Schlachtschiff Scharnhorst by greyhawk - Hachette - 1:200

The Sleeper car is available in the US at a few places I've seen. You can also send an email to Amati and they will send you the car with no shipping costs added (when they're back from vacation at the end of the month). It's what I did because the German distributer was sleeping on his job.

Thank you. Yes, I found one for sale at Age of Sails, but for $1,000 a piece, that is hurting. It is normally the money I may spend on a brass locomotive in O scale, but for a car I think it is too much. 

It looks like a gorgeous piece though, with the precious woods and fabrics. If you ever start a BLOG on this car, please send us a link or better yet, start a BLOG on this forum under a Boat name.... 🙂

Thanks

Yves

Yves, James H has a build log on this site:

Enjoy. I took one look at the price and nearly swallowed my gum. That's about 4 HO sound equipped locos worth of Amati railcars

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Price or not that is a really beautiful model sleeping car. I was surprised at the modeling of the buffering system. Hadn't realized it was so complicated.

The Scharnhorst model is coming along nicely. You've piqued my interest in German ships now.. Its an interesting departure from the usual plastic sacle productions.. Good work.

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

• 4 weeks later...

Scharnhorst issue 58

2hb2XSrl.png

Been a while. Was on vacation, went to some festivals, ate awesome foods and worked on a lot of things in 1:1 scale in my apartment.

With issue 58 we begin working on the second planking of the belt armor by sanding/chamfering and filling the edges of the deck plates so they form a harmonious line/curve with the belt armor planking below, then we add second planking on top, for now just in the bow section.

Scharnhorst issue 59

PRs7xjil.png

Time to shake things up a bit from all that planking. We construct the third main guns body. 

Now you may be wondering what happened to its range finders. Shortly after Scharnhorst started its service, it turned out that her bow section was way too low and the ship took on an inordinate amount of water. It was decided she should receive an elevated "Atlantic" bow instead. So they cut of the bow section off of the ship, slapped on the higher bow aaaaaand it turns out the foremost main guns rangefinders sight was blocked by the new bow. So they cut those off to be used elsewhere.

Hi Chap,

An I correct in the assumption that they stripped Guns from the "Kreigsmarine" to bolster the Atlantic Wall?

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Yeah, they're pretty nice. Though I do wish hachette wouldn't always choose the hottest days of the year to send them out. They did it with the first two turrets last years (and I needed the first one replaced 3 times till I got one that wasn't completely deformed) and did it again with the third one this year. Luckily it wasn't too squashed this time around and easily mended.

They're injection formed. The main problem was with issue 1 where they have these big cardboard sheets that they tape the issue and first parts to. So what happens is that these things sit in a delivery truck to the newsagents with a million other things atop crushing down on them while the sun beats down on that truck and raises the inner temperature to hotter-than-hell levels and at some point the sprue just gives up and suicides.

Oh, that makes sense why it's happening. They are not packing the parts adequately and they are being heated/crushed.

My highly deformed model came from a warehouse in Nevada. It was probably left in a space without climate control and it literally melted the plastic. It was an expensive, big Tamiya kit, too. They replaced mine with no problem.

• 1 month later...

Weather conditions and interference from some other projects had delayed work on the Scharnhorst for a while. I am happy to report that those are now dealt with and I'm fast catching up back to the original schedule.

dekyArdl.png

With issue 61 the remaining gaps in the second planking were closed up and the hull prepared for filling, sanding and priming.

VYr2J7tl.png

Issue 62: The hull after said filling, sanding and priming. This took.... a while. For climate reasons (too hot, too wet, too dark) and me being loathe to cover myself in a layer of horrible dust. Also my insistence on doing my sanding with hand tools and me never being happy with the result. Between the first picture and this one two months passed in total. I am now happy with the result.

pc05Ny4l.png

Issues 63-65: A build stand was built and the first half of deck planking was test fit on the deck. This is where you will be made painfully aware if you built a banana. So far things look ok.

N558Cizl.png

Issues 66-69: Bilge keels are built up from two layers of brass and fitted to the hull. This is why we need the build stand.

And that's where we are right now.

20 minutes ago, amateur said:

btw: why don't you upload your pics at MSW? Embedded pics makes reading your log  so much easier......

Jan

It's an editing/compatiblity thing. Using imgur as an image repository allows me to post the same update on a number of different sites at the same time without having to change things around individually on a per-site basis.