Shelob lives in the utility room next to the "ship yard"

On 8/7/2017 at 9:49 PM, willz said:

in the uk we call them common house spiders or a more scientific name the eratigena atrica 

i have a funny story about one of these monsters, some 20 years ago i was living with a girlfriend and one of these walked around the bedroom ceiling. it  was unusual because it had one leg missing, she asked me to kill it, so i explained it will keep all the bugs and flies down, so not quite sure about it she said ok, anyway every 6 or 7 days we would see it again going around the bedroom and my girlfriend became comfortable with it, because of the missing leg we knew it was the same spider, in the end we were calling it our spider, all was well and my girlfriends fear of spiders had gone, but then one saturday morning at about 10am whilst we were still in bed her 12 year old son shouted up and said MUM I`VE JUST KILLED A MASSIVE SPIDER we both looked at each other and she shouted back to her son YOU HAVN`T HAVE YOU, HOW MANY LEGS DID IT HAVE! i must admit i couldn`t stop laughing, we never saw our 7 legged friend again. this is a true story

spider.jpg

Great story!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't like any critter that has too many, or too few legs. The proper number is either 2 or 4. Though I have become less prone too squishing spiders as I get older. I have even been known to scooping them up with a piece of paper and depositing them outside. I would guess though, there is a maximum size over which, I would still freak out.

Hmmm... I'm thinking she is/was an orb weaver.  Was the web you saw the typical round spider web we all associate with them?  If so, I'd go with that identification.  Ours is living just outside the back door where we can watch her catch flies, beetles, and something larger the other day that took her three days to eat.  Wolf spiders are hunters and do not spin web.  Orb weavers are not poisonous or aggressive.  Of course you probably don't want 10,000 of them living in your house :)

Bobspider.thumb.jpg.bf180512a2bd30813c97a2643de46d06.jpg

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, pontiachedmark said:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must think about kitties, babys, puppies, can´t get that pics out of my brains...................................

NEVER try me to look at that again🙈

Regards

Gerhard

1 hour ago, pontiachedmark said:

Gidday from the land Downunder.

Please look at this.

Mark.

I think a very good boot and fast leg do the Bristol Stomp ( for those of you not familiar with teen culture in the 60S it was a dance) or if the spiders to fast a baseball bat squash is the answer for that one. :omg:Heebie Jeebies the boss would not come off the ceiling for a week, would have to show the carcass with a stake in its heart.

OK guys get a load of this!  A quick search on the web heading of worlds largest spiders reveals these monsters.  While their bite would not kill most humans, some of us would just die from a heart attack if we were to come across one of them!  Not to mention anyone that's allergic to spider venom.

Here is the Huntsman Spider that can actually be found in subtropical areas of California, Texas, and Florida.  Its body alone can reach a length of 12 in.

100_4924.thumb.JPG.1106d4e4174be20b4eeeada86eda15d7.JPG

Then we have the Goliath Birdeater that weighs in at 6.2 oz. with a leg span of 12 in. and 1 in. long fangs.  This one actually eats birds.

100_4925.thumb.JPG.6b959d1c027623baff5c096485126cdc.JPG

100_4926.thumb.JPG.8c4ebed3e59a74f3c25cd83fca0daa26.JPG

This fellow is known as the Brazilian Giant Tawny Red Tarantula with a 10.2" leg span.

100_4927.thumb.JPG.e5999f435cf88d76ed187cf19c3808ce.JPG

Or how about this little fellow known as the Brazilian Salmon Pink Birdeater with his 10" leg span.

100_4923.thumb.JPG.c52c884c05b757fbaac08ac46d9f562e.JPG

Here is a view of the bottom side of the Tawny Red Tarantula again. Check out those fangs! :omg:

100_4922.thumb.JPG.9f546c46dcd070a347a1e7a314235c30.JPG

How would you react if you found one of these fellows in your shop?   And John, I don't think a simple stomp of your boot or a baseball bat would do this fellow in.  I think a taser would just make them mad!  Anyone up for a viewing now of the movie Arachnophobia? :stunned:

16 minutes ago, thibaultron said:

"The Giant Tarantula"

That movie scared me so bad that I hid on the floor of the back seat, (We were in a drive in) and stayed there for most of the movie. Did pretty much the same thing for "Creature from the Black Lagoon".

I watched Tarantula more recently on late night TV and it was really pretty silly.

Edited by lmagna

Mhhm, there is a picture somewhere in my archive of me poking at a tarantula in a hole in the Amazon rainforest somewhere below Manaus ... they also had one living in the thatched roof above the bar of the 'hotel' I was staying in - no one was bothered, as they were considered harmless as long as you didn't bother them. On the same occassion I walked through the jungle with some guys and they jumped high, when we came across some red ants - their poison is so painful that you can die from a heart attack after a few bites.

Women and spiders seem to be two worlds apart - wonder why ? My wife jumps (or rather makes me jump) at anything that has more than two legs and enters uninvited the apartment - but then she loves their marine relatives, shrimp et al.

When I was a kid in the 1960s, we had a summer house in an area that is also an important vegetable growing area. Plenty of flies fed plenty of spiders. Every morning you had to leave the house with stretched-out hands to get rid of the webs they built across the door. Same for windows. They were everywhere. 'Thanks' to intensive pesticide spraying only a few are left I think.

Edited by wefalck
31 minutes ago, wefalck said:

Every morning you had to leave the house with stretched-out hands

I still have to do that in my house. I have a bush on the left and a tree on the right of my stairs and keep a stick to clear webs on the porch. If you forget then the kids go out and all is OK as they are short. BUT you get nailed around the face as you follow them!:blink:

We also have a row of hedges along the side of our house and in the Spring they look like an apartment high rise for spiders! hey do seem to keep the bug population down somewhat though.

We also had rows of rasberry and red-currant bushes - harvesting there could be a challenge (actually mainly to my mother and grandmother 👹), but on late-summer mornings, when there was dew on them, the nets could be really beautiful. Luckily, in central Europe we don't have much bigger ones than Araneus diadematus that has a body length of 2 cm maximum. I know, small fry for our friends down-under and over.

While on Maui one time they were burning the sugar cane fields for harvesting the sugar.  We were driving on the highway going past this operation when the road seemed to have a flowing layer of brown water on it and all the cars ahead were all slowing down, we thought because of the smoke.  I was driving and also slowed down when we hit the brown water(?) area, and the car began to slide like it was icy or something.  Well, it turned out that the road was actually covered with large spiders fleeing the fire that we were running over! (essentially greasing the road) I have never seen so many spiders in my life!  We were wondering if they had to run a street sweeper to clean off all the dead spiders to make the road safe to drive on again. :piratetongueor4:

This is one of our dew mornings:

image.png.dd26efb1e81bbd533e6253671a06f545.png

My wife is standing in the doorway at he bottom of the picture for reference

image.png.6421ed7fb0e0cffa6bf557babf0925c0.png

image.png.b4506abecf9a57abea00e2a21f429ddb.pngimage.png.aa16799b3708d3541424da7d54e4d78a.png

image.png.6b489cf4739166ac384a0edbdba82366.png

I thought I had some pictures of another day when the webs were frosted form cold temperatures but I couldn't find them. These webs were even better to look at that in the pictures but we suffer from a pretty lousy cameraman around here. 

I was outside cleaning up and the Boss was screaming at the top of her lungs, thought someone got in the house and was threatening her. I ran inside and she was on top of the bed yelling get it, get it, I says get what,  she says that damned snake is under the bed.

Well I stalled a little bit (you see my phobia is snakes specifically if there under a bed and I can't see them.) While I contemplate the problem she's still screaming get it get it, I says please give me a break. I start to leave the room, she panics where are you going, I says to get my gun, she says why, I says I'm going to shoot it, she says in the house, I says yes unless you want to stay on top of the bed.

I get the gun and a broom, she says why the broom, I says unless you want to get down and push it out to help out, finally she says nothing. So I have a flashlight, thank god she's a good housekeeper under the bed clear and there it is looking at me about 3 feet away I push the broom at it and as it slithers off she screams its out get it I says where she says behind the night stand, I says oh ----. I walk to the side of the nightstand and its coiled up against the wall she starts in a again okay Einstein what now I says if you make one more remark I'm leaving you in here with the snake finally peace and quite.

Well I had a pistol 357  and took aim she starts in not in the house at that time 1st shot, man I didn't know snakes could bleed like that blood spatter on the wall this is becoming a crime scene. She says is it dead, it was still moving  I then shoot two more times I says get down its dead, its a monster about six foot, I get a 4 prong rake and pull it out take it outside. Well it was 3 1/2 foot blacksnake what was left of it.

She's calm but for 2 days kept an eye out in the bedroom. For me 3 hours filling holes wire mesh spackling and painting and replace a small strip of molding. True story Boss can provide an affidavit to any non-believer.:pirate41::pirate41::pirate41:3shots.

1 hour ago, John Allen said:

Your right no boot, or bat a 12 gauge with 00 buckshot.

I discovered, when I was about ten, that I was allergic to spider venom, (courtesy of a large garden spider) while in route to hobby shop to buy a model that I had been eyeing for some time. From then on, whenever I encountered a spider it became a dead spider.  At times I did it with a certain amount of, dare I say, extreme prejudice. 

After building our first house and planting some small decorative pines on either side of the garage door, I came out one fine morning only to discover that a very large garden spider had taken up residence in one of them.  Well, having never forgotten my first encounter with one of them,  with a certain amount of glee, I decided to extract some revenge!    

I went in the house and got out my .22 rifle and  loaded it with  some .22 special short rounds. (They only give off a soft pop when fired and I didn't want to startle the neighbors as it was a residential area after all.)  So with loaded rifle in hand I made sure no one was around and put the muzzle a few inches from said spider and let him have it!  Satisfyingly obliterating said spider!  :piratetongueor4:

You guys are scary! A .357 for a 3 foot snake and .22 for a spider! That's kind of like using a 105 Howitzer on Bambi! :blink:

Having said that I have a friend who did the exact same thing only he used his lever action .30-06 on a spider web! I have to take his word that there was a HUGE spider in the web before he fired as there certainly wasn't afterward. The same guy had another incident years earlier that I did see though. We were MUCH younger, this was back in the days when a 12 years old kid was allowed to go into the woods on their own and hunt small game! I know hard to believe that was ever possible! At any rate were hunting rabbits with .22s,( We didn't own a shotgun) when he saw a squirrel and took a shot at it. He missed, but instead of running up the nearest tree for some reason the darn thing decided to charge! He ran right at my friend at an incredible speed! My friend got off two more shots on a panic that didn't even come close and the squirrel went right between his legs and into some bushes behind him. I still remind him about "Deadly attacking Ninja squirrels" whenever I see him.

Another incident was when I had to go to a house where a woman said that there was a bat attacking! (My first thought was "Where is Animal Control?") Anyway I bravely went inside, acting like I knew what I was doing, or for that matter what I was going to do, because that was what was expected of me! Sure enough there was a bat zipping around, probably looking for a way out. This thing was probably about half the size of a starved mouse baby but it still startled me on one pass so badly that I took my baton and swung it like a baseball bat! To my utter surprise there was a tiny little "Thwack" noise and the little thing did it's last flight across the room and hit the wall! I had just reacted, and instantly felt saddened with what I had done.

Gday All

As the new Australian on the scene I thought I would share a picture and a story.

The obvious caption for the picture is Spidey 1 Bird 0

Oh and that is a BABY spider they get MUCH bigger!!!

Now the story dates back to my time in the services.  We were on exercises in North Queensland and were hitching a ride through the jungles on APCs.  The spiders up there hunt by stringing their webs between trees and catching parrots.  So we are sitting on the OUTSIDE of the vehicle and you would suddenly hit these webs.....spider and all!!!

Stuff the shotgun give we a 20mm aa gun with depleted uranium rounds cause nothing else will stopmthese things!!!

spidey1 bird0.jpg

4 hours ago, Petes Shipyard said:

The spiders up there hunt by stringing their webs between trees and catching parrots.  

Just another good reason to make short work of them! :10_1_10:

4 hours ago, Petes Shipyard said:

Stuff the shotgun give we a 20mm aa gun with depleted uranium rounds cause nothing else will stopmthese things!!!

Nice shoot'n Tex!  Our parrotlet Sebastian thanks you!IMGA0858.JPG.b328b238f6cdc53e1012e9e61e95cf76.JPG:bird-vi: