US Brig Syren by reklein - Model Shipways

Ok Dr. Per the President is here! Bill you move very fast. I was going to suggest a group build with Mr. Per joining us. But You have already passed me. Like Per I found the templates to be the wrong scale. I managed to reprint them correctly. but then I found that did not match the shear. So I am going to just use the batten as a guide and frame the ports this weekend. I will dig around and resurrect my log.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Bill,

Very nice and tight build.........

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Ahh! Good! Another Syren build, and I am late to the party. Mind if I sit by and enjoy? This is also on my list of future builds. 

~john

Bill:

I am in the middle of planking right now. You are right to go slow. She looks really good so far.

Russ

38 minutes ago, reklein said:

The upper planking is done,and the garboard and two lower planks installed. Now to measure in the rest of the planking. Should be fun , just need to be patient.

100_8246.jpg

I bought a package of those metal clips you are using for my last build. All of mine broke. All the flat clamping parts broke in half near the holes. The clamps were very expensive. May be I had a bad batch?   Are yours holdering up?  While I was in Idaho a few weeks ago I bought two dozen of those Emery Boards.  I sure like them.

Starting the Model Shipways U.S. Brig Syren

Working on the Caldercraft HMS Snake

Completed Scratch Built of Russian Armed Merchant Ship Neva 1801-1805

Scratch Commercial Fishing Vessels

I have broken both the flat piece and twisted the handle off the screw. I made some plastic washers to replace the flat pieces. Right now I'm more worried about closing up the space with an even umber of planks. Next few days will show. I got a couple extra books on the subject. Also I'll be saved by the fact I'm going to copper her. So as long as she comes out smooth ,I'll be happy.

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

53 minutes ago, reklein said:

I have broken both the flat piece and twisted the handle off the screw. I made some plastic washers to replace the flat pieces. Right now I'm more worried about closing up the space with an even umber of planks. Next few days will show. I got a couple extra books on the subject. Also I'll be saved by the fact I'm going to copper her. So as long as she comes out smooth ,I'll be happy.

Good Idea with the plastic or even metal washers.  I do like using them.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've closed up the hull for what its worth. Haven't done much sanding yet. Will have to get it smooth enough to put on copper. I suspect some filler will be needed.

100_8248.jpg

100_8249.jpg

100_8250.jpg

100_8251.jpg

Bill, in Idaho

Bill, I thought this were to be a club build, but with your speed some of us have a hard time to keep up!

Looking good though and the coppering will hide the errors occurring from the planking.B)

Guess mine will look even worse once getting there.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

I don't have so much speed as I do time. I got lots of time in my shop and really enjoy it. That's about two weeks of 2-4 hours a day. These little ships with their narrow planking are sorta tough. The challenge is what its about though. one of these days I will get the planking right and not have to cover it.

Bill, in Idaho

OK after three different applications of filler. That is fill,sand,fill again, fill again and sand again I think I'm ready to put a coat of sanding sealer on before the coppering. I have to look ahead in the book to see when the interior planking and decking go in.Its sanded to 150 which is where I'll stay since copper goes on.

100_8255.jpg

100_8256.jpg

100_8257.jpg

Bill, in Idaho

It is looking ready Bill.  

Have you done coppering before - it looks tricky to me!!

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Bill, 

Thank you for being ahead of me and Floyd, now we can ask you how to proceed with each step along the way!

Respectfully

Doug, I coppered a BJ Constitution but haven't finished it after 12 years. I think somewhere on here is a log of how I did it unless it was before the crash.

Dr.Per you might benefit most by seeing what not to do.

I was looking in the book and I see that the sheer strake and wales are next. I'm trying to figure out how best to get a nice clean paint job. I was thinking about pre painting them but it would be tough to bend unless I bent them first. Hmm. The other way is paint them after but the hull will have to be sealed as paint tends to run in unsealed wood even under masking.

Bill, in Idaho

OK ,got the stern closed in but not quite detailed on the stern side of it. The interior framing has been sanded thin and ready for the interior planking. I'll need to put the filler piece in first. I used a dremel and sanding drum and or a coarse wood bit to thin out . Had to take about a sixteenth over all. Check it out.

100_8259.jpg

100_8260.jpg

100_8261.jpg

100_8258.jpg

Bill, in Idaho

Hi Bill:

Very nice looking planking - and build overall. 

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Looks nice so far. I do have one question: the two gunports in the stern appear to be different widths. Is that intentional, or an optical illusion?

Well Eric.good eye. Did a little whittling and some paint and got em a little closer. hopefully won't be too noticeable..I both hate it when that happens but am glad it was caught early enough to fix.

Bill, in Idaho

Bill, I'm glad it was worth pointing out. Always feels awkward to do so, but it seems that most people would prefer the peanut gallery to ask questions and such.

Nice work.  I can't use CA glue anymore. Not even the expensive "no smell" variety.   I have been using only Titebond II.  Which really slows my progress.  What kind of finish are you going to be putting on the deck?