Bluenose by Nirvana - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64

Getting closer to final "dressing" of the stern planking.

The planking is certainly in need of putty and sanding to get that smooth surface Bluenose is in need of.

5a0e6b763f0f0_sternplanking.thumb.JPG.4d74a7393db10bd98d7d8d031c428926.JPG

P1030799.thumb.JPG.928534eef2a7411608f8c0e4ca9460d0.JPG

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

look'in very nice Per  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hmm, so it seems that my bluenose got a little fat stern area...:D

Nothing that can be fixed.

First I checked the laser piece towards the plan, and found it accurate.

5a1210dccc378_sternmainrailpart.thumb.JPG.91942dca75d3748881cefc816b282aa1.JPG

Well, placing the piece on the ship and I saw she was wider than I thought, must be all the ice cream consumed while modeling :P

When doing so having the main rail part on the stanchions, I can have it flush with the waist without any overhang, but this will give her a large lip instead.

5a1210bb5c816_Mainrailwaist.thumb.JPG.f0d9a139be649257d2822a6a1e34f664.JPG

5a1210da6c3b5_sternmainrailflush.thumb.JPG.c7227b6dd1ff011f8717fbca8810bd43.JPGMy solution and this was the easy way out instead of making a whole new piece.

I made two cuts into the part, and then will create fill pieces. Once painted only I will know along with everybody else following this thread.

This way there won't be a lip but also I will get the overhang I am looking for.

Pictures are exaggerated. 

5a1210d71b200_sternmainrailcut.thumb.JPG.a9de786b9ed333819ee25163482a62f4.JPG 

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Nice fix.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

I don't believe you're the first to have a misfit piece.  I believe I read this several times in older build logs that this piece needed to be trimmed or remade.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Derek,

thanks that makes me feel better.

Respectfully

So I tried various varnishes for my deck on separate planks.

Fell for one that enhanced just a notch, here is the fore-deck still wet.

I think together with the grey waterway and white inside of waist and stanchions it will turn out okay.

This is a lighter varnish, and maybe gives me a chance to make it darker if I like.5a177826b1705_varnishedforedeck.thumb.JPG.18e642cd110be1febd292ee66770826f.JPG

Respectfully

Beautiful decking!

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Doug, 

I am okay with it, the nibbling was a challenge and with the varnish the flaws are showing up.

Respectfully

What I was struck by in particular was the darker and lighter planks interspersed. I think it looks awesome that way! The varnish brings out such a nice lustre.

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Nibbing is always a bear. That's why so many people skip it. Nice work!

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

the deck and bulwarks look super Per.   regarding the stern......if this was a Billing's kit,  there is a mistake on the old and newer production of the model.  the keel spine on the older kit is 300 mm,  while the newer production measures it at 310 mm.  it's misleading that they show rounded transom as well...especially up at the stern bulwarks.  so,  when the cap rail is added,  it won't fit correctly.   the keel problem really doesn't add to the transom woes,  but creates a nasty gap at the deck division.   the transom problem does though.....had the same problem with the AmericA.   you did very well to alleviate that.....something I will have to take care of when I start my Bluenose project.  really like that way you did it  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Deck is looking really nice Per. Re your comment:-

16 hours ago, Nirvana said:

the nibbling was a challenge and with the varnish the flaws are showing up.

Have you tried mixing a little deck sanding dust with PVA and filling the areas you are concerned about with the mixture?

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

So there is always curve-balls thrown at us ship-modelers, and this ball at the stern has really got me going.

For a while I was on my own creating my own boom sheet buffer. But I couldn't get it right so I stayed with the metal piece provided in the kit.

However, the legs weren't long enough to have them sticking down into the deck as the plans were showing.

Again, the think hat had to come on.

And this is the outcome.

Some extra sanding is needed and final painting too.

5a190092831aa_boomsheetbuffersetup.thumb.JPG.c70b0fae0385998ad8b4e1f9e142d1de.JPG

5a19008a523a4_boomsheetbuffersetup1.thumb.JPG.a17ecfd613adc7ddb727f6ac8778cae1.JPG

5a19008e7dee7_boomsheetbuffersetup2.thumb.JPG.21e123fcc87755d8f71ad1e9def5cfa5.JPG

Oh, I had to add some extra material on top of the side parts as they were shorter than the stern piece.

Respectfully

The buffer house is now completed with the buffer inserted, some touch up paint is in need.

The part along with the rail is not glued into place yet, but I am pleased with the result.

5a19ea05d9034_mainrailwaisttop.thumb.JPG.6f747fb8ec6064ade524687506d80b4e.JPG

The over view of the decking is showing the second layer of varnish, I used golden oak which is very universal varnish.

It's now drying and waiting for more add-ons.

5a19ea4456d22_overviewvarnisheddeck.thumb.JPG.09f3366e17e23029f9752c23a1df594c.JPG

Respectfully

Vallejo has a white foundation paint, which I used on the waist and stanchions at the port quarter area.

Good or bad I don't know but I have a feeling this base might good enough for a single layer regular white.

5a1a2f51c77ed_portwaiststanchionspainted.thumb.JPG.85a66b07c81bfae6176384b05151b321.JPG

It's bright but probably a good contrast as well.

Respectfully

Does Genes practicum show specifics on planking? How to use bands and such?

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

My first trial of air brushing, doing this on the hull. And it turned out so much better than I expected, no running paint at all.

So I proceeded with painting the inside of the waist with the airbrush. So easy and the coverage great as well.

Looking forward doing more airbrushing.

5a2337ca96c07_airbrushingtrial.thumb.JPG.32f733d4596fef1c641590198532e7e7.JPG

I will do more white airbrushing of the hull for the next step of black/blue and the dull red for the bottom.

Respectfully

It's the only way to fly....

Before I am getting ahead of myself it's time to find the location for the pedestals.

I measured the inside height of each pedestal and used the plan to determine the locations for them.

5a23a17a711b9_pedistaldispostion.thumb.JPG.24576a86c7ca5f0a3200c793ac2398c2.JPG

Now I have to figure decide whether to go with the board I have or mount the it all on a single board.

Using the board the Bluenose is sitting on right now will off-center it in a case. I think that will make it look strange.

With the pedestals and a single board display case Bluenose will be centered properly.

Thoughts and ideas are highly valued in this matter.

If any has pictures I like to see them, just link them in your reply.

Respectfully

I am preparing the hull for the major painting...... there are a lot of small holes that are in need of care before the final paint.

During the session of air brushing, one of my brushes is not doing its job properly, it's not spraying paint but only air..... which is weird, as I have cleaned the whole unit.

Anyway, despite of that I am getting ready for more painting.

5a24dbda0ac1b_blendedimage.JPG.3f28e6c29c204ab1cbe036b307a0273a.JPG

Respectfully

Per - what paint are you using and are you thinning it? Even the "airbrush" paint can stand to be thinned out.  There are various ratios but surprisingly you can add a lot of thinner.  Vallejo also makes some good additives. And of course your weather can have a major effect on how the paint comes out.

Mike, I am using exclusively Vallejo paint.

Had a long talk with a gentleman at HobbyTown yesterday, regarding the three brands they carried at their store.

When it comes to pigments Vallejo is the one to go with.

Thanks for your comment regarding thinner, I did purchase that too. 

The last picture is showing Bluenose non-painted starboard side.

It only has a foundation and added "filler".

Am to try the automotive blue filler someday as someone in here has vouched the easiness of working it.

Respectfully

One other question Per - does your airbrush have the bottle underneath or the cup on top?

Mike, 

one is a single action, bottle underneath and a dual action cup on top.

The single action is a paasche airbrush, but the connector is wrong towards the compressor so I haven't used it yet.

Respectfully

When you are cleaning your dual action do you know about the 'backflush'?  Put a little cleaner in the cup. Put the cap on tightly. Unscrew the little crown on the end where the paint comes out. Don't lose it, they can be expensive. Put a finger or thumb over the opening at that end - careful you can stick your finger with the needle. Run the brush for a few seconds, both air & paint. If you do it right you'll get a spray or mist coming out the tiny hole on the cap. Your basically forcing air backwards and that can blow out stuff that normal cleaning doesn't move. Empty any extra cleaner from the cup - it will be all dirty. Then add a bit of fresh cleaner and spray normally.

There may be a way to do the same with the bottle type but I don't know it. I have both types and the single action bottle brush rarely gets used.

when painting large areas,  air brush can save you a lot of time and give you a nice finish.  sounds like your using a siphon feed.....I use one as well,  but it's an el cheepo  ;)    glad to hear your finding it easier.  your doing a super job.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

My simple setup for waterline marker.

Now time paint the white waterline area.

5a2da821993a4_waterlinesetup.JPG.87d3f5e3aa1d759b9c7d6cf35600e628.JPG

Respectfully

I took a step back and reviewed my lines........ and no way I am to use them.

My setup was too simple and inaccurate.

I had heard about using laser for the purpose and after a lot of tweaking with the setup bench I was ready.

And after this I am to get my own laser as this worked out so fine.

To get this correctly I used a mdf board normally used for shelving and added the pedestals as I had marked out on plan and boat.

This setup would ensure proper waterline.5a36a4d993716_Secondtry.JPG.11269e4b6cadbb4c532b05ec57fbde72.JPG

Next was to secure her and align it all with water levelers.

5a36a4dd4ab02_Setup2.JPG.c90aaf445f6d5c1def536fea77f145dd.JPGOnce I had this done, aligning the laser was the next step.

Once that was done, lights on and I had a perfect waterline. Using a regular pencil I marked it off.

5a36a4d4475e0_laserlining.JPG.b5b5b827cf72ba3100301848e2360790.JPG

For some reason of which I can't recall I had narrow masking tape from the auto painting, best part it had the perfect width for the waterline.

Applying it and then masking of the top area of the hull I will paint the lighter colored hull part.

I learned this long time ago always paint the lighter colors first then the darker.

What is extremely important before painting is to use a round edge tool to have the tape having a proper contact with the surface.

5a36a94047bdc_maskingon.JPG.84f386ff5cde43b38240b04fc0fdc03c.JPG

Happy with this I started experimenting to get a proper anti-fouling red tone.

I didn't like the one recommended from MS, so I gave my Vallejo paint a shot.

Turned out really nice.

Respectfully