Nirvana

Bluenose by Nirvana - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64

I didn't realize but saw I have had a "duh" moment. This as the instructions clearly stated, use a plank to clamp to the bulkhead for installation of the stanchions.

Well, obviously they knew from the start that was the way to go.

There are a lot of cutting to get them done.20171024_205044.thumb.jpg.b9e0465e137aedf05e16ba0f765a53e5.jpg

I am considering cutting the heads from the bulkhead and replace them with stanchions. This to make them look uniformed.

Looking good!

I agree that the stanchions from the bulkheads leave a bit to be desired.  I ran into the same thing.  They do stand out once you get the others in there.

If I remember correctly from my build, I left the stanchions from the bulkheads in place and added the bulwark planking.  Once that was secure, I added the 'false' stanchions.  Once those were all in place, I went back and cut the bulkhead's stanchions out and replaced them with 'fake' ones.  This way I was able to get the planking nice and straight thanks to the bulkhead's stanchions, but ended up with a uniform look since I cut them out later.  If you cut the bulkhead ones off first, I think it might take some work to keep everything aligned for the bulwark planking.

Mike,

That was a piece I created myself.

One of many, the final is now glued into place.

The final was number six.

Funny though,  I think Bluenose has been given me more challenges than the longboat. But someone has once said - be persistent. 

A pictorial update.

This block is just balsa to show how I started out.

The final part was made out of boxwood.

59fe7ff03511b_Sternconstruction.JPG.9063d0d6c9c743aca8d6ff7642eab29d.JPG

After I had somewhat the right size of the boxwood block the Dremel came into use.

There are a lot of angles to consider.

59fe7feb36050_Sternconstruction1.JPG.179d0ea1abbf424da8bebe7f1f6639b4.JPG

I made one block and then made a mirrored part.

59fe7fec0ad70_Sternconstruction2.JPG.91e552e8e3591fa1d82b7892a26fd499.JPG

Then dry placing the part at the end of the quarter deck, to figure out how much to cut off.

59fe7fece07a0_Sternconstruction3.JPG.c98431ce00d2ac8928c67da4afb7315b.JPG

This part in the middle is the right one to install.

59fe7fedaa090_Sternconstruction4.JPG.d35ce1f1d48927b3a851ece13454219d.JPG

Here are the port and starboard part testing the area.

59fe7fee84a3f_Sternconstruction5.JPG.a12b943091599e881bc046dd12d42414.JPG

Some more trimming and then it will be time to add the waist parts.

Below is all my trial parts.

59fe7fef51ee5_Sternconstruction6.JPG.08cab9d7a6fd642816b0d666aea608c7.JPG

So are you making these pieces because the kit calls for you to? Broken in the box? Just got the urge? If it's the kit then did the plans provide you with dimensions?

The pieces are there on the plans, no dimensions provided. No parts either.

Instruction and plans says, use a block to shape.

A caliper was all I used to lift the dimensions, from there pure determination 😀

Edited by Nirvana

On 6/5/2017 at 1:42 PM, Nirvana said:

I also have Gene's practicum for references while building the kit.

Please tell me more about that. I have Laucks practicum by Bob Hunt, but it's too simple. Not "learning" anything from it.

Brian, 

Click on the link for download of the practicum, this one is based of pof and totally scratch building.

But it does go into depth when it comes to explanation of building.

Look at the plans, there are two pieces for that bulkhead. One of the is supporting the planks on the foredeck.

I made both of them.

Edited by Nirvana

If I understand it correctly, I found one piece with the rudder and see where that goes. It had to be cut in half. Then there's the great beam that's .09X.2" and the shorter one next to that so that my sailors have something to trip over. I just don't see the pre-cut parts for the great beam. I can fabricate to within .02". It looks like it'd be about 1/64" off.

Mike,

I bought that saw from UMM-USA.

Back to the stern construction.

There are two post to be added at the stern, I saw how they are installed they would be prone to break off once installed.

So I used this lateral plank for support.

5a0ba06beabf0_Sternconstruction7.thumb.JPG.54ac412137e4daeb773080f9de6d40c1.JPG

Having the notches cut out I dry installed one of the post just to get a verification this was getting somewhat right.

5a0ba07c5d91f_Sternconstruction8.thumb.JPG.3a97109fa7c2174a1fa6623f70e6caf8.JPG

Then it was just to add the glue and have them put in place.

5a0ba081d134e_Sternconstruction9.thumb.JPG.83477c6c5883d02a3245879600c36512.JPG

Once the glue had set in a little I corrected the angle of the post to left.

I will use this setup and plank the inside first, doing so will create a sturdy area for exterior planking.

I have to make sure I do a backup of pictures for build log, this as I use both regular camera but also the phones camera.

Update from last night.

The interior stern planking is completed. And I didn't break the posts.

Remaining planking of transom/stern is now in progress (not for the moment this hour) ;)

3520.thumb.jpeg.56c57491d8821b408dd469768497f397.jpeg3518.thumb.jpeg.9493a9d628760b4d7e790e74eb1c44a2.jpeg