IJN Amatsukaze by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Halinski - 1:200 scale - CARD and Brass - WW2 Japanese Destroyer -

Japanese ships vere littered with these binoculars. Ive seen when someone built yamato, he made so many of them... probably ´cos Japs didnt have radar...

i hope you didnt forget to make lens for those.

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

4 hours ago, maaaslo said:

i hope you didnt forget to make lens for those.

Yeah, I'm working on those but optically grinding them is proving a problem :D.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

clear cello and a sharpened brass tube the same diameter?  nawwwww.....now I'm getting silly ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

4 hours ago, maaaslo said:

Guys cmon, i was kidding, right...?

WHAT .......... ???? Hells Bells, I just spent 3 hours .............

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

1 hour ago, maaaslo said:

seeing your progress, i got in a mood. I've assembled frames for the Duilio ironclad

Yay :) .

I'm into my 3rd day on the Bridge and still won't finish it today. So many small details to make - and most of them won't be visible later on :huh:. At least I know they are there, and it's all good practice.

There are three different types of Binocular Stand to make. I guess this one incorporates a Bearing Compass?

Binoculars (1).JPG

Binoculars (5).JPG

Binoculars (7).JPG

I've painted the step irons and PE doors. There's also some bracing under the overhanging part of each side - this is made from 0.3mm nickel-silver tube, the only stuff in that diameter that the Hobby store had (not cheap :huh:). Here are some shots overall :

Bridge (8).JPG

Bridge (9).JPG

Bridge (10).JPG

And one last pic to give an idea of scale :

Bridge (11).JPG

Cheers, Danny

I think this item is a small Range Finder (correct me if I'm wrong - the kit doesn't give any idea of what most of the assemblies are.) Small items like this are usually harder to make than large ones. This one is 3mm square :

Range Finder (3).JPG

Range Finder (4).JPG

There are about 24 parts to the large Range Finder. I am very happy with the way this assembly has come together, just some minor edges to touch up :

Range Finder (2).JPG

Range Finder (1).JPG

The roof of the bridge is curved so it has a ceiling and several ribs to form and support the top skin :

Bridge (12).JPG

I made a small error when trimming the edge of the roof to accept the walls, so I had to cut the walls into three pieces to get everything aligned properly. Two small tabs give extra strength on the cuts :

Bridge (15).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Thanks Ron. I noticed that you have a Card model of SMS Hegoland in the offing - good luck with her :). I trust you will be doing a Build Log ;) ?

I've fitted the roof of the bridge. Some filler was needed on the seams. Here's how it looks before any cleaning up ...... MESSY :D :

Bridge Filler.JPG

I use a narrow chisel point Xacto to remove the bigger lumps, and then a wipe over with a Q-tip dipped in Acetone to smooth it. The Acetone will remove some of the printing if it's over-used, so care must be taken :

Bridge Filler (2).JPG

Bridge Filler (1).JPG

The final details to be fitted to the bridge were the PE Railings. Note the tightly bent ones around the two hatches. I drilled a hole for each leg and used thin CA wicked in with a cut-off needle to attach them. One of the few times I use CA :D.

The railings I've got are longer than the ones indicated on the model, so some modifications are needed. For example, the two straight railings on the roof are one section of "standard" railing with an extra leg inserted into the middle with CA :

Bridge Finished (3).JPG

Bridge Finished (2).JPG

Bridge Finished (1).JPG

Bridge Finished (4).JPG

And finally - a couple of pics of the finished Bridge after painting. It still needs a coat of Testor's Dullcote, which will make all the touch-ups virtually disappear :

Bridge Painted (2).JPG

Bridge Painted (1).JPG

Cheers, Danny

After applying the Dullcote. Sure enough, the touch-ups are almost invisible. They actually look 200% better in "real life" :).

Bridge Lacquered (2).JPG

Bridge Lacquered (1).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Danny:

This is my first time seeing a paper/card ship kit being built...fascinating what detail is possible and how with a proper build the overall appearance appears much more than just paper....look forward to following along as you continue the build.

Best Regards,

Cliff 

Cliff Ward

Cary, North Carolina

USA

Dan,

I still wonder about the size, I know Igor uses a giant match stick, and Patrick a hughe watch, but I can't seem to get a hold on your build. Must be quite big to get the details so spiffy! The bridge brushed up rather well I would say even at 100%

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thanks CDW, Cliff and Carl.

32 minutes ago, cog said:

Dan,

I still wonder about the size, I know Igor uses a giant match stick, and Patrick a hughe watch, but I can't seem to get a hold on your build. Must be quite big to get the details so spiffy! The bridge brushed up rather well I would say even at 100%

Does this pic help Carl?

Scale.JPG

Cheers, Danny

Where did you get that giant ruler and knife Dan? ;):)

Looking really good; your blending of the seams and touchups is spot on.  Were the lifebuoys/rings actually that colour, seem to really stick out when great effort was made to neutralise the lines and colours of the rest of the equipment? 

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

1 hour ago, BANYAN said:

Were the lifebuoys/rings actually that colour, seem to really stick out when great effort was made to neutralise the lines and colours of the rest of the equipment?

Yes, but I had to paint the red on the edges. Life rings are supposed to stand out, aren't they ;).

Cheers, Danny

Thanks for looking in again Jan and Carl.

I bought a few sheets of PE from Tom's Model Works suitable for IJN Destroyers :

Photoetch (5).JPG

Photoetch (4).JPG

Photoetch (3).JPG

Photoetch (2).JPG

Photoetch (1).JPG

The kit Deck Reels weren't very detailed, so I only used the rolled tubes and replaced the discs and support frames with PE. There are 7 of them, of four different configurations :

Deck Reels (3).JPG

Deck Reels (2).JPG

Deck Reels (1).JPG

I spray painted them with Tamiya IJN Gray :

Deck Reels (4).JPG

Deck Reels (5).JPG

Deck Reels (6).JPG

Deck Reels (7).JPG

Cheers, Danny

nice work with that part of the super structure.....came out very good.   the PE parts will enhance the model for sure!   the reels look great ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Popeye.

Next assembly is the Main Superstructure Base. I forgot to take any pics of the construction of the skeleton as I made it, but the pic below from the instructions is self-explanatory :

Forward Superstructure (1).JPG

The sides had a couple of interesting "whoopie-do's" that took a lot longer to get right than they look :D :

Forward Superstructure (2).JPG

Forward Superstructure (3).JPG

The Funnel Base is next. Lots of care had to be taken to make sure the skin fitted properly. If I thought I was going to get a break from sanding by building a Card model I was very wrong :D. An hour's work sanding the correct angles in the top part :

Funnel Base (1).JPG

Bending the skin took another hour before I was happy with the fit :

Funnel Base (2).JPG

The skin received the usual strengthening tab at the join :

Funnel Base (3).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Hi Danny,

You're making great progress.  The Bridge structure turned out really nice.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

22 hours ago, Dan Vad said:

Yes, but I had to paint the red on the edges. Life rings are supposed to stand out, aren't they ;).

HI Danny, in peace time yes - not so much in an operational environment - just becomes another location and targeting aid :)  Not sue, if back in these days, this was a consideration though :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thank you again Slog and Pat.

Pat, Amatsukaze was completed in October 1940 - 15 months before Pearl Harbor. That makes it peace time in my book ;).

Another Alien Invader - this time the Main Engine Room Vent. Here's the part after cutting out :

Vent.JPG

And 3 hours later after gluing it together. No filler or paint has been applied yet, not much will be needed :) :

Vent (1).JPG

Vent (2).JPG

Vent (3).JPG

Cheers, Danny