US Brig Syren by Nirvana - Model Shipways

Well,

I didn't expected I would come to this point.

But here is my build log of the Syren.

I feel a presentation of the kit is not necessary.

Reklein and I are both members of PSSM, so this could be considered as a club build.

Our President has already started the build but has had the bit at a stand still for a long time.

I had started the kit, but the keel for BF was to warped and twisted to be used, even after two weeks of straightening.
I even tried with the inserted bulkheads and filler blocks to get it straight"er" but to no avail.

I contacted Mr. Mosko at ModelExpo via email and got a quick respons the following morning.

I have shaped the bulkheads, put the templates together and will do other work while waiting for the new BF to arrive.

The build jig is made and ready to go to.

The current BF and bulkheads are just put together without glue and I am using them to bend the planking.

Thought they could come to good use for that purpose.

Lastly, I would like to extend a big thank you to all other members who has build Syren, as your logs will provide a lot of extra information needed for the build and how to avoid pit holes along the way.

Now picture time :rolleyes:

P1030497.JPG.f46a6a2acc80d1c2ef8d8df5e5a381d6.JPGP1030498.JPG.dc7636f20d2d6933eb1dcdc44cf9174e.JPG5928f0833cba9_Sandingframesoutside.thumb.jpg.cba59c77b2ae235ec19da990a8da3f31.jpgP1030499.JPG.277fa0616d8202af0fddd43c6d28fef5.JPG5928f083e1c26_twistandwarp.JPG.d9409d8f8c7ea5b38d98f51b3ec86b57.JPG

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

YASB (yet another Syren build)!  I'm delighted to follow along on your build!

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Ah! Another Syren!  This is on my list of builds, likely my next one, so I will pull up a crate to sit on and enjoy. Looking forward to your progress, Per.

~john

Thank you all for the initial likes and comments.

I hope I will be able to hold up to the "pressure" of creating an equal outstanding model like many others in here.

I am certain I will have questions. Hope you don't mind me asking when time comes.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

So, I had the template cut and joined.

Reading Bill in Lewistons build log he had run into a problem with them as the didn't line up.

I thought when viewing his picture that he hadn't lined it up properly, so I checked my template versus my warped false BF, and sure enough I had the same problem.

Then I checked the template versus sheet 2, and lo and behold they were different.

Placing the BF on sheet 2 we have a perfect match.

Then I measured with both a ruler and caliper. This between frame 4 and

On the template the distance is 36.25mmm, while on sheet 2 distance is 37.8mm exactly the same as the physical BF.

My solution, scan the part of representing the template from sheet two and use that.

See inserted pictures.

P1030503.JPG.878c581aaa22768e73378f494c58e91d.JPG

P1030505.JPG.df0ce3616318edcb271c1e4f333f75a5.JPG

Checking the deck plan, same problem.

I will post pdf files here for everyones use.

Respectfully

Is your Deck View template off too?

All of mine line up.  But of course I had the poor quality wood problems.

Model Shipways needs to hire a qualified Quality Control person. 

IMG_5219.JPG

IMG_5220.JPG

Starting the Model Shipways U.S. Brig Syren

Working on the Caldercraft HMS Snake

Completed Scratch Built of Russian Armed Merchant Ship Neva 1801-1805

Scratch Commercial Fishing Vessels

Not considering the beveling of the deck shape, but when lining up the BF with the deck  template it is really off.

P1030509.JPG.27b99ccede6ccf29eb7051e709eb98f6.JPG

Doing the same thing towards Sheet one, perfect match between BF and deck plan.

Respectfully

29 minutes ago, Nirvana said:

Not considering the beveling of the deck shape, but when lining up the BF with the deck  template it is really off.

P1030509.JPG.27b99ccede6ccf29eb7051e709eb98f6.JPG

Doing the same thing towards Sheet one, perfect match between BF and deck plan.

Wow !!!!

How hard can it be for these guys to print those templates correctly for the kit......seems like the easy part.  Anyway.....hope these help.  Remember to set your page scaling to NONE when printing them.  And measure the scale bar for accuracy where each segment should be 3/16" wide.  If these dont match your plans then they probably printed your plans incorrectly as well.  Always measure the scale bar to find out.  That is why it is there.  These are the original files.   

Chuck

colorcodedtemplate.pdf

framingplan1.pdf

framingplan2.pdf

framingplan3.pdf

framingplan4.pdf

framingplan5.pdf

framingplan6.pdf

framingtemplate7.pdf

sternframingsyren.pdf

Chuck, thank you very much for the pdf's I am certain they will help.

I am currently exchanging email with Mr. Mosko at ModelExpo with this matter.

The plans are not correct either.

Respectfully

Severe frustration with this kit is setting in,

After using several calipers (mechanical and digital) and several rulers all shows the same result for me.

The plywood provided is to thick, instead of the 3/16" (4.7625mm) they measure 13/64" (5.16mm), this is huge at this scale.

It was no wonder that the jig I had made didn't fit the 3/16", this after I used a aluminum square for the center opening.

With that the nothing is right.

I went outside had plan two and three along, put one on top of the other on the glass table, with the sun I could clearly see differences between the plans and measures. The BF doesn't match at all, one is longer than the other but not taller, and the bulk head openings are not lining up.

The Scale 3/16" - 1' bar seems to be correct, but as it is so short it's hard to tell.  

Have no idea what kind of "Monday" model I got.

Am about to give up with Syren.

Respectfully

I wonder if they had production problems in a particular window of time.  My 2 bulkhead formers (because I received a basswood version to replay the crumbling plywood of the original kit I received) both match each other and match the 8-1/2x11 template sheets provided.  However there is about a 1% discrepancy between those and the large plans provided.  The large plans are only 99% of the actually size.  That was hard to measure on the gauge Chuck mentions but I measured from bow bulkhead position to stern position 410 mm on the plans and 414mm on the actual bulkhead formers.

My kit has a contents sheet date of January 2017 - it is pretty recent!

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

1 minute ago, Heronguy said:

I wonder if they had production problems in a particular window of time.  My 2 bulkhead formers (because I received a basswood version to replay the crumbling plywood of the original kit I received) both match each other and match the 8-1/2x11 template sheets provided.  However there is about a 1% discrepancy between those and the large plans provided.  The large plans are only 99% of the actually size.  That was hard to measure on the gauge Chuck mentions but I measured from bow bulkhead position to stern position 410 mm on the plans and 414mm on the actual bulkhead formers.

My kit has a contents sheet date of January 2017 - it is pretty recent!

I noticed that the plans in my original Kit were different than the ones they sent me as replacements also.  My contents sheet is 1/18/2017.  My original plans were printed on over sized large sheets of paper. The sheets were so big that the drawings only covered the bottom right half of the sheets! The rest was empty paper. The Plans were dog eared, and folded and refolded multiple times in the wrong places. The new plans are on smaller sheets and look pretty good.  I wonder why there are so many inconsistencies in this Kit.  Very strange.

IMG_5221.JPG

Material list is dated back to  February 2014, no dates on the plans besides the copyright date of 2007.

Syren is now boxed, awaiting news from ModelExpo.

Respectfully

Sorry to hear the problems you've faced.  I must say I've been really looking forward to the build.  But if parts don't match plans it becomes a different experience - not one for me yet.

Doug

14 minutes ago, David Rice said:

I noticed that the plans in my original Kit were different than the ones they sent me as replacements also.  My contents sheet is 1/18/2017.  My original plans were printed on over sized large sheets of paper. The sheets were so big that the drawings only covered the bottom right half of the sheets! The rest was empty paper. The Plans were dog eared, and folded and refolded multiple times in the wrong places. The new plans are on smaller sheets and look pretty good.  I wonder why there are so many inconsistencies in this Kit.  Very strange.

IMG_5221.JPG

my plans were also on the really large format sheet - just filled the bottom quarter (actually probably bottom 1/3) of the sheet.  I presumed it was just a matter of standard sizes of the paper its printed on.

Doug

My plans are good,they even match the body former for length. Its just the templates didn't copy out correctly. For some reason I'm having printer problems and can't get the right size out of it or even to print for that matter. Error code says I'm having network problems. Material sheet says Jan. 2014. Also remember this is one of the kits I found in somebody's recycle bin. I'm going ahead with the build and will work proportionately to get things right. The instructions are excellent and will follow them.

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Per- I hope you don't give up on this build. It's a well designed kit as we all know. Wonder why the QC is an issue on this one. Looks like you need a new set of plans and new plywood from Model Expo. Keep us posted on how they resolve this one for you. 

Steve

42 minutes ago, Heronguy said:

my plans were also on the really large format sheet - just filled the bottom quarter (actually probably bottom 1/3) of the sheet.  I presumed it was just a matter of standard sizes of the paper its printed on.

I actually have 2 size plans.  The 1/3 plans i guess were just printed on large paper and not the smaller paper.  Parts list 6/2015.

IMG_4065.jpg.6050457b2278abab34caa1d154e5a3bd.jpg

22 minutes ago, MEDDO said:

I actually have 2 size plans.  The 1/3 plans i guess were just printed on large paper and not the smaller paper.  Parts list 6/2015.

IMG_4065.jpg.6050457b2278abab34caa1d154e5a3bd.jpg

My original plans did not look like that.  They should invest in a paper cutter.

Looking back, I should have just sent my Kit back. But, I figured I had gotten too far along on the build to do that. 

I still do not like  pink colored treated plywood. It chips and has weak hollow spots. I have already filled in some of the holes. Reinforced the Bulk Head stems with glue /water solution helps.

I will say that the planking material in the Kit looks real good. Best I have ever seen before.

Now you know why I am doing my own kits and projects.....LOL

I feel so bad about this guys,  I hope you guys get it sorted out with Expo.

Chuck

I will re-open this build log once I have the correct items from ModelExpo.

Mr. Mosko has been amazing and replying very fast.

He is on top of my problem.

Respectfully

WELL...LOOK AT IT THIS WAY....NOBODY SAID SHIP BUILDING WAS EASY, SO LOOK AT IT LIKE A BIG PROBLEM SOLVING PUZZLE. I THINK THE PLANS ARE MINIMAL AND THERE IS NEED FOR A LOT MORE CONSTRUCTION PHOTOS IN MUCH CLEARER DETAIL THAN THE BOOK THEY GIVE YOU. The verbal instructions are very detailed but I fog over if I have to read too much. I've  BEEN "WINGING IT"  WITH MY KIT FOR QUITE A WHILE. SOME  OF THE REASONS ARE MY OWN DOING SINCE I AM BUILDING "THE ARGUS" USING "THE SYREN AS A BASE. Good luck!

Rich,

you don't have to write with capital letters, I understand you anyway.

Yes, ship modeling is always about winging it, however, it is good to have a solid base to work from.

Respectfully

I chose the Syren because I wanted the learning experience.  I am getting my money's worth..............