HMS Victory by gjdale - FINISHED - Mamoli - Scale 1:90

Thanks again for all the nice comments and "likes".

Daniel (Dafi) - thanks for the unashamed sales pitch, but I don't think I'll be needing your product. :)

A small update......

Following the advice/opinions of you good folks, I made a minor tweak to the Mast Cleats prior to installation, which required re-blackening as well (no prob :) )

post-242-0-74325600-1396655520_thumb.jpg

And here are the Foremast set installed (Main and Mizzen Mast Cleats have also been installed):

post-242-0-47276400-1396655522_thumb.jpg

And with the Truss Pendant falls re-done to belay on the Mast Cleats:

post-242-0-05477100-1396655524_thumb.jpg

This shot shows the forward Kevel Cleats (with working sheave) installed, with the Fore Yard Lifts belayed to them. (The Kevel is on the right of the photo, next to the bulwark):

post-242-0-00301500-1396655519_thumb.jpg

And finally, those pesky Shroud Cleats.  I've finished installing the Foremast Shroud Cleats.  Fortunately, the Main Mast Shrouds don't use any Shroud Cleats.  So, just the Mizzen Shroud Cleats left to install.  The only real difficulty in installing the Foremast Shroud Cleats was the fact that the Foremast Yard was already in place, causing a "poke your eye out" hazard (the optivisor saved me several times).  The Mizzen ones should be a little easier to do.

Taking a photo of the installed Shroud Cleats also proved problematic.  This is about the best I could do in that regard.

post-242-0-72411900-1396655525_thumb.jpg

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the way both of these cleat sets have turned out.

Edited by gjdale

Hi Buddy,

That looks really smart mate, the mast cleats are perfect as are the shroud cleats, I should imagine they were a bit of a pig to fit weren't they. :cheers:

All in all you have a great job of these little pesky bits, well done, be proud mate. -_-  -_-

Don't mention the cricket. :angry:  :angry:

Be Good & Stay Cool

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Your efforts have really paid off Grant.  Well done ---- we all know how finicky it can be to get those shroud cleats sitting just right!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Grant,

The shrouds cleats are just like a hidden puzzel....

You have to look careful but that means that they are perfect in place !

The rest is just what I've expecting from you.....nice and clean !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Sweet work, Grant.  They look perfect in place.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looking real good Grant

Definitely worth that extra effort

Great work

Edited by Micklen32

<p><strong><span style="font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;"><span style="font-size:18px;">Keep it up :10_1_10:</span></span><span style="font-size:18px;font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;"> </span></strong></p>

<p><strong><span style="font-size:18px;font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;">Mick</span></strong></p>

<p> </p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;">Current Build --- Will Everard --- </span><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3636-will-everard-by-micklen32-billing-boats-167/'>http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3636-will-everard-by-micklen32-billing-boats-167/</a></span></p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;">Current Build --- Endeavour --- <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2804-hmb-endeavour-by-micklen32-occre-154/'>http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2804-hmb-endeavour-by-micklen32-occre-154/</a></span></p>

<p> </p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;">Completed --- Guitar --- <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://micksjem.blogspot.co.uk/'>http://micksjem.blogspot.co.uk/</a></span></p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;">Completed --- Barcelona Taxi --- <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://micklen-taxi.blogspot.co.uk/'>http://micklen-taxi.blogspot.co.uk/</a></span></p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;">Completed --- London Tram --- <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://micklen-tram.blogspot.co.uk/'>http://micklen-tram.blogspot.co.uk/</a></span></p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;">Completed --- OcCre Mississippi --- <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1803-spirit-of-mississippi-by-micklen32-occre-180-a-hopefully-accurate-rendition/'>http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1803-spirit-of-mississippi-by-micklen32-occre-180-a-hopefully-accurate-rendition/</a></span>

Thanks Mobbsie, Lawrence, Augie, Sjors, Joe, Mark, Mike and Mick, and also for all the "likes".

Well, I'm finally back to the stage I thought I was at some weeks ago! :D

But it wasn't without mishap :o .......

As I was attaching one part of the rigging today, I managed to knock the Fore Topgallant Mast and snap it off - again  :angry:  :angry:  :angry: .  It actually broke in a different place to the last time, proving that my repair job last time was stronger than the original mast.  ;)   This time it broke right across the hole drilled to simulate the sheave for the topgallant yard tye, making repair a little tricky.  I used the same method with 2-part epoxy and it seems to be holding alright thus far.

In re-mounting the yards, I decided to use Gil's idea of pinning the yards to the mast with a small brass/copper wire pin.  This worked even better than I thought it would and makes the process a lot easier, especially when applying tension to the lifts of the topsail and topgallant yards.  Thanks Gil  ;)

So here's a few shots to show the current state of play........

First up an overview.  You will see that I haven't yet decided how I'm going to finish off the Yard Tackle Pendants on the lower yard.

post-242-0-44892100-1390648147_thumb.jpg

This is the Fore Topagallant Yard.  If you look closely you will see the repair job where the tye runs through the mast.

post-242-0-65505600-1396655724_thumb.jpg

A general shot showing the Fore Topsail Yard:

post-242-0-46595900-1396655726_thumb.jpg

This shot shows the Shroud Cleats being used to secure the fall of the Topsail Lifts:

post-242-0-94396000-1396655727_thumb.jpg

And this is a close-up showing the Shroud Trucks in use on the Topsail Yard tyes:

post-242-0-58405600-1396655729_thumb.jpg

I think I'm now ready to do this all over on the Main Mast........ :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

Edited by gjdale

Wonderfully done!

XXXDAn

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

I am beginning to believe that the waning of the Full Moon is affecting MSW.  Between Sherry, Mark and yourself the news coming across the wire has not been uplifting.  I am giving serious consideration to refraining from entering the shop today!

That said, she's looking very nice from here!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Sorry to hear of yet another accident....I truly do know the feeling. Terrific work, she really is a beautiful ship!

Augie: I think it's the waning of caution and attentiveness....at least on my part. Isn't the old saying: "bad things come in threes" ergo, we should be all finished with this now!

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

This is a whole new meaning to the term "Kit Bashed", If you continue in this vain I'm going to send Sjors over to sort you out, cant think of a bigger threat at the moment. :D  :D

That's bad luck mate but I have every confidence that you will sort it.

Riggings looking really nice and the pictures of those trucks and cleats are just what I need.

Well done my friend

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Thank you all for the very kind comments. The repair job seems to be holding okay.

B.E. - I think a Board of Inquiry would make a finding of extreme negligence and proceed straight to Court Martial.

Sherry - I hope you are right about the rule of threes!

Mobbsie - send him on down. I could use an extra pair of hands when it comes to belaying some of these lines!!!

Be careful what you ask for !

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Grant,

I saw no negligence, only battle damage that was well repaired..  :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I need to make a decision now about how to display the Yard Tackle Pendants.  Basically, I can show them "in use", by which I mean with the tackle extended and hooked into a ringbolt in the channels (which is what the kit was trying to show - I think), or I can show them "triced up" (showing the tricing lines rigged, with the tackle hooked into the futtock shrouds).  I think there is a third option, which would be to have the Tackle Pendants secured along the yard, with tricing lines removed (which I think would be their normal "sea-going" position).

I decided to try rigging one of each of the first two options to see what they looked like.  But before I could do that, I realised that the Long Tackle Blocks in the pendants were upside down  :o  :o  :o (oops....)  Re-doing those in situ was something of a challenge, but not too difficult.  While I was at it, I fixed the ones on the Main Yard before I got to fitting it!

I'd really appreciate some opinions on which version to settle on, so I took some pictures of each.  This proved to be harder than the rigging job itself!  Apologies for the poor photos - these are the best I could manage.

So, here are a few showing Option One - "in use" (final belaying not yet completed):

post-242-0-94811500-1390800648_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-83537200-1390800650_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-67162200-1390800652_thumb.jpg

And here are a few showing Option Two "triced up" (final trimming of lines not yet complete) (Note: the brass wire is a weight to put some catenary in the tackle line):

post-242-0-29205600-1390800654_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-37017100-1390800656_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-53764500-1390800658_thumb.jpg

And finally, here is a head-on shot hopefully showing both options:

post-242-0-51354300-1390800660_thumb.jpg

So waddayareckon?  Option One or Option Two (or something completely different?)

Edited by gjdale

Good Morning / Afternoon Mate,

Both options look good mate but I think I prefer option 1, in my opinion option 2 makes the yard seem too busy and a little overcrowded.

I know that this is one of the correct ways of stowing these with all the research you have done and on the full size ship that's OK, but with a model of this scale I think it's too much.

Option 1 is cleaner but it may have the tendency to get in the way while you continue the rest of the rigging.

Whichever you choose it will look good, their my thoughts mate but your the skipper.

I'm sure you will make the right decision and one that suits you.

I must say she is looking pretty sweet mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

I'm going to join in with Mobbsie and cast a vote for option 1.  It's clean and I just have a fancy for stuff 'out there'.  I will be standing by awaiting receipt of an award certificate for just finding the yard tackle pendant in photo 1.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Grant

Option #2 (the yards WERE busy) also there will be enough going on "out there" by time you're done...........

By the way I've been meaning to ask when your done with your VIC can you build mine 'cause it aint going to look as good as yours...........LOL!

Sam

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING UNDER DEVELOPMENT 

Hi Grant my vote is for Option 2;

I have to admit a preference for both taut and slack rigging on a model and the yard tackles hanging below the yard and hooked to the futtocks gives an opportunity  to display this.

The arangement you have with the Long tackle blocks and falls needs some fettlin' to get them to look their best along the yard, the lines pulled close thro' the sheaves and hanging in a realistic curve to indicate a certain heaviness in the tackle.

To achieve this I tend to stretch the lines and paint them with dilute pva or similar and then weight them to get the result.

I know Longridge advocated hooking them into the channels to help secure the yards against the upward pull of the lifts, but for me it's the least attractive option.

Cheers,

M.

Hi Grant,

There's a Third Option - make the Yard Tackles look like they are REALLY doing something by hooking them up to a Longboat ready for "Liftoff" like on my "HMAT Supply". Sorry about the camera angles, I can't find a clearer pic on my computer and you'll have to go to Norfolk Island and visit the Pier Museum to see the model :D .

Complete 012.jpg  Complete 023.jpg  Complete 008.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

I dont know how or if i rigged them at all. I will have a look and post pic if I did. wshat did Longridge do?

When I did bounty I did one way one side, the other on the other side - to show potentially that one side of the ship was being worked.

Danny's idea is useful too. (though possibly if they were going to lift boats the yards may have been braced around a bit to clear the shrouds better and produce better angles of force).

Colin

--

Current Builds: HMS Pandora 1/64 Scratch

Jeannie Johnston;

18thC Longboat with my son

Previous Builds: HMB Bounty - Caldercraft

Running Round my head: HMS Speedy (1782) - vaguely thinking POF

"If at first you don't succeed, try it your wifes' way"

Grant,

I like either option 1 or Danny's #3.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

(though possibly if they were going to lift boats the yards may have been braced around a bit to clear the shrouds better and produce better angles of force).

Colin, they are :D .

Complete 018.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thanks for the input everyone. Just to show how varied opinions are, we seem to have a pretty even distribution of votes between three options, and another of going 50/50. I think now then it will come down to "Captain's choice", though the Admiralty will no doubt need to be consulted first! ;)

It may well be a while before I get to make that final decision though as there are family matters to attend to this weekend, and a very busy couple of weeks at work.

Thanks again for the input one and all. :)

Colin, they are :D .

Damn - I forgot that you'd done that, and it wasn't obvious in the more horizontal photos.  At least Grant has full info to make his decision from.

Colin

--

Current Builds: HMS Pandora 1/64 Scratch

Jeannie Johnston;

18thC Longboat with my son

Previous Builds: HMB Bounty - Caldercraft

Running Round my head: HMS Speedy (1782) - vaguely thinking POF

"If at first you don't succeed, try it your wifes' way"