Prins Willem by _SalD_ – Corel - Scale 1:100

Hello all.  I had debated back and forth as to whether or not I would do another build log and I guess you can tell what I decided.  This will be my third kit built ship and decided on the Prins Willem by Corel.  Prior to this I had attempted a scratch build of a sidewheeler steamboat but came to the realization that I’m not quite ready for that leap.

A little background information on the ship for those interested.

Owner:          Dutch East India Company

Built:              1649-1650

Maiden voyage:      May 5, 1651

Sank near Madagascar 1662 due to violent weather

Crew of 276

Displaced:     700 tons

Length:          ~137 ft

Armament:  32 guns

A replica was built in 1985, but was destroyed by fire in 2009.

prins-willem.thumb.jpg.120962bab9526d1c87089a2d6d625a44.jpgprins-willem2.jpg.dcf0bd56a8117763455ced9846813387.jpg

The kit was purchased through Model Expo and although it was back ordered it only could two weeks to receive.  The model scale is 1:100, with a finished length of 29-1/2” and a height of 23".  The kit is POB with laser cut wooden frames and the hull is double planked.  There are quite a few parts to this kit and even though I know I should do an inventory of them I am forgoing that task and will check for the required pieces as I proceed.  Fingers crossed.

Obligatory exterior and interior box pictures.

IMG_3293.JPG.e7ed94fe8f889aa55d20c0c1e29197c1.JPG

IMG_3294.JPG.cd7c6ea4c0a8530c271c6335a3158324.JPG

There are ten sheets of drawings which appear to be quite good, the instruction manual however is a little lacking.  

IMG_3296.thumb.JPG.50954f176c276b0a35e75771dbe20532.JPG

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

That's a nice looking ship! Front row seat! :D

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Thanks Jack, it’s been a while since we last spoke.  I had a lot of things going on since then with retiring from work after 40 years, daughter graduating college, then I wasn’t feeling well for a while but I think I’m back in the groove again.  This build should keep me busy.

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

Complete 

I had mentioned before how lacking the instruction manual is but I had to laugh because although this is an advance kit the manual states and I quote, ‘… model may be constructed with a few standard tools, a hammer, a few small files, pliers, a pair of scissors, a knife cutter, sand paper and some glue…’     Hope the wife doesn’t see this or there go all the tools I was going to buy.:rolleyes:

Unlike the Syren model bulkheads which came laser cut but still on large sheets this kit’s bulkheads are all cut out for you.  The bulkhead former (BF) was also pre-cut and had no warpage at all.

IMG_3295.JPG.5eeb1017136f5244ecbdaa0c04b5bbd7.JPG

The directions recommended to dry assemble all the bulkheads and decks prior to gluing anything in place.  I’m glad I did this because there are some bulkheads that can’t be installed without installing the decks along with them. The decks are loosely installed so they appear a little crooked.  All the slots in the bulkheads needed some sanding for them to fit properly on the BF.

IMG_3297.thumb.JPG.18b14501c29f63f0208ed6046373fc33.JPG

IMG_3300.thumb.JPG.05935d268f9f35310cd0034ae0e2cc1d.JPG

IMG_3303.JPG.81133aa6be17fb64635488ec61750754.JPG

I decided to do some preliminary shaping of the two bow fillers before permanently attaching them to the BF.  This is done so the hull planking runs smoothly to the bow.

IMG_3304.JPG.8f6d4d86f555ed2a21e5ea99dd8158eb.JPG

IMG_3305.thumb.JPG.9da01ded11d097c2bac59cfd7e4c23eb.JPG

The last task to be done prior to reassembling everything and gluing in place is to cut the gun ports from the stern bulkheads.  Making a copy of the bulkheads from the drawings, I cut them out to use as patterns to locate the gun ports.  The ports were cut using an x-acto knife with a #11 blade and then filing the edges.   

IMG_3306.thumb.JPG.5f88681aa78ccbbeca39784bdda9f3fe.JPG

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

Complete 

Looking good! What would you say the overall quality of this kit is at this point?

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

6 hours ago, _SalD_ said:

Thanks Jack, it’s been a while since we last spoke.  I had a lot of things going on since then with retiring from work after 40 years, daughter graduating college, then I wasn’t feeling well for a while but I think I’m back in the groove again.  This build should keep me busy.

Hi Sal, yes it has been a while. Sorry to hear you weren't well but glad to hear you have recovered.

Congrats to your daughter on her graduation. We both had a milestone to celebrate, my youngest daughter received her Doctorate in Education (EdD) this past April.   

Point of interest on your Steamboats research - the Great Lakes steamboat  SS Columbia is headed our way for restoration at the Hudson River Maritime Museum (https://hudsonvalleyone.com/2017/04/30/s-s-columbia-projects-steamy-dreams/ )  and Columbia Project . I'll let you know when she arrives.

On 6/24/2017 at 7:24 PM, Elijah said:

Looking good! What would you say the overall quality of this kit is at this point?

Thanks Elijah,  From what I've looked at so far the parts appear to be of good quality, I haven't looked at any of the blocks or fittings yet so my opinion may change.

On 6/24/2017 at 8:30 PM, Jack12477 said:

Congrats to your daughter on her graduation. We both had a milestone to celebrate, my youngest daughter received her Doctorate in Education (EdD) this past April.   

Point of interest on your Steamboats research - the Great Lakes steamboat  SS Columbia is headed our way for restoration at the Hudson River Maritime Museum (https://hudsonvalleyone.com/2017/04/30/s-s-columbia-projects-steamy-dreams/ )  and Columbia Project . I'll let you know when she arrives.

Congrats to your daughter too,  and thanks for the steamboat info.

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

Complete 

Starting to reassemble the bulkheads for their final placement on the BF using clamps and my trusty Legos.

IMG_3307.thumb.JPG.e4f7e05af749d2915ea55ec96ef449b7.JPG

More clamps and legos

IMG_3309.thumb.JPG.f1eefe48da0a69063b0084a42e59913d.JPG

Setting the main deck.  Reminds me of something out of Gulliver's Travels. The rubber bands worked out nicely because they pulled the deck down along the curvature on the bulkheads.

IMG_3311.JPG.524f8ef0f4c3b0cc4814bd6dbf606547.JPG

IMG_3313.JPG.35271322f84a2e5a290c51b8c4e63cfd.JPG

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

Complete 

Hi Sal.

Nice looking kit.

I've got my seat booked ..Second row 3rd seat in.

Off to a good start. Lego blocks have got a lot to answer for in model ship building.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Sal,

Glad I found your log early as it is always nice to get in at the beginning. You are off to a good start on the initial framing. Kit looks nice and I'm looking forward to seeing this build as it is on my list of future builds so it will be good to see how the kit stacks up.

Looking forward to the journey!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

EJ, thanks for looking in.  As I mentioned to Elijah, so far the kit supplied material is fine the only draw back is the manual but the drawings are good.

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

Complete 

Hi Sal.

I see what you mean about Gulliver's travels with the elastic bands. But it works 😀

It's a nice looking kit.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

All decks installed along with the stern upper transom.

IMG_3318.JPG.fd956552c7ee0aad518870bf457ef4ce.JPG

IMG_3320.JPG.23f82af9e9b0ffb5871128bd96e197a8.JPG

I found and downloaded a .pdf copy of Herman Ketting's book 'Prins Willem' which appears to contain quite a bit of useful information on the construction of the ship.  My only problem is that it's written in Dutch!  There are some nice pictures though that might come in handy. 

Capture1.thumb.JPG.babcdb9e849370404d8b186476754e3c.JPG

Capture2.thumb.JPG.ac19d0f6745580583c0e95a20dc5dd37.JPG

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

Complete 

Getting the ship ready for her first planking I started to fair the bulkheads.  I also decided to put a filler at the bow to help with the bending and securing of the planks.  I used some scrap balsa wood I had and shaped it with my sanding sticks.  The hardest part about fairing the bulkheads is telling myself... 'don't rush and when you think you're done, do it again'

IMG_3327.thumb.JPG.264d505a23d67337b390da2f9ffedc12.JPG

IMG_3328.thumb.JPG.be232475cf0f195e73901292155bcf7d.JPG

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

Complete 

God start on the fairing of the frames. Also smart to place those filler blocks at the bow. They will help put a lot when you go to plank.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Sal,

looking good, However I have a question? Regarding The fairing of the #2 fillers

should the bulkheads and your bolsa fillers be tapered to the same taper of the #2 fillers

(in the above pictures the bottom of the bulkheads look long perhaps it's the camera or should the bottom of the bulkheads be to the same taper of the #2 parts?)

Jay

On 7/4/2017 at 6:28 AM, Richard Griffith said:

Hey Sal. I can loan you a German dictionary.  Let me know...............Duff  

Duff thanks for the offer but I think I can use google to help with the translating

On 7/4/2017 at 1:24 PM, jay said:

Sal,

looking good, However I have a question? Regarding The fairing of the #2 fillers

should the bulkheads and your bolsa fillers be tapered to the same taper of the #2 fillers

(in the above pictures the bottom of the bulkheads look long perhaps it's the camera or should the bottom of the bulkheads be to the same taper of the #2 parts?)

Jay

Jay, the #2 fillers are actually a little over sanded.  I thought it would be easier to form those fillers if I sanded them down a little prior to installing them. In hindsight I should not have done that.  I plan to fill the gaps with wood filler and reshape the bulkheads and filler #2, I was just waiting for the mailman to bring my filler which, by the way, arrived today.  Thank you for checking my work too, I appreciate any and all comments or questions.

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

Complete