Santa Maria by mrcc - FINISHED - Mamoli MV42 - 1:50

Almost two years since posting any progress...

I took a break, partly due to fear of rigging and getting a decent result.

Partly with this Covid-19 and lots of time on my hands...

I decided to tackle this next phase of the build and after familiarizing myself with the plans and reviewing in detail what I need to do and of course studying some of the builds specific to the rigging of blocks and attaching them to masts... I started at it...

These images are basically where I left it at almost 2 years ago...

IMG_3186.JPG

IMG_3177.JPG

IMG_3185.JPG

Edited by mrcc

Julian

Current: Mamoli - Friesland

Billing Boats - Dutch Sperwer

Finished: Billing Boats - Bluenose

Mamoli - Santa Maria

On Hold: Caldercraft - Bomb Vessel Granado

This is my technique for tying a block in preparation to a ring or bolt or railing...

Pinch my line with diluted glue

Wrap it around the block locked with a haemostat

Tied tight with a length of thread... and voila!

IMG_3195.JPG

IMG_3197.JPG

IMG_3198.JPG

IMG_3199.JPG

IMG_3200.JPG

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

And here is my techniques for preparing a block for tying to a mast or spar...

Anchor one end of the loose thread back on the block creating a loop

Tie a simple knot around the loop just created with the other end

Synch up the knot carefully as you release the clamp  pulling on the loop and the long end of the thread

Gently pull the short thread end to shorten the loop that can then attach to the mast or spar pulling tightly with both ends now.

Secure the knot with diluted white glue

Let dry and trim the ends of thread/rope

Sorry to say but this was what was holding me back these last two years... simple!

IMG_3201.JPG

IMG_3202.JPG

IMG_3203.JPG

IMG_3204.JPG

IMG_3205.JPG

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

Oh yes...

This is my technique for adding an attachment point to the block.

Set the block with tying thread in the jig

Push pin in

Dip rope in diluted glue

Wrap rope around the pin crossing it at the top and crossing it at the bottom of the block while still in the jig

Pull thread up and tie knots at the top and bottom

Gently pull pin out and trim thread when glue has dried... voila!

The block below is 3mm and is a bit fiddly to do but with this jig but with some patience it comes out good.

IMG_3212.JPG

IMG_3213.JPG

IMG_3216.JPG

IMG_3218.JPG

IMG_3219.JPG

IMG_3220.JPG

IMG_3221.JPG

IMG_3223.JPG

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

And finally...

Here is the token picture with the completely fitted masts and spars overlapping the plans.

Why why did I wait this long to complete this?

IMG_3249.JPG

IMG_3250.JPG

IMG_3254.JPG

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

gotta respect a guy who knows how to take his time  :D   there's no rush!.......it's always said to savor the experience. ;)    got some good ideas in tying some of these blocks.......any technique in tying a 2 mm block my friend,  is a darn good technique!   half the labor with rigging is tying blocks and ratlines....oh......and the rope coils to finish off tying the lines.  I hope the covid isn't as bad in your neck 'o the woods as here,  but it's afforded us the time to indulge in our hobbies.   take your time and enjoy..........I'm fighting with a hull right now,  planking.   should be 'old hat' for me,  but this one is a bear.   the biggest laugh.......I already planked the same hull with little to no trouble at all!  still following after all these years  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for your reply Popeye...

I usually get things done fast and expediently... but certainly not in this regard. 

Covid-19 is certainly a worry here in Canada but I think from the news, not to the same degree as in the United States. I am in a close contact profession and  was shut down early by our Chief Public Health officer... I am in week 5 of non employment and “light” self quarantine... I have been thinking for about 3 years that I would like to take a sabbatical and here it is... but not the best of times for others unfortunately. 

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

well,  just lay low and stay safe......put some time in on that beautiful ship of yours.   your efforts show.......well worth it ;)   I'm taking a two week hiatus from work.......not for the virus,  but for other reasons {long story}.  I forgot what log I vented in,  but I posted something about it.  looking forward in seeing more :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

You do great work my friend!

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

Hey Julian, good to see you're still at it!

You got some pretty solid techniques there from the looks of it. I'll certainly remember to visit this build log again when I am finally up to that point with my Bluenose...

I love to see your work, it really looks very good.

Fair winds and following seas,

Jan-Willem

current build: Billing Boats Bluenose "the anonymous schooner" (enhanced-bashed-scratched-whatever) in a scale between 1:55 and 1:69

Thanks Popeye for your kind comments... stay well!

Thanks Sea Hoss for your compliments... much appreciated.

Thanks Jan-Willem for checking in on my build log once again and of course the kind words. 

Everyone stay healthy and well!

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

Thank you Steven for the compliment...

A few more images before I start adding all the blocks to the deck and exterior of the hull... and then I am ready to mount the masts permanently as at the moment they are just sitting loosely in their respective places.

IMG_3242.JPG

IMG_3244.JPG

IMG_3245.JPG

IMG_3246.JPG

IMG_3247.JPG

Edited by mrcc

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

let the fun begin :)   good for you!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

I made the drastic move of cutting into the hull to add my sheave block... turned out good but when I put the finished sheave block into the opening, I pushed it straight in...

I remade a second block and did the exact same thing!

I have two sheave block rattling around in my hull!

I remade a simple sheave and guided it in with a loop of rope to prevent it from falling in while setting it flush to the opening.

I will keep the loop of rope in yet in order to easily guide the rigging line when ready to do so.

What I can not understand from the plans and instructions is whether there is a duplicate sheave block on the port side as well. Instructions are not clear...

I hope not after this escapade...

IMG_3264.JPG

IMG_3265.JPG

IMG_3266.JPG

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

Now... to complain about a couple of things.

I noticed with this Mamoli vintage kit, they have always been very tight/cheap with items and parts...

This grabrail stanchion is the last one of two that yet needs to be placed on the deck.

The fife rail noted in the picture was not mentioned in the deck plans or instructions and I only picked this item up when studying the rigging plans (now that I am at this stage of the build).

I quickly added this to the deck.

Lastly, this is the rigging thread supplied with the kit... it is excellent in my humble opinion but in the instructions, they tell you to paint the cord once the standing rigging is complete... to the color of black. I can not image painting the thread.

So I ordered a few items and black Caldercraft rigging cord from shipwright.com in England.

All the items I needed was in stock and within 24 hours I received notice that the order has shipped...

Now just a matter of waiting on the Royal Post and Canada Post to deliver...

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0110.JPG

IMG_3278.JPG

Edited by mrcc

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

Hi Julian,

Painting the rope... seriously?? Oh my that's impossible, you'll never get it to look anywhere near realistic or good in any way 😞. On top of the general problem of painting rope (anyone ever tried that?), this is impossible to do on already rigged parts. There will be parts which you can't reach (but can see) and think of the mess if you make a mistake and touch something which is not supposed to be black 😞

Good decision to order rope that is black to start with. An alternative could have been to dye the rope before rigging but that would have been some work, would probably have cost you as much for the dye as you paid for the black rope and the result could not have been guaranteed. If the rope, for instance is not 100% cotton it might take on the color in some places and not in other places...

This is not a nice surprise in such a kit.

Excited to see how you move on with the rigging Julian!

Jan-Willem

current build: Billing Boats Bluenose "the anonymous schooner" (enhanced-bashed-scratched-whatever) in a scale between 1:55 and 1:69

Hi Jan-Willem,

In doing some research on "painting" rigging line, they may actually mean applying a stain to the line with a brush to get the tarred look.

I noticed that some people on the forum have indeed "painted" or stained the lines...

Of course the other option is dying the lines... but of course much easier to just purchase the rigging thread.

Cheers,

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

Hi Julian, I thought so much (tarred look), but this is almost impossible to attain in a realistic way by brushing paint on the rope (I think) and especially after the rigging is done since you will not be able to reach everything and - in trying to do so - may have some collateral on other lines or masts, etc. I could never imagine traveling that road...

Jan-Willem

• 2 months later...

I know there has been some discussion on this forum how slow mail service has been for parts, etc online from overseas to North America and vice versa.

I am late reporting this but basically at the peak of disruption in mail service (April-May) I ordered some miscellaneous parts directly from Jotika - my order was placed on May 13, postmarked on May 13 and delivered from England to my door (Canada) on May 27.

Can't complain!

IMG_3294.JPG

IMG_3324.JPG

IMG_3323.JPG

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

• 1 month later...

Finally developed the motivation and initiative to get the rigging started after a busy summer...

Definitely not my favourite activity but getting "some" of the shrouds done was not too bad.

Very happy with the Caldercraft branded rigging thread I should add.

But I just realized that I did not order enough of the Black 0.75mm size last spring...

I am going to run out and still need probably a meter to finish the standing rigging (each roll is 10 metres).

IMG_3329 (2).jpg

IMG_3326 (2).jpg

IMG_3328 (2).jpg

IMG_3327 (2).jpg

IMG_3325 (2).jpg

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

Doing some of the stays and noticed the forestay is completely out of scale to want should be in the plans in the first diagram...

to my eyes, anyways...

I will redo them tonight.

IMG_3330.jpg

IMG_3331.jpg

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

Like it a lot Julian! The shrouds are very nice.

Also like the painting with the windmills in the back, reminds me of "home" 🙂

Jan-Willem

Thanks Jan-Willem for the compliments.

Last summer when we went to Holland for a family reunion of my wife's... the Kinderdijk's was on my bucket list of things to do and see while there... amazing!

I have an update on the forestay (which I redid) and some of the bowsprit rigging.

The forestay is looking much better in my opinion...

IMG_3335.jpg

IMG_3334.jpg

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

• 3 weeks later...

Finally some moments to spend on my Santa Maria...

Summer is behind me and with winter and snow settled here in Alberta, Canada a bit early, I am sure I will have extra time to finish the model over this winter.

Some work redone on some of the standing rigging as some of my fall lines were originally done in black and have now been redone as they should have been, natural or "untarred".

Very happy with the progress except for the block pulled off the deck and a railing unglued from tying lines under too much tension... perhaps because of fiddling around in ever more tight margins, I yanked them out of their points of contact on the deck. Certainly a challenge getting them glued down again...

IMG_3336.jpg

IMG_3338.jpg

IMG_3339.jpg

IMG_3337.jpg

IMG_3340.jpg

IMG_3341.jpg

IMG_3342.jpg

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

Looking very good, Julian. nice crisp work.

9 hours ago, mrcc said:

perhaps because of fiddling around in ever more tight margins, I yanked them out of their points of contact on the deck. Certainly a challenge getting them glued down again...

Yep, know the feeling . . . happened repeatedly with the railing on my dromon. (In retrospect I shouldn't have put it on so early in the build . . .)