• 2 weeks later...

The base is a single piece of boxwood that has been trimmed with a scroll saw, then finishing the smooth with lime .; The head of the healds was curved with hot air on a template. Then, each branch was hollowed out with a 1 mm diamond cutter, finishing of the corners with the scalpel and smoothing of the milling with sharp chisels. The hollows of the upper and lower branches were lined with pear band and the hollows of the central beam trimmed with stripes of fleurons carved with the bistoury and chisel then the needle files.
it remains to work the decors of the vertical pillars and stick them with the flowers of lilies and a small macaroon on the center of the volutes of head.
Of course I will also have to sculpt the head of a horse that will cover the head of the heddles.
Thank you for your opinions and see you soon

Michel

PS: I am very affected by what happened in Las Vegas.

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Outstanding, Michel - 

I would be tempted to frame it and call it a day - LOL !!

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Just when I thought the bar was at it's highest............

There just are no words................

Regards

Michel,

Mon Dieu --- Stunning work. So happy that I found your log. You live in a builder's world that I will never ever reach or be able to think about achieving.

That said, the pleasure that looking at your work gives me, makes up for my much. much, lower level of skills. Your work is, in fact, a work of art.

PS:J'espère que Google pourra traduire mes mots pour vous. Je suis née en France alors le français est ma première langue.

But English is the MSW required language - happy about this in fact.

Respectfully, 

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Excellent work! Inspiring and intimidating also as a fellow S.R. builder. :)

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

• 2 weeks later...

Your cathead support looks very good, Michel.  I like the textured surface in the middle-ground of the carving.  It off-sets the beautifully carved acanthus leaves nicely.  Are you using some kind of micro, rotary burr to acheive this?

Edited by Hubac'sHistorian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

I was curious about that same detail that Marc mentioned. Given the size of and space limits, I was curious if this was a texture added before the carving of the leaves or how it was done. Beautifully done!

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Art in its truest form, a masterpiece coming alive with each post. Kudos time 20:cheers:

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Simply stunning work, Michel.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)