull. I appreciate your looking in on the build. Good to know I am not alone in the world of ship building!

Post 10 of my Phantom Build Log

I am trying to get a bunch of steps finished prior to laying the fore and aft decks and waterways.  This, hopefully, will lessen the chance of damaging the decks.

Objectives:   First cut a slot in the bulwarks at the stem for the bow sprit, and second too test fit the cap rail to the top of the bulwarks.

The bow sprit is to rest on the stem and pass through the slot in the bulwarks and into a square hole in the samson post. Locating the bows sprit in this manner ensures that it is placed at the correct angle. A cast metal samson post combined with the windlass is provided in the kit. The builder has the option of using the kit supplied metal sampson post and windlass or making one from scratch at 1/96, yikes!!

Photo 42  

The metal samson post has small round legs. I drilled two holes in the deck and pressed the posts into the deck, no glue used. I started the slot with #11 blade followed by a needle file. Shows slot being cut with a tapered/square needle file. The slot is the same width as the bowsprit.  

PhantomSchooner48.jpg?t=1374855871

Photos 43, 44, and 45

Multiple views of the bow sprit positioned through the slot in the bulwarks and through the Samson post. Note that the bowsprit slot is just a tad lower the bulwarks.

PhantomSchooner49-Copy.jpg?t=1374855925

PhantomSchooner50.jpg?t=1374856012

PhantpomSchooner51.jpg?t=1374856106

Photo 46 and 47

Photo shows the cap rail resting on the bulwarks. As you can see, I have a bit of work to do to ensure the caprail is too scale in terms of width and thickness, etc. 

PhantpomSchooner52.jpg?t=1374856211

PhantomSchooner53-1.jpg?t=1374856306

Thanks for checking the build. Comments and suggestions always appreciated.

Cheers,

Hopeful aka David

“Standards set are standards met”, hopefully!

Very neatly done David. Your meticulous work is a pleasure to watch.

Dirk
I see  I would have been wise to sight the build of your Phantom first, most of my questions with the Alert`s presentation got answered, never the less an admireable model, beautifull lines, and an  ambitious scale you have Chosen. It shall be a pleasure to watch the coming build sequences

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Looking good!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds