LA NINA By Jerry - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:65

Popeye..

We ARE building our new home but it won't be ready until Jan or Feb.  We have to be out of our present home by Sep 1.  We are moving into a temporary apartment in S.C. for the interim.  Hope you understand now.

Best,

Jerry

got'cha!   I see the dust cloud on google map! ;)  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 5 weeks later...

happy birthday Jerry! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Many thanks to Lawrence, Bernadette and Popeye for the much appreciated birthday wishes.  We are comfortably situated in our temporary apartment excitedly waiting for the completion of our new house in SC.  We expect to move again around Christmas.

We do have much concern for our family, friends and former neighbors about the hurricane that is about to hit them.  We pray that all will end well.

Best to you all,

Jerry and Charlene

• 3 years later...
On 7/18/2017 at 3:51 AM, Jerry said:

Hello Keith...

Nice to hear from you.  La NIna is a fun kit.  HMS Victory is a long term project; La Nina isn't.  Finish La Nina and you'll have a little jewel in your possession.  Thank you for your  very nice words and have a terrific day.

Best,

Jerry

Hi, your ship looks great! I am doing the same model and have just finished planking the main deck and looking at your model I have a million miles of go! Did you use a water based or an oil based urethane or any other kind of finish on the deck or the hull for instance? I’m wondering if I should give everything a coat or two of something.

Thanks,

Harry

Good morning, Harry.

It's been a long time but I used a water based varnish sold in most hobby shops.  I don't remember the brand but I do remember that it was water based.  It dried quickly and allowed me to apply several coats throughout the day.  I hope this is helpful.

Best,

Jerry

11 hours ago, Jerry said:

Good morning, Harry.

It's been a long time but I used a water based varnish sold in most hobby shops.  I don't remember the brand but I do remember that it was water based.  It dried quickly and allowed me to apply several coats throughout the day.  I hope this is helpful.

Best,

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. It sounds like you used something. I picked up a water based varnish made by Saman which I just applied on the main deck and yes it got sucked right into the wood and seemed to dry right away. My only worry is that by applying a varnish to the deck now makes me wonder if I can glue any of the many things that will be on the deck later. I made a mock up using some of the deck planks and I glued them to a piece of wood I had previously applied a polyurethane to. I used a yellow wood glue made by Evergreen and they are stuck on there real well! I suppose I can use a crazy glue if I need to.
Did you use a different glue for different applications? I am a bit new to this.

Harry

Harry,

I used CA and white glue throughout all my builds.  You should have no problem gluing anything to the varnished deck when using CA, 15 second drying.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Best,

Jerry

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/26/2017 at 9:37 AM, Jerry said:

Hello,

Continuing on...April 13 to 15...

I  don't remember the reason, but i didn't do anythng on this project for a couple of weeks afetr April 15th.  Thank goodness, it wasn't due to any medical reasons..enough is enough!

Best,

Jerry

4-13-2017 Beginning of the second planking.jpg

4-13-2017 Another view of the 2nd planking beginning.jpg

4-13-2017 Bow sheer completed and hull wood filled, sanded and ready for 2nd planking.jpg

4-13-2017 Bow sheer completed and hull wood filled, sanded and ready for 2nd planking.jpg

4-13-2017 Bottom of hull wood filled and sanded.jpg

4-15-2017 2nd planking starboard side almost completed.jpg

Jerry, this is Harry again with another question. What kind of glue did you use for the 2nd planking? I’m worried about glue gooshing out as the planks are pressed down.

Good morning, Harry.

I used CA for both layers of hull planking.  I spot glued about every 5 or 6 mm very lightly.  I had no problems.  Hope this is helpful.

Best,

Jerry

• 1 month later...
On 1/21/2021 at 5:58 AM, Jerry said:

Good morning, Harry.

I used CA for both layers of hull planking.  I spot glued about every 5 or 6 mm very lightly.  I had no problems.  Hope this is helpful.

Best,

Jerry

Hi again Jerry.

I am working my way through my La Niña and have come across something not quite right. I was about to drill some holes in the deck for some eye bolts. I notice that my eye bolts are tiny silver things instead of brass as the instructions call for. What kind of eye bolts did you get in your kit? My kit is made by Artesania Latina.

Thanks,

Harry

Sorry, Harry, but I received an email that you asked me a question about gluing again.  Is that true?

Jerry

On 3/7/2021 at 12:57 PM, H March said:

image.thumb.jpeg.56eee3658fd8fab7054a2b95aac9158b.jpeg

No, it was the previous question about the eye bolts I received in my kit. Sorry about that. They are silver tiny eye bolts as shown in the photo but they are supposed to be brass. I was wondering what yours were in your kit. Silver or brass.

Good morning, Harry

Sorry to take so long to answer you.  I checked my model of La Nina and the eye bolts are indeed silver.  Hope  this helps.

Jerry

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jerry,

I have very much enjoyed following this post and your progress to assemble this boat. My name is Christian, as a new retiree i thought this hobby would be perfect for me and recently bought this very same model but after opening the box i felt a bit intimidated since i have about zero experience with wooden models. I was wondering if there is any list of recommended tools and items such as paints and so on to be able to assemble this model properly that exist on the web or any other place? This would help tremendously instead of going back and forth to the store every 10 minutes :)

Many thanks

Christian  

Hello Christian,

Welcome to the wonderful hobby of building historical ship models.  When all is said and done I'm sure , providing you have lots of patience. you will enjoy every minute of your venture. My suggestion is very simple. The best bet for you would be to go back to the store ( a hobby shop, I presume) and ask the same question.  They should know what to set you up with and will get you started.  And after you begin please feel free to ask me for any help with your progress.  I wish you the best.

Jerry

To Popeye...

If you read this, let me know what ever happened to your moving south?  Hope you get this as I don't have your email.

Best regards,

Jerry

• 2 years later...

this build really saved my butt i found the instructions Very lacking. But i do have a question that i could not find an answer for that is were do the the mast halyards end that go thru the tops of the masts and then disappear. The instructions show them going thru the hole at the top and then disappear any help would be appreicated.

thanks   Brad

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Brad, on my Amati Nina they go through the mast and are tied on the deck with three hole violin blocks, then tied to the fife rail. Hope this helps.  :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati