HMS Victory by gjdale - FINISHED - Mamoli - Scale 1:90

Hi Grant,

I'm still following you but I don't have a clue what you are talking about .......

But I believe it will be great ! :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

What Sjors said......... :cheers:

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Thanks Lawrence,

I'm going to have a bit of a play to see how that idea looks.

Sjors and Jim - thanks fellas, there are some who'd say I don't have a clue what I'm talking about either!!! :P. But glad to know you're hanging in there with me anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

It's been a little while since I posted an update, so thought I'd best pop in with a couple of progress shots to keep you-know-who happy.

I have now completed installing the yards on the main mast, along with the "inner" rigging for each yard (slings, trusses, jeers, tyes, lifts). I've also secured the yard tackles for both fore and main lower yards in a "temporary" arrangement.  Being still undecided as to the final "display" version, I've temporarily secured these hooked into the channels and shown the outer tricing line rigged.  It's not a bad compromise and may well be the final version, though I'm still thinking on this.

The hardest part of this process has been securing the lines to the belaying points - it gets pretty crowded in around the main mast.  I think my record so far has been one hour to secure a single line.  Let's just say that the language in this shipyard would have made even Mobbsie blush!  :o  :o  :o

Here are some progress shots, although at this stage, it all seems to be much of a muchness.

post-242-0-92968400-1393116773_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-33966300-1393116775_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-74739700-1393116776_thumb.jpg

In the photo below, you can see the temporary arrangement of the yard tackles, with the outer tricing line attached.  I've left the tail ends of these lines long for the time being, in case I change my mind.....

post-242-0-31591300-1393116778_thumb.jpg

Right, now for something completely different - the Mizzen yards !  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

Morning Mate,

It's starting to get busy in there and it aint gonna get any better. ( that's just to make you feel good ) :D  :D :D  

You'll be done before you know it mate and she's looking rather resplendent in her new adornments, so hang in there. :)

I fink oim gonna af ta give ya some elocussin teachins wot wiv you bein an hofficer and gentilman and all. Cant have you cussing the wrong stuff can we.  :P

The recipe for rigging, one line at a time and copious amounts of the fall over fluid. ;)  ;)

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Grant,

What Mobbsie said.. but to clarify:  rig first, then copious amounts of fall over fluid. Doing it the other way around could be very bad. :o

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

lol - i was about to say - i liked Danny,s option, but just realised that was written weeks ago, god where/ what is happening to my year, it is just flying by

seriously though she looks lovely

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

looking fantastic Grant.Its going to get really crowded around the masts . I dont know if you are using one, but I found that by making a groove in the end of a 2 x 2mm x 30mm strip of wood you can work outside the web of lines. (see diagram me.

post-5894-0-09389600-1393173148_thumb.jpg

Hi Grant,

A bit further to Mike's suggestion above, I made a couple of simple tools for this kind of work. One is a "push" tool, the other a "pull" tool. They are made from piano wire with wooden dowel handles :

Rigging Tools 01.jpg

Rigging Tools 02.jpg

Couple these with some special Needle Threaders for feeding line through Eyebolts and it simplifies things considerably :

Needle Threaders 002.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Hey brotha from down unda, looks like you really are getting close to the finish line. Pictures look great. Question, how would you use those threaders for the eyebolts with lines in place? seems to be too crowded. Keep up the good work Mate.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Thanks everyone for the kind remarks, suggestions, and likes.

Mike and Danny - thanks for the tips/suggestions on rigging tools. I do have all of those, and even made up a new one for extra long reach by embedding a large sewing needle in a length of dowel, and cutting half the "eye" off the needle. What I really needed though was three hands (at least)! The Admiral was away, so I couldn't even bring in some contract labour. ;) I did find that a pair of locking tweezers was quite useful at times. That and the adult beverage (to celebrate afterwards!). :)

John - the needle threader would be used to draw a line through eye bolts as Danny suggests. I haven't tried this method yet. I always soak the end of the line (about 2cm) in diluted PVA glue, then cut the very tip at an angle. This creates a hard, sharp "needle" like end that is easy to feed through blocks, eyebolts etc. I usually hold this end in a pair of tweezers when threading through blocks etc - I find it easier than holding in my sausage-like fingers.

Ok, thanks for the clarification, that is the same method I use for threading, good stiff 1/2" with a point---much easier for me...

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Grant,  I'm so glad that you've taken on the yard tackles before I did.  Now I can sit back and evaluate your results.  As to breaking masts, you're becoming an expert  (at repair that is).  A couple of near misses though.  When you get to the braces, one gets both hands into the rigging and the problem is getting them out without taking everything else with them.  Wonderful progress and a beautiful ship.  Gil

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/485-hmsHMS Victory by Gil Middleton - JoTika - 1:72

Thanks Gil. I've almost finished fitting out the Mizzen yards, so hope to install these this weekend. You're absolutely right about getting the hands back out of the rigging again - I'm sure I'll get plenty more practice at this before I'm done!

Hey Grant, I think you know who is looking for some pictures....

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

Hi folks,

Small update and no pictures - sorry. :(

I have finished fitting out the Mizzen yards and had hoped to complete installing them on the ship today.  Alas, it was not to be.  I ran into a couple of speed bumps as I discovered (yet again) some slight differences between the kit rigging instructions and Longridge.  As you know, I'm trying to follow Longridge as far as possible, although occasionally the kit has made an omission that is impossible to fix at this stage of the build.  So, it's been one step forward, dwell a pause of two marching paces while I figure out how to overcome the next hurdle, and then move on again.

The Crossjack Yard and the Mizzen Topsail Yard are now both fitted (to the same stage of rigging as Fore and Main mast yards).  One snag I found was that the kit completely omitted the pin rail that goes around the base of the Mizzen Mast, and it's too late to be able to add one now.  That meant I had to get creative about where to belay the Topsail Yard lifts, as these should go to that pin rail. I solved this by belaying them around the base of the eyebolts that hold the blocks for the Crossjack Yard Truss Pendants.  Sound confusing?  Yeah, me too! :P

The good news is that the mast cleats and the shroud cleats I made some weeks back are coming into their own and working very well.

I just need now to fit the Mizzen Topgallant Yard, but as it is now midnight here, it will have to wait for another day.

I'll post some pics once all the yards are in place - probably next weekend as I'm travelling for work during the week.

That's got me thinking B.E. If it was only decorative, I'd say no problem. But as it will need to support tension from several rigging lines, it would need to be very securely fixed and that might be a problem, particularly with the restricted access to that area now. I'll think on it some more during the week. In the meantime, I'm open to further advice/suggestions.

Hi Grant,

I like B.E.'s suggestion mate but if you could just give us a picture of the offending area that may help us help you.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

OK, so B.E. got me thinking and I believe I've come up with a solution to retrofit the missing circular pin rail at the base of the Mizzen mast - a solution that will be structurally sound as well. I'll have to wait until I get home on the weekend to test my theory. I promise pics, one way or the other, after my trials.

Thanks Lawrence. It's the "two halves" that is the issue - it introduces an inherent weakness. But..........I have a cunning plan. One might say, so cunning, you could pin a tail on it and call it a fox! :P (apologies to Blackadder). All will be revealed in due course.......... ;)

And so, as the sun slowly settles in the west, we bid adieu to our daring pin rail innovator and wonder, what the heck has his devious mind conjured up?  Will he make his thingy in 2 halves?  Will he make it out of pine or ebony?  What does cast brass really look like on the mast?  Will the fair maiden escape the rail road tracks?  And who DID put the bop in the bop sh-bop sh-bop?

Tune in tomorrow for the exciting continuation!

Now, then, with that out of the way - look forward to seeing how you tackle this wee conundrum, Grant!  Good Luck!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Just what we need ----- another cliffhanger!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Grant,

mast pin rack.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

So, your also getting into making horseshoes are you !!!!!!!!!!! I much prefer deck coits, not so noisy. :D  :D :D  

I'm watching. :huh:  :huh:

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi all,

Back home after a week away with work, and just enough time in the shipyard to address the Mizzen Mast pinrail question.

I mentioned I'd come up with a cunning plan, and Danny picked it - that's exactly what I did....

First up, here is the starting point, showing the Mizzen mast with NO pinrail and with my scratch built mast cleats doing an admirable (if incorrect) job of securing the Truss Pendant tackle falls.

post-242-0-72370100-1394951126_thumb.jpg

First job then was to create a pattern for the pinrail. A relatively easy job using TurboCad, although I did do a little bit of fiddling to get the size/proportions to my liking.

post-242-0-15258600-1394951128_thumb.jpg

As I needed to construct this in four pieces (a la Danny's previous picture), I printed two patterns, cut them in half and glued them to a scrap piece of 1/32" boxwood:

post-242-0-47383500-1394951129_thumb.jpg

Then it was simply a case of cutting out and gluing together..........or was it?  :o

On my first attempt, I cut out the basic pattern with a scroll saw, glued it all up and then tried to drill the large centre hole (about 6mm diam) ................. and watched the entire piece disintegrate.  :angry:

On the second (and final) version, I used a cylindrical stone in my Dremel to first cut the half-circle in each of the four pieces (stone was just the right diameter), then cut the four pieces off on the Byrnes saw, then got them close to final shape with the Byrnes disc sander, before temporarily gluing up and finishing the final shape by hand with a sanding board.  This proved much easier (and quicker) than using the scroll saw.  After that I drilled the holes for the belaying pins and did a test fit:

post-242-0-74212100-1394951130_thumb.jpg

Then I soaked the entire assembly in isopropyl alcohol to separate the four pieces before carefully installing them around the mast.  Here's the final product:

post-242-0-30245300-1394951134_thumb.jpg

Just waiting for the glue to set before re-attaching lines various.  In the meantime, I managed to fit the Mizzen Topgallant Yard with Tye, Parral and Lifts.  Once the lower yard lines are re-attached, I will have finished this stage of the rigging and will return to the Foremast to begin the process of attaching Clue Lines, Sheets and Braces etc.  And of course the Driver Boom and Gaff will need to be fitted soon as well...............

Afternoon Grant,

Very nicely done mate and very well explained to boot.

Here's hoping you don't have any more little problems and that it's all plain sailing from here on.

mobbsie