Kit Recommendation

Asgard

Hi All,

I'm looking for advice and I think that this is the right place :)

So far I have some experience with building trains and plains. Currently working on my first kit - "Nuevo Galeón San Francisco II" Artesania Latina and for now everything goes well.

Anyhow, I'm looking for my next model :) My budget is around 600-700 $. Could y recommend some kit/manufactures. Right now on the top of my list  is OcCre - SANTISIMA TRINIDAD MONTAÑÉS and Artesania Latina - HMS Victory 

but I'm open for any advises/ideas.

Cheers,

Miro

MarisStella, Amati, Dusek and the list goes on. See the home page for a list of our sponsors and their products.

Miro,

Follow your heart.  If your heart isn't in a model, you'll probably never finish it.  However, if you're looking for a stepping stone to learn before doing a more complex kit, than that's different.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi All,

After some research I've decide to make some kind of a pool.

So far my choices are:

Ship                                          Manufacture

Wasa                                         Billing Boats or Corel
HMS Victory                             Billing Boats or Corel or Artesania Latina
HMS Agamemnon                   Caldercraft
HMS Prince                              Constructo
Vasa Swedish Man of War      Sergal/Mantua 
Montanes                                 Occre
Santisima Trinidad                  Occre
San Felipe                                Panart (my favorite)

Again, please share your knowledge/experience/anything and help me to decide.

Looking forward to hear from :)

Cheers,

Miro

Hello and welcome!

You ask a tough question to answer. It is one of those questions in which if you get 10 answers, they might be all different, as every one has their own opinion.

Ask yourself this:

By looking at the box photos, or build logs in this forum, of all the above, which one do I like the most?

Is it within my budget?

Then go for it!!!!

When I saw a picture of my present build, The Royal Louis I fell in love with it, but it was out of my budget. One day I saw the kit at a 75% discount and I just knew it had to be mine. I was finally able to get it. Patience and perseverance are keys in this our beloved hobby, in more ways than one! :)

Best regards

Ulises

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Hi Miro,

If you start a Build Log for your San Francisco (in the "Build Logs for Kits" forum) we might get an idea of your skill level. Then we would be better qualified to recommend a second model ship for you based on that. All the kits you are looking at require a high level of skill, and will take at least 2 or 3 years to complete so bear that in mind.

BTW - it doesn't matter if you are a fair way into the San Fran. You don't need to have a shiny new unopened box on your bench to start a Log :).

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

What Danny said goes for me also....

As for what's on your list.. the only one I know personally is the Billings Wasa (from about 10 years ago).  I'd rate it as for experienced builders with scratch building skills needed.  It is the most accurate of the Wasa kits however.

It will boil down to your choice, of course.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

19 hours ago, Dan Vad said:

Hi Miro,

If you start a Build Log for your San Francisco (in the "Build Logs for Kits" forum) we might get an idea of your skill level. Then we would be better qualified to recommend a second model ship for you based on that. All the kits you are looking at require a high level of skill, and will take at least 2 or 3 years to complete so bear that in mind.

BTW - it doesn't matter if you are a fair way into the San Fran. You don't need to have a shiny new unopened box on your bench to start a Log :).

:cheers:  Danny

Hi Dan,

I'll collect some photos during the process and make a Log. 

Cheers,

Miro