IJN Amatsukaze by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Halinski - WW2 Japanese Destroyer - 1:200 scale - CARD and Brass

Very nice work Danny, especially noting the scale you are working at.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Dan,

I could use a few on my plastic build ...  very meticulous work on that searchlight. Suddenly you are going fast with the super structure ... looking good. I added some glue on the rungs/steps of the ladders on my build, they tended to break of when I touched them again by accident - may be for a next time ....

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thanks very much CDW, Pat, Carl and Jan.

9 hours ago, amateur said:

Long time ago we had a member named martanek. He did wonders with paper, and always used a tictac as a reference for size in his pictures.

With that search light, I missed the tictac, I'm afraid the thing is even smaller than I dare to imagine :)

Jan

Jan, it's a little bit smaller than a Tic-Tac ;). If I had one I'd put it up against it, but I keep eating them - I can't stop at one :D.

BTW - martanek is on the Paper Modellers site. He still has his Tac-Tacs (I'm sure they are plastic ;):D).

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

I've been putting off building the Main Mast until now, because I thought it would be one of the most difficult parts of the build. It turned out to be fairly easy :). CA glue was used for all the metal joints. I taped the legs of the mast to a block of MDF for stability while I glued all the other parts to themMain Mast (1).JPG

Main Mast (2).JPG

Main Mast (3).JPG

Main Mast (4).JPG

This part (I don't know what it is, perhaps a "Crow's Nest"?) proved to be the hardest thing to make. There are 6 pieces to it, and it's a multi-angled shape :

Main Mast (6).JPG

Main Mast (5).JPG

Now to spray paint the whole thing.

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Looking good. I like your make shift jig to hold everything in alignment. 

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Thanks Slog, Greg and CDW :).

Here's one of the smallest assemblies I've had to make, a Windlass. There are 15 tiny parts in it and it's only 4mm long :

Windlass.JPG

I'm not sure what the function of these parts is, it seems to be some kind of covered entryway. I made the actual units some time ago, and now it's time to fit them :

Entries (1).JPG

It's also time to fit the Bridge :

Entries (2).JPG

Bridge Fitted.JPG

The last major sub-assembly to fit is the aft superstructure :

Aft Superstructure Fitted.JPG

A couple of overall progress pics with the major assemblies fitted. I'm leaving the last three turrets until later as there are a lot of small parts to be made and fitted around them first :

Assemblies Fitted (2).JPG

Assemblies Fitted (1).JPG

Cheers, Danny

really nice progress Dan.....love the way the super structure is shaping up   your embracing this medium in a big way...becoming quite good at it in a very short time! very well done! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

4 hours ago, cog said:

15 tiny parts in it and it's only 4mm long ...

can't see it on the ship :wacko: !!!!!!! where did you hide it. 15 parts on 4mm length .. you are definitely pullin' me leg!

Sorry Carl, here it is - at the tip of my (blunted) Xacto knife ;):D :

Windlass (2).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Danny you have really mastered this building medium very quickly; very nice work and great detailing at that scale.

cheers

Pat

Thanks Carl and Pat. Yeah, I'm getting the hang of working with paper :). I now have the confidence to tackle the Bismarck, which I'll start in about another week or so when I've finished Amatsukaze :).

Here are a couple of pics of the fitted Main Mast :

Main Mast Fitted (2).JPG

Main Mast Fitted (1).JPG

There is another large Winch on the aft deck. This one has 25 parts, but is quite a bit bigger than the Windlass. A pic of the Supports under construction, and another of the rest of the parts :

Aft Winch (6).JPG

Aft Winch (5).JPG

The winch finished and fitted to the deck :

Aft Winch (4).JPG

Aft Winch (3).JPG

Aft Winch (2).JPG

Aft Winch (1).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Brilliant work Dan the 1/70 SD14 is just waiting to be built by you

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thanks Kevin. Not in this lifetime I think :D.

I've been busy making and fitting some of the smaller deck pieces. Here's the Aft Deck at the moment :

Aft Deck Fittings.JPG

I have no idea what this structure is (something to do with the Anchor Chains?). This part of it consists a lot of small discs - I'm so glad I bought those punches :) :

Fore Deck Fittings.JPG

Fore Deck Fittings (1).JPG

Most of the fore deck fittings in place, apart from those on the edges of the deck. I'll fit those after the Railings go on :

Fore Deck Fittings (2).JPG

Speaking of Railings - I've made a start. A bit of paint touch-up will be done when they are all on :

Edge Railings (2).JPG

Edge Railings (1).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Thank you CDW. You'll find the Hole Punches to be very useful. I've got both the small ones and the large ones, and use them both a lot.

There are 16 Bollards to be made. The tubes are solid rolled, these took me nearly an hour to make - quite an improvement on the first few I tried :). Here's a few pics of how I handled these very small parts - note the double-sided tape and the moistened Q-tip I used to pick up the tiny tops and bottoms (the Hole Punches were a great help here) :

Bollards (4).JPG

Bollards (3).JPG

Bollards (2).JPG

Bollards (1).JPG

There are two more Paravanes near the stern. I used a rounded dowel to help with gluing the ends :

Paravanes (4).JPG

Paravanes (3).JPG

The paravane Cranes were part of the PE set I bought earlier :

Paravanes (2).JPG

Paravanes (1).JPG

There are six Depth Charges held in housings in the stern. The ends of the housings were the smallest parts in the whole ship :

Depth Charge Housings (3).JPG

Depth Charge Housings (2).JPG

Depth Charge Housings (1).JPG

Finally for now I fitted the Anchor Chains. There was no indication in the instructions about the size of the chain, but by counting the links in one of the pictures I came up with 27 links per inch :

Anchor Chains.JPG

Cheers, Danny

WOW!  very nice work Dan! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Dan, I really had to say what a wonderful model you are making and, and as such

makes me want to get going on my Batory. 

Thank you for all the hints and tips you have given.  Very inspirational,  kind regards, Nick.

Current Build: M.S. Batory, Polish Transatlantic Liner  - Card.

That is some very fiddly work and you have achieved mastery over it Danny - very clean and precise.

cheers

Pat

Thank you for the kind comments Carl, Popeye, Nick and Pat. Always appreciated :).

All the Railings are now fitted. They turned out quite well despite being very fragile, and I'm very happy with the way they turned out :).

There was a slight problem on the Foredeck where the deck has a dip in the middle (it's supposed to be like that). Trying to fit a 2-rail railing in the dip is impossible without cutting one of the rails as it wants to bend in or out. Sort of like trying to bend a piece of planking sideways :

Cut Railing (2).JPG

The top rail cut and CA glued back together :

Cut Railing (1).JPG

A tip for drilling holes for railings. I CA glued a 0.3mm drill bit into a piece of 0.3mm ID tubing, and then glued that inside some 0.6mm ID (0.8mm OD) tubing. I left about 1mm of the drill bit protruding. This has two advantages. First, it strengthens the small bit enormously - I drilled about 150 holes and DIDN'T BREAK ONE :). Second, you can only drill to the depth of the protruding bit, so there is no sudden downward movement of the drill if you drill right through a deck - another major cause of drill breakage, and also possible damage to surrounding parts :

Railing Drill.JPG

Mounting the Motor Launches to their davits proved problematic, as they wanted to fly all over the workbench (and floor) at the slightest touch. To fix this I spent some time making a jig. This also helped a lot in getting the boats to sit at the right height and level :

Motor Launch Fitting (5).JPG

Rather than just using a piece of wire for the "tackle" I made up some doubled "line" and "blocks" from 0.2mm wire and 0.4mm ID tubing :

Motor Launch Fitting (6).JPG

Motor Launch Fitting (4).JPG

One of the launches in the jig, almost ready to fit to the ship :

Motor Launch Fitting (3).JPG

And both launches fitted :

Motor Launch Fitting (2).JPG

Motor Launch Fitting (1).JPG

Cheers, Danny

The last pieces - the Entry Steps :

Entry Steps (1).JPG

And some overall pics. Only the Rigging left to do :) :

Progress Sep 14 2017 (2).JPG

Progress Sep 14 2017 (3).JPG

Cheers, Danny

...and your almost finished!   that's amazing!   great idea with the davits.....but it must have been a little tough to line up the davits to the deck slots...wasn't it kinda flimsy?   fantastic job Danny........your more than ready to tackle the Bismark :imNotWorthy:    

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: