HMS Victory by gjdale - FINISHED - Mamoli - Scale 1:90

Hi Grant, magnificent job. She looks absolutely amazing. I will look forward to following your next build.

Thanks Mike. Grab a drink and some popcorn and come on over to the darkside.

• 1 month later...

Hi Grant,

Just catching up with my favorite builds, all I can say is wow! you've done a marvelous job on your Victory, all the efforts you've done adding those modifications and extra detail work have really paid off, she looks splendid!  B)

Congratulations on completing this beautiful ship my friend, and I'm looking forward to your next project :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all. I am new to this forum and have been reading and viewing Grant's Victory build. It looks awesome! I am about to finally embark on my own build which I have had since the late '90's. Since Mamoli no longer makes this model, I was wondering if anyone had a list of paint colors needed for this ship. I know each builder may change or use different colors than called for and I may do this as well. But I would like a starting point as far as paints. The instructions, as far as I can tell, just mention painting colors in the detailed build description. I would rather not try to find every color Mamoli suggests. So, if anyone can help me out, I would certainly appreciate it. I'd like to get all paints and other supplies that I need before I start the build. I have five prior builds but this is the largest and probably most complex one! I will check back often to see how things are going. If there is another active forum on the Victory, that would be good to know also. Thanks in advance for any help.

Bill G.

Hi Bill,

Welcome to MSW and thanks for your comments on my Victory build. This forum is a great resource for finding help and advice and will quickly become the most used tool in your tool box. The best way to get that advice is start your own build log when you're ready - you'll find many others will then follow along and you can ask questions as you go. You can post specific questions within your own (or others) logs, but if you want more general advice, posting a separate thread is likely to get more replies. If you haven't already done so, do a search for Victory builds as you will find many here of high standards to help you out. I particularly recommend reading through the log by Gil Middleton - it is probably the "Gold Standard" for kit builds of this ship, although it is the Caldercraft version rather than the Mamoli one. If you really want to see an impressive build, check out the scratch built Victory by EdT.

To answer your question on paint colours, the main ones you'll need are yellow ochre and black. I did most of my painting long before I found MSW and my choices today would probably be different. However, I used Humbrol No.7 for the Yellow Ochre on mine, although there are many other brands available. You might like to have a look at the "Admiralty" paints on the Model Expo website. I've heard some good things about these paints.

Finally, I recommend you make an introductory post in the "New to the Forum" section, to introduce yourself properly. You'll find a very warm welcome from around the globe, and if you mention your Victory build, I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses from the many other Victory builders here.

Thanks so much Grant. What a quick response! That sounds like some great advice. I will check out the other Victory builds and I will get on the 'New to the Forum' forum. I actually found the original paints that I got when I got the kit in '95. Lots of sediment on the bottom of the bottles but I'm giving them a good shake and they may be alright. They've never been opened so I've got my fingers crossed. Looks like an awesome site to get plenty of help and answers. I'm glad I found it. Talk to you soon.

• 3 months later...

Great One , Superb , Amazing :))))

i loved theway you work , i'm building same as your model and u gave me a great advise with your model,

i bought mine at 2008 while my visit to Italy and i carry it home taking it al the time by my hand like a child :)

i strted at 2010 as i rember but now i back to work and really your model gave me a lot of advise

and i want to ask you if the wood strip and rigging line are enough to finish the model or you will need to buy some of that things

cause thats is my nightmare incase i did something wrong and i need to rebuild it .

Completed Model: La Toulounaise

Current Build: HMS Victory, Mamoli kit, 1/90

On the Shelf: Corel HMS Victory Cross section

Hi George and welcome to MSW. Thank you for your kind words about my Victory build. You should have enough of the wood strips - at least, I don't remember running out. If you do, it's pretty ease to buy more timber strips - there are plenty of places to obtain that from (Cornwall Model Boats in the UK is a good source). As for rigging line, I replaced most of the kit supplied rigging line with stuff from the Syren Ship Model Company (link on the home page of this site). Chuck's rigging line really is second to none. His blocks are also the best - I made my own, but I had the equipment to do it, and Chuck taught me how.

Best wishes for your build and if I can be of any further assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

• 2 years later...

Man, you are an inspiration.  I am doing the same model, if I can get it half a decent as your's I will be a very happy bunny.

what a pleasure it has been looking at your pics, albeit quickly.  I will be spending a bit of time studying them in detail when i get this extension finished and get back to doing my boat. 

thank you

regards

Spider

Thank you for your kind words Spider. I’m glad my build log has been inspiring for you and I hope that it continues to give you help as you progress. I must note though, that my build would not have turned out nearly so well had it not been for the kindness and generosity of the good folks who make up this forum community. 

• 1 year later...

Excellent work!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Grant, 

SUPERB example of this super difficult (to achieve correctly) ship - :imNotWorthy: Well done indeed.

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

• 5 months later...
On 2/16/2013 at 5:17 AM, gjdale said:

Well, here we go with what you might call the "Executive Summary" of my build log.  I started this log when I first joined MSW in Sep 2011.  At that time, the model had been under construction for 15 years, although the last six years had been a complete hiatus while work, family, and life in general got in the way.  This is state of the ship around the time of joining MSW:

post-242-0-43277100-1361009035_thumb.jpg

Form here I'll just focus on some of the key events of the last 18 months or so.  First up was a decision over hammock netting.  We had quite a discussion over whether to use black or white (or other colour) netting.  After many, many trials, I settled on black netting made from Tulle (comes white, but painted black).  Here's a shot of the completed netting:

post-242-0-36417500-1361009199_thumb.jpg

In Jan 2012, I decided to take a little side-road to scratch build one of the ship's boats.  I settled on the 34ft launch, using lines from AOTS and guided by a mini-practicum by Bob Hunt.  Here's a photo-essay of this little journey:

post-242-0-08337200-1361009331_thumb.jpeg

post-242-0-17069900-1361009334_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-33556100-1361009337_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-29034600-1361009340_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-87465200-1361009342_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-30107800-1361009345_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-56950600-1361009347_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-79806300-1361009349_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-94685300-1361009351_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-29753400-1361009354_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-32063200-1361009366_thumb.jpg

A little bit further down the track, I became dissatisfied with the look of the Stern and Quarter Galleries.  Although I'd already made a mod to the kit some years ago, my experience here at MSW convinced me that I could do better.  Danny came to the party too, providing detailed drawings and long distance e-mail support, guidance and mentoring along the way.  I owe a great deal to Danny for the way this turned out and this whole exercise summed up for me what this wonderful site is all about.  Enough blathering, here's a little photo-essay of this adventure:

post-242-0-61796300-1361009634_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-24818400-1361009638_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-38932100-1361009642_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-21341100-1361009646_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-87685100-1361009649_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-34273200-1361009653_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-56085500-1361009656_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-48562100-1361009660_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-70173800-1361009664_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-96966000-1361009668_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure about limits to pictures in one post, so I'll just break this one off here and continue shortly.

Cheers,
Grant

I know this was done a long time ago but I never cease to be impressed by the workmanship and art I see on MSW.

The small boat was great with good pics. I will give one of those a try.