The Jolly Roger by popeye the sailor - Lindberg - 1:130 - PLASTIC

thanks Tom......I'm glad I remembered  as much as I have ;)    I'm doing some of the standing rigging at the moment.   thanks for the good word :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

OK....that's it!!!   >scowling at this god forsaken model<   using this stand is for the birds!   tying lines or tinkering with her causes her to tilt and list back and fourth,  sometimes forcing her to lay on the desk!   it's sooooo unstable!    I'm going to make a stand for her........a build stand rather,  seeing that there are other ships that will require the benefits of something a bit more stable.   the bow is almost rigged........but going any further is fruitless,  because as soon as I went a bit further ..........she laid down and the spanker gaff got broken off by the crane light!   

we'll see what I come up with.............. ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Your model is coming along very well. Nice work.

Holding the model in some sort of bench mounted vise will probably do the trick. I have seen that done with several models over the years. Seems to work pretty well. The best vises allow you to swivel the model around to different angles.

Russ

I've seen them.......I may either buy one or make one in the future.  I've seen quite few logs that use them.   I usually do my models right on the cradle supplied in the kit.   I had made an extra one when I first did the Nordkap......the trawler has it now.   since I have three of these little buggers in my possession now,   I'll make a stand that'll work for all of them,  and use their supplied stands when they are finished.   perhaps that will make for a nice Christmas present too....I'm starting to pine for power tools ;) 

thanks for the suggestion Russ......I'm really starting to think about how to make my life easier :)    thanks for the good word :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

anyway.....yesterday,  I began to rig the bow.   I am going to use the sails ......I sewed one of the spirit sails to it's yard.  that went pretty good :)    

594c43813ca63_1.jpg.fc389dca5b496d021f42ebf85a5ed5ed.jpg

this was met with little resistance.......but the further I went,  the more it rocked the boat.

594c43e2c9cb1_2.jpg.fbeece6ee2c53936fac938aa5ca76740.jpg

I'm using a thicker black thread......it's working out OK.   I sewed the sail at this time.......while I was doing that,  the boat flipped on her side,  and the spanker gaff broke off!

594c458f74a68_3.jpg.e96be31160a820751343fce8637b2d76.jpg

at this point....everything stopped.  I will make a stand to keep her steady.  more on this when I get back.......the admiral announced that she's hungry!  :imNotWorthy:  she who should be obeyed.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

you do make a valid point though Russ......I've become too complacent relying on the supplied stands.  I'll do something for this one.......but I'll look towards ramping things up a notch ;) 

for this......I'll need a volunteer.   you sir.........I like the cut of YOUR jib!  you look like a perfect 36!   step right up here..........

>the flying Dutchman comes to the table<

594c4cdc97036_1.jpg.a36b706bb3e0b2450ed9e6b5243e8577.jpg 

look!  he' laugh'in so hard his sides split!  com'on my good man...pull yourself together.....here's some tape!  nyuck.....nyuck.....nyuck!   let's take a look here........stick out yer tongue!.....you got a coat on it......put on a pair of pants and take it for a walk!  >where's my cigar<   anyway......you look to be this.....this.....and this ;)  icky Mae.  hold on wilst we go to the wood shed  >lucky man....we're gonna make you your very own seats of ease!

594c4f0d02d7a_2.jpg.2a508941cbf4f0fdd5513ff3404c511e.jpg

there we are!   I didn't measure anything either........cut the base and the cradle parts!   cemented the front cradle part to the base,  and reinforced it with short lengths of square stuff.

594c4fa6d80cf_3.jpg.d5346b33c200a8d09abacb90b0464b68.jpg

594c4fb3f361a_4.jpg.88c8d703d8139ce2b988e392c0823b1a.jpg

when the Dutchie could climb on board.......the other cradle part was marked off and then added to the base.   I spared no expense with the xtra pieces of wood

594c5042d42c4_5.jpg.c3fd045e161f25c83a57e11251318ede.jpg

after it was dry........there were a couple of adjustments to be made.....totally cosmedic {cosmetic} {pick which one ya want I assure you....both of them gets under my skin}.  Ok....climb right up there Dutchie and have a seat.......newspaper is extra ;) 

594c513f80d21_6.jpg.2ac823fedca4e7e383681fd8832f3774.jpg

not bad.....but a little more off the sides.   I'll make that adjustment.....then it's out to the wood shed for a paint job.  then it can get these nice cushions........a little cush for the tush ;) 

594c51b336543_7.jpg.97b3190f4bce998239c9fe781862bf65.jpg

>a paint job and an oil change later...............<

WHOA........BABY!!!!!!!   look'in good!  if this is what the best dressed boat models are wearing today........  I am like soooooo enthused!   

594c52ab79f6d_8.jpg.5e7c3fe440c5881472b5c707aaebbc13.jpg

now maybe I can get some rigging done........in peace ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That looks very sturdy. So long as she will not roll on you, I think that will work.

Russ

it's sturdy.......I have the J.R. on it now :)   this isn't a remedy for all .......definitely won't fit the bigger hulls.   when I get back to it,  the first order of business will be to get the spanker gaff back on.  I'll likely need to do the running rigging for it,  to support it.  

odd.......I just looked under the stand.......there is what looks like the Lindberg line logo,  but the field inside is etched out.   I wonder why?

thanks Russ!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking great Popeye.  That ship does have big tenancy to roll off the stand.  The new one will definitely fix that.  

thanks Daniel..........I feel it already :D  :D    I went to all the trouble to make the stand.......and what do I do......use the stand from the Thermopylae.    I needed to be able to put her at a pretty drastic slant.  I did the chains,  the gun port lids,  and the pegs for the tack lines.   I was going to call it an evening,  and that's when I thought about using Thermie's stand.   I did the starboard side first,  installing everything,  and then touched it all up at once.  I have plenty of that super soft wire,  found in many Billing kits.  it was easy to cut and shape.

594ca45c984b6_1.jpg.ccc2e6acffb5da4e5c07ed47254d7f19.jpg

594ca4697fdfb_2.jpg.6a3004b01c61addeabc19f06d3cd6dd2.jpg

then I did the port side.   here I am complaining about this small crane light..........I got better pictures at my desk,  than at my table ;)     go figure.

594ca4d632dfb_3.jpg.053cb59689d137fa8262e8f2d268e7cb.jpg

594ca4e3ce508_4.jpg.773a367a0c394d73b55e01c34522685d.jpg

now I can proceed with the rigging without having to worry about doing that other crap! ;) 

594ca539d6011_5.jpg.a6d9f730d44e4b887de13f4192e84359.jpg

thanks for look'in in......and thanks to all who hit the like button :)     Happy camper signing off ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Love the paint you used.  She looks weathered.  I'll have to scroll back and see how you did that.

thanks Daniel........all that is,  is diluted flat black enamel.  once diluted to a point,  it becomes a wash.......how much you dilute it,  will give you different degrees of appearance.   along the dead eyes and around the chains is very diluted....the chains themselves,  not diluted much at all.   although I did want the copper look to show through a little.    thanks for the good word.......and thanks to all who hit the like button :) 

not much to report so far....the stand is working great!   but with what I'm trying to do with the rigging,  I'm finding that the mast trees are not very strong.   I was hoping to wait on the back stays,  but I'm having to do them at the same time as the other stays.   update soon......thanks for look'in in :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice!! Denis...... real nice... just went thru your log, great work as always.... REALLY love the color on the hull .

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

thanks you Zoltan....I don't do much in the way of weathering.  I usually look at it the next day,  and clean it up.   I'm such a tidy whitie person ;)   it has worked out great though......I'm able to hide all the glue marks and stuff with it ;)    thanks for the good word!  

FRANK!!!!!   so nice to see you! :)   I was sitting here one day......and thought to myself that I hadn't seen you around...I started to get concerned.  I'm not a big fan of "in your face' book....but I thought I'd give it a try.   one of these days......I'll have to get SKYPE working,  so we can chat! :)     I'm glad you like the build....for an odd duck, it's coming along OK. {I changed a few things}  hope to see you more ....your such a nice person ;) 

thanks for the likes........I have a couple of pictures, but I have to run out at the moment........I'll be back! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice going Denis, lovely work.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

sorry I didn't get back last evening.........I had supper and Zonked out.   .....tough day at work ;)    these two pictures were taken before the camera decided it needed a recharge.   I was at my desk,  so the pictures may not be too good.   the blocks work well.......here is the what the lower one looks like.......the bottom main stay is doubled and will look thicker that all the rest.

595061b552f8b_1.jpg.2464c8277f75ad44507988cdcfff29a0.jpg

the stay will terminate with a pulley assembly at the base of the fore mast......like this...

595061ec5d07d_2.jpg.6a1e37ee69d1d824a831e8a2aaa77783.jpg

then I realized that doing the stays in this manner,  would be too much for the mast trees.....causing them to bend very easily.   I had to add the back stays to help me out.   later,  it ended up on my table.....I had to stand to better run the rigging.   I didn't take too many pictures...feeding the camera.......but I ended up with this bit of progress.

5950630bd57fa_3.jpg.a9163a38aa00f1856d59eb9fc3d32df2.jpg

here's a better shot of the main stay rigging.

5950632b095de_4.jpg.a58a924971ad0e4334079243206dfd81.jpg

.....and the pulley assemblies associated with them.

5950634e61f91_5.jpg.c84d00e444842978e1e73fbca1017788.jpg

the mizzen will only have this one stay that is done this way.........it's not tied off yet.

595063b504999_6.jpg.00803d739fbc87b36b99feb56ac8a804.jpg

the other blocks you see will be devoted to the braces.    there is one other stay that I need to add to the mizzen........I may do it this way as well.

5950641fb96ab_7.jpg.7d2f5681322c486ce23a0866ac1582e1.jpg

this is the standing rigging ......so far.   I will do the rest when I get back to her.   then I can start the running rigging ;)    thanks for looking in :)     thanks for the good word Piet........and thanks to those who hit the like button :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks for the likes gents :)     the work week is over........back to the fun stuff.......tomorrow ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

time for an update :)    I've been busy with the standing rigging......it's been interesting,  since the masts are pretty flimsy.   getting them so they are not contorted out of shape has been a trial,  but I've done a reasonable job of it.  where I left off was with most of the standing rigging done on the fore and main masts.......the mizzen had suffered a set back,  with the spanker gaff breaking off.   the build stand I made is working out very well,  in keeping the ship stable and upright......I've been able to go a lot further.   the first thing to be done,  was to cement the spanker gaff back in place.  I had to use the lift rigging to help with holding it in place as it dried.

595543ea652ca_1.jpg.706c752984a136f39fc7b6b47c074c6f.jpg

595543f6ae78d_2.jpg.bf2f958c54a1ec81739b093e347a28c1.jpg

while this was drying, the sails were sewed to the bow spirit yards and they were cemented in place.

595544419aa64_3.jpg.be79b26f440a4edde48562eeab5d6eb7.jpg

it's been quite some time since I dealt with plastic sails.......they came out well.   the jib sails were cut out,  along with the main stay sail,  and these too were tied and rigged into place.

595544f81c9e4_4.jpg.e5b29aa821bf78eeab7f3a8e12f6b225.jpg

5955450fb8926_5.jpg.d995e00f5929e257878ea2670c3505d1.jpg

5955451f71379_6.jpg.3dfcb8f895961b8feb50dd6207fb9baf.jpg

5955453b0acc3_7.jpg.5d081551c9c93af61e1f9d1c3cf3fd0a.jpg

it can be seen that the spanker gaff was dry enough to complete the lift rigging.   the mizzen wasn't out of the woods yet though.........one cuff later,  and one of the shrouds became dislocated underneath.   I had to wait till all cement points were dry,  so I could remove all the clothes pins and repair it.   the mizzen stays and back stays have wet to be done anyway,  so that will get pushed back for a little while.  I need to add a couple more lines to the bow,  as well as the anchors.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I'm not a big fan of using CA for rigging.........for the very reason you see in some of the pictures.   it seeps down the thread and makes it stiff and hard to shape.   for most of the rigging,  I used white glue.   I ran into a bit of trouble with the spanker sail........punching holes in the wrong edge.   I took the one out of the Flying Dutchman kit to replace it.........I'll either trim the other sail,  or fish around in the box of sails for something that will work {I have an abundance of these sails from the Cutty build}.   of course the angle of the gaff didn't match the original sail and I compensated for it......but  I also forgot to do this with the replacement sail.   no harm though,  cuz I was able to do it.   

5955491b6f0ae_1.jpg.fa515321d576b1fa77930b58ab08e69c.jpg

I added  a single block on the upper step of the main mast for the upper mizzen stay sail.   as I did with the main mast stays,  I will do with the mizzen stays,  tying a double block to each one of them.

5955499bc67cd_2.jpg.6df3ac6db5916fed7880f949913011f8.jpg

595549aa92ae1_3.jpg.c203f9cf448952a451280d0a53b11086.jpg

they came out just as well too :)   I did the mizzen back stays before rigging these two.

59554a024fd74_4.jpg.6c742e546a4e7cf227648f0d366e3732.jpg

59554a14e75f3_5.jpg.cc39e8c35f390d0b37cc5458ab078adc.jpg

the running rigging needs to be done,  in regards to the spanker sail.  eye bolts were added on both bulwarks,  and one was added to the rudder.   after I add two more eye bolts,  I can ad the monkey chain.

59554b220dc12_6.jpg.242c9f7949b48c435d9265ff70fadb08.jpg

59554b3073771_7.jpg.f212492fa9f45a01a5b9127cadabcdc8.jpg

and this is where I leave off again.   there one more stay sail to hang,  and then I can move on to the yards........eight of them....seven will have sails.   more soon!

thanks for look'in in :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Bob.   there isn't much sag because I try to make the standing rigging more taught than the running rigging.  to dissect the roles that rigging plays the shrouds do {I believe}  about 80% in maintaining the erect centering of the masts.  the stays maintain the forward pull,  where the back stays provide the backward pull,  giving a sort of tripod support for the masts.  plastic models display the rigging.......the stays,  merely tied to the associated mast.   coming here on the site,  I've gotten to see how the stay rigging is actually done....routed through a block and then down to an adjustable pulley assembly,  at deck level.   having these blocks from the Revell kits,  enabled me to try this out on the model.   I really like how it looks.......and it's a lot more plausible than what is seen in the plastic model.

I arrived with a formula for finding absolute zero.  all thread has different amounts of stretch.   take a piece in your fingers and pull it tight.......then loosen it gradually,  until it starts to become limp.

repeat the test and study the tension.....at the point where the thread begins to go limp.....that tiny window in between is absolute zero.  standing rigging should be a little tighter than that......the running rigging should be at zero.   I used to have that problem too.......but using this formula,  it's worked out much better.   ideas and methods that I gleaned from here have also helped.

thanks for the good word :)    thanks Russ and EJ for the likes ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice work Denis and thanks for your formula on making the standing rigging work.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Denis

I've just caught up again and, wow, she's looking really top notch.  You've obviously had some issues, what with Gibbs and the tipsy stand, but you have overcome them beautifully.

Oh, and before I forget!  I had no idea how big your trawler was until I saw both models together in some of the earlier photos.  That's quite a difference in size.

My question, of course is...where are you going to get all the room to store these wonderful models of yours???

Cheers

Patrick

Nice looking plastic sails Denis.... your rigging is coming along nicely...

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

sorry about the late reply gents.......I wrote this the other night and forgot to post it :(     I should know better than to visit during the work week,  as I am usually quite tired and tend to fall asleep at the computer.  the admiral ends up herding me into the living room,  where I'll end up sleeping on the couch.  I hope to retire someday ;) 

7-2-2017

thanks Piet.......with the large scale Revell kits I've done in the past....I've had the chance to try things out.   some of the running rigging can be done somewhat limp,  and will have hardly any impact on the rest of the rigging :) 

thanks Patrick........Gibbs is hardly an issue........I do my best not to drop anything on the floor :)    the trawler is 1:30......I think.....the Jolly Rogers is 1:130........yepper,  big difference!   I have a large living room.......that's where I put up the big shelving that I photo'd the group.  I'm thinking of moving them around to try and add another shelf.   then again,  there's no complaints about me putting up another one :)    thanks for the kind word!

I do have a few pictures in the camera still..........the spanker have the sheet lines and the vangs now.   I've also done the mizzen stay sail.   next will be the rest of the sails......then I can do the lifts and braces.   thanks to all who hit the like button :) 

7-4-2017

I love this new feature in the reply submission.......without it,  all that I had written would have been lost.   it brings it up and gives you the option to keep it or delete it....perfect for guys like me!  hi there Frank!  I can't believe I'm working with plastic sails either :D    they're just right for this model though....it's the rigging that I'm focusing on.   I'm trying to incorporate the way it's supposed to be done,  as opposed to how it's done with plastic kits.   there is so much that is left out........for anyone to add any into their builds,  will enhance the model quite a bit! :)   one oversight I did was to rig blocks with a eye bolt on both ends.......with the way I see the lifts running,  the extra eye will not be needed.  no biggie.....I can simply trim them off.   I also forgot to add them for the lower mizzen yard......but that's not a big problem either.   I'm almost out of the gray blocks.......I will have to use some of the brown blocks for the yards.....I have no more single blocks in gray.  you might say I wasted four of them......adding them to the backs of the fore and main tops,  but I'm not going to remove them,  since they seem to add a tiny bit more detail.   I finally got the pictures out of the camera too.   here's where the model is so far.........the vangs and sheet lines for the spanker sail.

595ba8ffccea9_1.jpg.17d7bb8b12989278de730dc122cae4b4.jpg

595ba912bd206_2.jpg.7aa2bc109f1db7c5cc330c01fd4db230.jpg

then the mizzen stay sail......

595ba940dae85_3.jpg.bb931ba6406f2c0b322f3591e9822c76.jpg

595ba950dc9a7_4.jpg.e4ad0c715c20c8905fcb51aec68bd4b8.jpg

then the lower mizzen yard.........I forgot to add the blocks

595ba95ed406e_5.jpg.c51254e41df1fdd7e90fa58839c7f4e5.jpg

I'll see how much 'yard' work I can get done today ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looks nice Denis.......

frank

USRC "ALERT"

thanks Frank.........and to all who hit the like button :)     there are seven sails to go.......the idea starts out with trying to speed things up a little.   the process of sewing on the sails does take a bit of time.   the day was also devoted to tying on all the blocks that will be needed to rig the yards.   all I have left of the gray blocks are a few double blocks......I may be 1 shy,  I'll have to tie them and see.    having made the observation that the extra eye on the ones I already tied,  will not be needed...I cut them all off.   I believe this is where the phrase "you'll live to regret it" comes to mind,  because now that I'm at this stage,  examination the line routing is proving otherwise.   so I will have to make do with what's here.........it's not as bad as it sounds though.   as an example,  I rigged the lifts for the lower mizzen yard,  after tying on the single blocks for it.

595cf79ba162c_1.jpg.94ddfb42af4dfcb8701e72ac762848ac.jpg

clothes pins will keep the lines taught until I get around to terminating them.   blocks for the upper yards were tied on.......a pair for the lifts,  and a pair for the sheet/clew lines.   I put these two lines together for this model........should prove to be interesting.  here is the top fore mast yard and the upper mizzen yard.

595cf8a6c3dc3_2.jpg.ce32129da1ddaf92d985a12e35ed1b63.jpg

these are just single blocks........the lower fore and main yards are done with a pair of double blocks,  and a pair of single blocks.

595cf91471860_3.jpg.ba6ae1e13ce76fff6a23ba7a04eb5bc1.jpg

the double blocks are there......their just folded up under the yards........it's good that they are this flexible.   they will conform to the rigging when done {this might be the thorn in the side of many a modeler}.   sewing on the bow spirit sails was done by hand {naturally}......holding them and sewing them as I went along.   I did the same for the upper mizzen sail......as mentioned.....time consuming {but then again.......so was tying on all the blocks}.  I need to trim off the excess thread.

595cfa5dd14af_4.jpg.6aedf859e25cae2a82980e1916193b00.jpg

in doing the lower fore mast yard....I started to do it by hand.....then I thought I'd try something different.  I got out the 'helping hands'  and set the yard up on it.    well.......first it started out badly,  having continued backwards {I had to remove four or five loops}.   then it compounded with the loose thread getting hung up on all appendages sticking out on the 'hands'.   coupled with the fireworks that was going on outside.......I was getting rather vexed.

595cfbc72bfeb_5.jpg.04e48144ab94122b9a713c1feba97df0.jpg

by the time it was done......I was fit to be tied >insert pun<  I saw that perhaps the clew blocks could have been more to the center.......there's quite a gap there.   I though of maybe tying on a couple more blocks,  but then it would appear like a bunt or leech line,  and I really don't want to go that far into it.  so,  it may stay like it is.

595cfceb2be73_6.jpg.d8d0be137fc582b8cb799ad63d2aef5a.jpg

note the double block on top,  and single below.........the use of these block is far better than those stupid rings ;)    six more sails to go............not tonight though.......I left this,  to something a little less tedious.   the upper mizzen yard assembly was cemented in place.   while it was still drying,  the lifts and clew lines were rigged and weighted,  to hold the yard in place as it totally cured

it's an interesting set up.........the sheet/clew idea doesn't look too bad ;) 

595cfee6bc743_7.jpg.1917786085515a6dcf80e117a25e2542.jpg

starting out as a sheet line,  it's simply run through the corners to keep the sail in place...........then through the block as a clew line.

595cff6873940_8.jpg.f2b977991069489295c7dec41387909a.jpg

the lower lifts, upper lifts,  and upper clew lines need to be terminated at this point.   I will do this tomorrow,  as I tie the other yard assemblies.   hopefully,  I can get them all done,  so I can do the fore mast...........tall order?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

ever notice what's on my computer screen when I post...........that screen stays on there for long periods of time as I build.  I'm thinking of snapping a screen shot,  to use as a desk top,  so I'll feel more at home! :D  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Robert........love the Depp look ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: