Sloop Norfolk 1798 by Fernando E - FINISHED - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:36

Many thanks Danny for looking in and your encouraging words....very appreciated.

As to the rigging I am using the thread supplied by the kit as, from my limited knowledge, it isn't that bad. I also decided that I would finish off this model and depending on what I build next and what is provided by the next kit maker I will have a look at getting some of the Syren thread as it looks a treat!

I won't be putting sails on the model but just following what the kit has given me....sails and hoops (particularly as it hasn't been supplied ) is a bit too advanced for me at this stage. As I get more experience I will get more adventurous and more true to what the models actually looked like. I suppose at this stage I am just trying to get experience on building wooden boats....very enjoyable so far even though I have been rather slow with the build updates. 

Here are a couple of photos of what I have been doing over the past week. I didn't realise how difficult /fiddly fixing the shrouds on to the boat could be. I had two goes at it as the first time the shrouds just did not align properly. I did use a jig (see photo below) which did assist me the second time around -  Next time I will read through some of the build logs in much more detail :default_wallbash: I've also fitted a lanyard strip which the manual said just to stick it on to the thread. I decided to lash them on to the shrouds as it does look a lot more realistic. 

More to follow shortly:)

20171109_165533.jpg

20171109_165710.jpg

20171109_165642.jpg

20171115_171418.jpg

20171114_135958-1.jpg

20171115_171418-1_1510726839753.jpg

Edited by Fernando E

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

S Lucia by Fernando E - Panart - Scale 1:30

Sloop Norfolk 1798 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:36 

Here's what I  just finished....have just added the Forestay which was fairly straightforward. I have used two types of black thread, one was 1mm whilst the other, .75mm, I used for  reeving(?) the blocks. I prefer to use black thread as it stands out much better. I will need to use brown thread for the running rigging as it appears that it's the norm to use that colour. 

I will be starting the ratlines next. The instructions say that they should be spaced approximately 5mm apart which seems a bit too close for my liking. I was looking at 10mm spacing but any suggestions would be appreciated. As this is also standing rigging I was hoping to use .75mm black thread. The instructions also say to use .25mm fawn cord which again doesn't seem to look right (too thin and to my limited experience not right for standing rigging) and again any guidance would be appreciated.

20171115_152633.jpg

20171115_152732-1.jpg

20171115_152732.jpg

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

Many thanks Danny,Russ and Rony for looking in.

I had a couple of hours last night and today to do the ratlines,the fore preventer  stay and fore topmast stay. The ratlines, as I expected, took some time to do as I started with a .75mm black thread (my choice) at 5mm spacing as mentioned in the instruction. As mentioned in my previous post a 5mm space between the ratlines didn't look right and when I put a couple of rows on it was clear that they were far too close and did not look right. I then went to 10mm spacing but realised that the .75mm black cord was far too thick and again just didn't look right so off they came :default_wallbash:and I started using the brown cord (.25mm) supplied by the kit and they actually did the job:D. Once started I got into a rhythm and a couple of hours later they were done! I spent a lot of time measuring the spaces between each row and ensuring the levels were identical before adding a touch of glue to hold the thread in place.

Next I worked on the fore preventer stay then the fore top mast stay which were relatively straight forward. I did have to do some small sanding and enlarging the holes in the blocks as the kit supplied ones were either too small or only half way drilled!!!

Next came the backstays which, I have started on but after looking at thin thread for a few hours and going cross eyed  I have put down the tools and will finish them off tomorrow if I get a chance.

More to come :10_1_10:

20171118_152233.jpg

20171118_152040.jpg

20171118_172800.jpg

Previous Builds - 

Nicely done Fernando :). Ratlines were around 12" to 14" apart, so a spacing of 10mm @ 1:36 scale wouldn't be too far off the mark ;).

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally put in the hard yards over the weekend and finished off the build:dancetl6::dancetl6::dancetl6:

The backstays and the, fore preventer stay and fore mast stay were fairly straight forward.The jib halliard was  a breeze as was the the jib halliard  out haul. The throat halliard as well as the peak halliard were also straight forward (though the blocks were, to say the least of poor quality and I had to do some sanding and re drilling of a number of holes!:angry:).Probably the most fiddly bits to do were placing the parrel beads on the yokes but after a couple of goes was able to finally get them all on...I went cross eyed a couple of times!!!!. 

I followed Dan Vad's build on the boom traverse and placed it through the transom banister rail. Putting it on to the transom front just didn't make sense to me as it would have been far to difficult to move around with the rudder above it.  I was able to use some old copper wire and blackened it to make it look a bit more "used". 

Next came the cat heads which I had already made up earlier. I did cut a rebate on the cap rails for them to sit a lot better on the model. Adding the anchors was also fairly straight forward. I will probably add some more deck details (rope coils for the belaying pins and on the deck) some time in the future but for now will leave it as is.

A few points now that I finished the build-

Overall a very enjoyable experience!

The kit build instructions were excellent and generally easy to follow particularly for a newbie like me

The materials supplied were generally of good quality. The only  issue I had were the quality of the blocks and I will pass this on to the supplier (in a constructive way of course).

Many thanks to those who checked in from time to time (particularly Dan for his comments and his build log).

Final photos attached and I hope to be back soon with another build log. In the meantime I will be following a few more build logs along the way.:cheers:

20171124_114122.jpg

20171124_114252.jpg

20171124_140005.jpg

20171124_170002.jpg

20171125_122901.jpg

20171124_135949.jpg

20171125_123335.jpg

20171125_123324.jpg

Previous Builds - 

Great job Fernando, allow me to be the first to congratulate you :).

You've even made those crappy blocks look good, and I know first-hand how bad they were before you started on them. So bad that mine went straight into the bin :D. Definite room for improvement on the part of Modeller's Shipyard there.

Any thoughts on what's coming up next?

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Many thanks Danny, very much appreciated.

Not sure what my next build will be. I do like the colonial ships.....perhaps the Sirius, the Supply, Perseverance or maybe the Bounty or Endeavour.....so many to choose from :) Will see what sits under the Christmas tree in December! I definitely have the "bug" to keep up the modelling so will be keen to start another one in the not too distant future. Watching the Ashes test whilst working on a model sounds like the way to go over the Christmas/New Year summer break:cheers:

Cheers........Fernando

Previous Builds -