Shelob lives in the utility room next to the "ship yard"

Papa

On 6/29/2017 at 11:53 AM, popeye the sailor said:

wolf spiders have somewhat thicker legs and are more hairy.   if you haven't seen a web associated with it,  then it most likely a dark fishing spider {Dolomedes Tenebrosis}   

There is a small web behind some pipes that she has been on, I think.  It is in a dark corner and I am not inclined to get too close. But the picture of Dolomedes Tenebrosis on the internet sure looks like her.

On 6/29/2017 at 6:07 AM, thibaultron said:

Please don't nuke it! Have you seen any of those monster movies!! Squish yes, nuke no.

Rats... now I have to go take the nuke apart and put it away.  :angry:

19 minutes ago, ragove said:

There is a small web behind some pipes that she has been on, I think.  It is in a dark corner and I am not inclined to get too close. But the picture of Dolomedes Tenebrosis on the internet sure looks like her.

Best get rid of that web or at least inspect it.  I'm thinking there might just be a pod of eggs on it somewhere.

My admiral reckons that having a conker in every room keeps away spiders.
("conker" = fruit of the horse chestnut tree, in case you didn't know)

She's convinced that spiders don't like the aroma that the conkers give off.  Maybe there's some truth in the story.  I don't know.  But our conkers must be at least four years old now and they no longer have the slightest smidge of an aroma to give off.
I don't dare to throw them out though.

Basically we haven't really been interested in little household spiders. If you want something decent then this is more like it.595c4c4b9aad1_huntmanmg13462_big.jpg.1fc52d34561d6a120769d84ef140c94f.jpg

Waking up to one of these sitting on the ceiling above your bed can be quite exciting - specially when it has a leg span of around 15 cm! :o  Better still is when you look up as you're driving along and on the sun visor you see the tips of two legs peeping over the edge with a massive gap between them.

11 hours ago, Rick01 said:

Basically we haven't really been interested in little household spiders. If you want something decent then this is more like it.595c4c4b9aad1_huntmanmg13462_big.jpg.1fc52d34561d6a120769d84ef140c94f.jpg

Waking up to one of these sitting on the ceiling above your bed can be quite exciting - specially when it has a leg span of around 15 cm! :o  Better still is when you look up as you're driving along and on the sun visor you see the tips of two legs peeping over the edge with a massive gap between them.

Ooh, she would have Shelob for lunch.  I would not want that one in my house.  Do they eat mice?

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 7:06 AM, Jolley Roger said:

had a very similar passenger, riding shotgun on the (luckily)outside of my car, for about 30 miles.

Since he/she was a non fare-paying passenger, I decided to pepper spray it.

My Admiral has a fear of spiders, some years ago one was in the loo with her and she pepper sprayed it - didn't affect the spider, but it got her good, her eyes were shut and burning - she started screaming, got me on the run until I figured out what was going on and couldn't stop laughing...............had to go to bed without dinner....

10 hours ago, ragove said:

Ooh, she would have Shelob for lunch.  I would not want that one in my house.  Do they eat mice?

No they're pretty harmless really and keep the insects down. If you stir them up they'll rear up waving their front legs and you can hear the fangs clashing with the bigger ones. :)

Better ways to control bugs, than keeping spiders, wife will catch some and evict them, I just kill them, let the mess dry up and clean. One morning at Camp Elliott, ' ACB- 1', used it for a week of required 3 week annual military training per year, a new class every month. Used the rifle range and set up a camp out in the brush from which a defensive perimeter was set up, patrols were also part of the training. Was a squad leader when it was my turn, the first nite I didn't have much time for my fox hole, after getting the perimeter positioned as I wanted it, so found my hole was just a little short. Next morning after being in and out of that thing a dozen times, had time to lengthen it. First scrape at the foot of my hole and out rolled a Tarantula, glad I waited until daylight to do that, I wouldn't have been able to see him at night. Don't have any wish to spend any time with any eight legged critter, some keep them as pets but they are usually confined. My Tarantula was displayed around camp riding on an entrenching tool and eventually turned loose outside the camp.