HMS Fife by Kevin - Fleetscale - 1/72 - County-class destroyer - SOLD

Good afternoon from a snowy Bridgwater in Somerset 

I wanted to do some work on the 1/4 deck this weekend, but the only way ahead was to decide how to do the non slip pattern on deck, the plans differed from photos,  and the same ship pre and post refits showed changes, so I went a did my own thing

this is a museum exhibit and totally different to the palns
[aAanCRX]
[GYZpOPi]

[Y9wOv1a]

the area was marked to the shape i wanted the pattern to follow

[NCVOpSK]
[re43Ysk]
[M2YR2N9]

350 strips later
[ajbkGAl]
and a rattle can grey primer to show what touching up is needed, 
[UVxHxdB]
im quite pleased how it turned out
[HMxCeMn]

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Very precise and looking very good.   Sweet work, Kevin.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice deck work Kevin. Its snowing in West Sussex as well - on Friday I was walking on the South Downs in warm sun and thinking spring had sprung.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

17 minutes ago, KeithAug said:

Nice deck work Kevin. Its snowing in West Sussex as well - on Friday I was walking on the South Downs in warm sun and thinking spring had sprung.

no where as much as last week but makes taking his lorship out for walkies a pain

IMG_2599.JPG

IMG_2382.JPG

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Nicely done Kevin. I would think that nonskid is applied in areas of most expected traffic, so it looks like you may have nailed it.  The only nonskid I ever painted was on aircraft wings ;)

Hhhmmmmm, snow eh, that's a dirty 4 letter word here in Florida, today was only 82 F or 28 C. This meant yard work for Pieter.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

4 hours ago, Piet said:

Nicely done Kevin. I would think that nonskid is applied in areas of most expected traffic, so it looks like you may have nailed it.  The only nonskid I ever painted was on aircraft wings ;)

Hhhmmmmm, snow eh, that's a dirty 4 letter word here in Florida, today was only 82 F or 28 C. This meant yard work for Pieter.

Cheers,

Good morning Piet

LOL a few months time and everyone will be moaning it is 25 C

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

very nice what you've done on the deck......really adds a lot of the 'subtle' detail.   how thick are the strips you used to make them?   you may need to sand them down a bit thinner,  so they don't protrude from the deck surface as much.   the layout so far looks awesome  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 21/03/2018 at 2:13 PM, popeye the sailor said:

very nice what you've done on the deck......really adds a lot of the 'subtle' detail.   how thick are the strips you used to make them?   you may need to sand them down a bit thinner,  so they don't protrude from the deck surface as much.   the layout so far looks awesome  :) 

yes they may be a little on the thick side, but the strips are 0,25mm by 1.0mm anything any thinner would have been difficult to add using styrene glue, maybe a light sanding will not make it so ovious, lol just so that i can weather them and make them stand out again

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

good god its its time for another update

the bridge

the last big module and i messed up

the lower middle windows dont need to be there, but being a fool i put them in as they are on the plans, it appears they were moved at the time the B turret was replaced by the Exocet missile system, as a result the two outer ones were bang on top of the supports forming the shape and there is a notch missing where the knife slipped, oh hum
[b8EwnDF]
[L6O85Po]
[hTxJIJf]
[5Q68hot]
[D0ZbXZL]
[jhGoWEz]

the blast deflectors will cover the two lower windows

[F0VUlxy]

so i added two more
[zjPMhhd]
[UPXRdJt]

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Excellent work Kev.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Wow, impressive work kevin.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

I am in awe of this build, Kevin. You're details and improvisation of parts is wonderful to watch.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

bit of a surprise this weekend, my DIY was completed in two of my four days off, im not going to bore you with that, 

so that meant some boat building

Exocet Missile System

the bits that i bought were not the fit for use, or the wrong shape do they were modified
instead of being stepped the modules were in pairs, so two banks were joined together
and then added to a deck plate,

[dNpSovv]
[tv4j7Fb]
i scratched two blast deflectors with 0.5mm plasticard
[xWFD5cQ]
and added them with the aid of some hidden supports to keep them in place at the end of the missile pods
[zsuG32w]
[AHZjGxW]
some extra detailing and a whip aerial 
[Fdvg7yW]

[GRsRQ9x]
[7hRIqRU]

[ZtfVsHE]
[JsCVwoU]

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Coming on superbly mate,  the detail in those exocets is amazing.OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

nice work on the launcher assembly.....primered up,  they look great.   what is this going to do for the window dilemma?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

6 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

nice work on the launcher assembly.....primered up,  they look great.   what is this going to do for the window dilemma?

[F0VUlxy]

i will have to make them go away, my launcher looks like it is sitting a bit low and the windows slightly high, so i will give then a bit of a revamp this weekend

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

are those blast shields on the upper windows?   will all of the exposed windows have that treatment?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

8 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

are those blast shields on the upper windows?   will all of the exposed windows have that treatment?

i have a feeling they are window wipers, or so i thought, but dont know why the middle ones were left out

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Indeed they are wipers, Captain's windows for enjoying the view while sipping coffee in his comfy chair, can't let rain interfere....

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

• 1 month later...

Good evening everyone

i had been doing quite well on the build, the forward superstructure was marked out, the decking area around the 4.5 looked tidy and the forcastle over the last few weeks has been worked on to put on all the anti slip pattern

but only this weekend i realised that i would have to redo the whole of the front end due to not allowing for the anchor chain area, which does not have the anti slip pattern, it was impossible to remove with out looking naff, so has now been scrapped off into the bin

this is some of the area that should have been kept clear

20180421_115947.thumb.jpg.7d054f99391fe5435072bcf360cf83c7.jpg

last Saturday before priming

20180514_144703.thumb.jpg.288faa6457de44160f8c075d90b96f84.jpg

Breakwater in place, IMG_2763.thumb.JPG.1385ac4e3ba7ede4e4f62f09184947ee.JPG

IMG_2761.thumb.JPG.4b0e8cae5930561f02c1c2a2ffe21ced.JPG

into the sunshine IMG_2766.thumb.JPG.0610a83f64b2e5a2d9e5d3aa93a6dbc6.JPGIMG_2765.thumb.JPG.e26d9965523b1445f8ae2ae95a91ee04.JPGIMG_2769.thumb.JPG.4173ef2b428d06c7b136ccecb69bde92.JPG

and back to square one again

IMG_2771.thumb.JPG.88345bf25f997e905f7795ecc51b5672.JPG

IMG_2772.JPG

IMG_2764.JPG

20180514_143335.jpg

20180415_151633.jpg

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Great progress mate she is really starting to look the part,    I remember the forward section on Devonshire,  I was not allowed to go asfar forward as the anchor howsers, but I remember seeing the checkerplate, and the captstans to me a young kid looked massive.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

so good to see an update.........she sure shows her size on top of the bins!   look'in real good........the bow is coming a long great!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

it was nice to get an update done last night, i have found myself doing less and less posting recently, and thats not the way i want it to be

anyway, the new evergreen strips would have arrived today but they require a signature and no one home so will be picked up on saturday

the two smaller hawse holes have been filled in as they were not 100% in the correct position, and the repair did not look great

so everything is now back to the mdf and I will restart the front end this weekend and it is a bank holiday yipeeeee

20180514_150234.jpg

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Keep the posts and pics coming kev,   i and everyone else loves to see your developments,  your work is amazing and very inspiring.:cheers:

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

...a little putty will fix them.....no problem  ;)   scratch building is not a science......it's an art.   looking very good Kevin.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Scratch building at its best, one step back and two forward. Looking very impressive Kevin, sitting on them trash barrels.  

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

• 4 weeks later...

Good evening everyone

been away from the build for a couple of weeks, lol i am getting old and work has worn me out, and being tired had resulted in a few mistakes being made on the build

so having taken the forecastle back to MDF, all the hawse were filled in and reset to their proper positions, the deck was relines and new breakwater made
one side of the centre line is a little out in the fibre glass process, (ie both sides are not identical )so oi had to be a little creative with some of the non slip tresds to make it look the same

[Y8Yxwm7]
[dvMsSAz]
[drrIKLa]
i may do a little more of the pattern towards the front 
the bollards on the centre line are the incorrect size, i need to order/make some
[tZs74ah]
this is as much as i can do at the pointy end for now, i have to order some bits and obtain paint, most of this will be green and white

made a paper template for the next section between the superstructure and the breakwater, as most of this is decked out, 
[w8F0Rbt]
this allowed me to make some plank edging by getting the shape from the template onto lime sheets
[M63wsuN]
[11LdcTe]

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Great work  kevin nice and tidy  brings back so many memories when I went over Devonshire it was the only ship my late farther would pay to take us over.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Great progress Kevin, looking good.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra