IJN Amatsukaze by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Halinski - 1:200 scale - CARD and Brass - WW2 Japanese Destroyer -

Thanks Pat. They're not really mods - I've built the guns the way the instructions show. Here are the finished guns before painting :

AA Guns (1).JPG

AA Guns (2).JPG

AA Guns (3).JPG

AA Guns (4).JPG

And after painting :

AA Guns (11).JPG

AA Guns (12).JPG

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thanks John. Just to blow your mind a bit more ;):D :

AA Guns Scale.JPG

I had to cut the aft funnel back off the superstructure. When I went to fit the AA gun platform to it I realized I'd made an error in the construction of the funnel base - it was the thickness of the base too high :o. No harm done, just a waste of an hour :D.

A few posts ago I mentioned that the large pipe on the forward end of the aft funnel shouldn't have been fitted until this stage. You can see why below.

I've fitted the PE railing around the AA gun platform. It was a little tricky to get all the bends right, and as with the railing I'd fitted previously to the Bridge the stanchions are too widely spaced and don't line up with the marked positions. This makes it look a little odd, as the stanchions are in different positions around the bends. I can live with it though :) :

Railing AA Platform (3).JPG

Railing AA Platform (4).JPG

Railing AA Platform (5).JPG

The railings after straightening and painting :

Railing AA Platform (2).JPG

After fitting and painting I noticed that there are two rigging wires that terminate in eyebolts on either side of the platform . I was wondering about the two extra marked holes earlier. I should have checked the rigging plans before fitting the platform to the funnel base, as it made drilling the holes a bit harder. I made the eyebolts from 0.2mm wire in the shape of split pins, drilled 0.45mm holes for them, and CA glued them in :

Railing AA Platform (1).JPG

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Thank you Tom, John and Carl.

1 hour ago, cog said:

What's the gauge on the wire for the barrels

I don't know about the gauge, but it's 0.2mm diameter. It's supplied by a site that caters for Crafts.

Cheers, Danny

8 hours ago, cog said:

Did you use tweezers to roll it around the barrels!!!

No, just my fingers - it was a lot easier that way. There was quite a bit of waste, but the roll I bought contains .... (I don't know WHAT it contains :wacko: - a lot :D) and tweezers wouldn't grab it. I used them to squeeze it up if I needed to, which was rarely. It really surprised me how easily it rolled around the 0.3mm tubing.

My first attempt at these didn't work so well. I used 0.3mm ID brass tubing and tried to score grooves in it to simulate the spring. I'd have run with this if the wire didn't work, but it took quite a while to make one. Here's the failed attempt, above the actual size template - the coiled ones were exactly the same size :

AA barrel attempt.JPG

Cheers, Danny

Construction of the Aft Turret Superstructure. For anyone building this model there are a couple of things to look out for.

Firstly, the outer wall isn't vertical - it slopes very slightly inward at the top, so care must be taken to fit the framing the right way up. The difference between the length of the tops of the frames and the bottoms is about 1mm or even less and it's easy to fit a frame or two upside-down which will throw the whole side out of whack.

Because of the slope the bottom of the side (part #80) isn't a straight cut, even though at first glance it appears to be. I've marked the approximate positions of the changes in direction in the following pic. If the cut is just done straight there will be slight gaps on the bottom of the wall in various places.

Cuts 1.JPG

Aft Turret Superstructure (9).JPG

I added several extra pieces of scrap 0.5mm card to the framing to ensure that the wall didn't buckle when I glued it in :

Aft Turret Superstructure (8).JPG

Aft Turret Superstructure (7).JPG

Aft Turret Superstructure (6).JPG

There is a complex curved section which needed pre-forming before gluing :

Aft Turret Superstructure (5).JPG

Aft Turret Superstructure (4).JPG

The finished structure before touching up. Virtually no filler will be needed :

Aft Turret Superstructure (3).JPG

Aft Turret Superstructure (2).JPG

Aft Turret Superstructure (1).JPG

Cheers, Danny

the guns in your hand Danny are a mind bender..... your gett'in to be quite a pro at this ;)   well done!   great job on the structure as well ;)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Greg and Popeye.

Lots of updating to do. This is part of the second aft superstructure, some tricky bends :

Aft Turret Superstructure (10).JPG

Aft Turret Superstructure (11).JPG

The start of fitting out the sub-assembly begins with a small structure with a curved roof :

Aft Turret Fittings (14).JPG

Aft Turret Fittings (1).JPG

Next is a (comparatively) large ventilator. I used a "modified" clamp to hold the tube while the glue dried :

Aft Turret Fittings (13).JPG

Aft Turret Fittings (8).JPG

Aft Turret Fittings (9).JPG

Aft Turret Fittings (10).JPG

I can go to great lengths supporting some of the tiny pieces :

Aft Turret Fittings (12).JPG

Aft Turret Fittings (11).JPG

Another PE Reel. I've finally worked out the right way to build them :D :

Aft Turret Fittings (7).JPG

Continued in the next post .......

Cheers, Danny

.... continued.

I CA glued tubing together to make the cowl for a small pipe, and also used it for the braces :

Aft Turret Fittings (2).JPG

Aft Turret Fittings (15).JPG

Not sure what this assembly is (nothing unusual there :D) :

Aft Turret Fittings (3).JPG

Aft Turret Fittings (4).JPG

Quite a few small ventilators, the reel and a viewfinder :

Aft Turret Fittings (6).JPG

An overview of all the fittings glued to the superstructure. I've also fitted the PE railings and 0.2mm wire handrails :

Aft Turret Fittings (17).JPG

Aft Turret Fittings (16).JPG

Final assembly for this section is the aft Mast, all CA glued together. At the moment it's dry-fitted, I'll spray paint it before final fitting :

Aft Mast (1).JPG

Aft Mast (2).JPG

Aft Mast (3).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Dan, that tube with the fins is a paravane, used for mine sweeping.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

39 minutes ago, Canute said:

Dan, that tube with the fins is a paravane, used for mine sweeping.

Thanks Ken, I had an idea it was something like that :). They didn't have those on 18th century ships :D.

Thanks Greg.

Cheers, Danny

And thank you John and Carl.

12 hours ago, cog said:

I especially like your setup of heavy metal to keep a piece of paper into shape!

You'd be surprised how much weight you need sometimes to keep a join tight, especially on very small parts.

Cheers, Danny

Nice work Danny.......and I thought a wooden kit build was difficult!!

I just pulled up a chair to keep an eye on how the professionals do it!

Fernando

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

S Lucia by Fernando E - Panart - Scale 1:30

Sloop Norfolk 1798 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:36 

9 hours ago, Fernando E said:

Nice work Danny.......and I thought a wooden kit build was difficult!!

Thank you Fernando. With a pre-coloured Card kit the hardest part is getting the joins to fit together with the minimum of gaps. A wooden kit has a much bigger margin for error.

The three Main Turrets, which are all identical. Here are most of the card parts for one turret - the base on the left has already been folded and glued :

Turrets (2).JPG

Before cutting out the turret top I cut the two slots for the barrels. I used my punch to do the rounded ends first, then a scalpel to join them :

Turrets (4).JPG

Turrets (3).JPG

The movable barrel base. I strongly suggest that anyone making this kit, or something similar, to actually get them to work freely. This allows you to move the barrels up or down when fitting the railings later :

Turrets (1).JPG

The barrel "boots" fitted to the turret base. The 1.0mm brass tubing barrels haven't been glued in yet, as they would get in the way of future work :

Turrets (23).JPG

Next step was to fit the turret sides :

Turrets (22).JPG

Turrets (21).JPG

The turret ops cut out. Most of the edges are bevelled :

Turrets (20).JPG

Turrets (19).JPG

Continued in next post .....

Cheers, Danny

.... continued.

Gluing the top to the sides begins with the straight join at the front of the turret :

Turrets (17).JPG

Next are the rounded edges :

Turrets (16).JPG

Moving on to the cube on the left side :

Turrets (15).JPG

Finally the large areas at the back of the turret :

Turrets (12).JPG

Turrets (14).JPG

Turrets (11).JPG

Before fitting any railngs I glued on the PE Doors and Hatches. I used 0.2mm wire for the railings, starting with the legs on the top section :

Turrets (9).JPG

Then I bent, rolled and fitted the trickier pieces at the front :

Turrets (10).JPG

I used CA to glue the rails to the legs, one at a time :

Turrets (8).JPG

Then the side railings using the same methods :

Turrets (7).JPG

Turrets (6).JPG

Turrets (5).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Some really nice detail you have achieved on those turrets Danny.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)