I need recommendations for my next kit build! - moved by moderator

philo426

Philo, i would take a look at the kit selection article from the site here.

http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/plans_and_research/KitSelection.pdf

I would say that you should pick something you like and think you would finish.

I would also say those ships are much more advanced than the Swift. If I had thought things through after my Swift I would have started the AL Virginia followed by the HMS Bounty and then maybe the San Fransico and then after a few under my belt I would then move on to the advanced models like the Santa Ana or HMS Surprise.

Do you have any pictures of your Swift?

Hopefully you will share with us what you decide for your next build and of course start a build log.

Kevin

Current Build

AL Constellation

Completed Builds

AL Swift

Phil,

I went from the Scottish Maid to the BB Wasa.  One heckuva step.   However, if one is motivated, one can do anything.  Pick something that interests you and will hold your attention. Once you've picked something, research the blue blazes out of it here and on other sites.  If it still holds your interest and you feel the urge to go with it... open a build log and build it.  You'll have two things going for you: 1) a ship that moves you, and 2) us, helping and encouraging you.

On second thought.. pick 3 and then then research.  Ask questions, get answers.  Let the list shrink on it's own. :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1589-latest-full-profile-photograph-of-your-build/

have a look in here,  that's one of the reasons,why i started it

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

A multi decked warship is a lot of work. I would suggest something like HMS Fly for your next project. A huge hull that takes ages with lots of repetitive work before any progress is seen can be very intimidating and disheartening.

If you can manage HMS Fly, then you will cerainly be prepared for something bigger. 

Thanks!I'll look into the fly.is it tricky getting the gun ports installed ?

It's not hard, just critical that you get the gunports lined up right. You can't rush that step. Keep in mind too, that these types of kits assume you have some knowledge of model ship buildings. If you want the clearest step by step instructions, then have a look at Model Expo's stuff,especially Chuck's Syren.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I think the Syren is a very good choice. The detailed instructions are a huge plus.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Phil,

I have to agree with Andy at looking at Chuck Passaro's Syren from Model Expo.  There are many excellent build logs of the Syren on MSW plus you have the kit designer, Chuck, on this site if you should have any questions.  Check out the instructions at this link:  Brig Syren Instructions  Just click on the documents tab under the pictures.  Good luck on your next build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Yes it looks like the syren is a perfect choice!

Excellent choice.  Hope to see your build log.  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...

I my opinion the Syren is a great model to build if you like her!! You will never have the impetus to finish a model you don't like, but saying that there is a learning curve to everything to take into account.

There are a few Syrens to look at here, Augies especially, go for it if you take a few weeks looking at the logs and your still excited.

Ben

Hey Philo, I'm a newbie too but what the heck, I'll add my 2 cents worth too...

-Get a boat that excites you every time you look at it... can't wait to have her kind of thing...

and two... get one that seems a touch beyond what you think your ability level is... it's been my experience that I grow the most and rise to the occasion when challenged... IMO of course ;)