Scharnhorst by greyhawk - Hachette - 1:200 - parts work

nXpR768l.png

Scharnhorst 31

We're finishing up work on the middle deck structure for now by adding doors and air conditioning equipment to the walls. This is a step up from the Bismarck, where things were done the other way around. Doors were added first, then the walls were bent and the doors plinged off into oblivion.

We also get to make two rope drums.

Next time, we start planking the hull. No, really, we do.

Almost forgot it's Wednesday.

Scharnhorst issue 32

hxTMLXTl.png

As announced we finally begin planking the middle of the hull with the 32 first planking strips. At 3mm width these are the slimmest planking strips I've ever used, making them both the easiest and most tedious to work with. Easy because it's really simple to have them follow the lines of the ship without watering or prebending. Also chamfering becomes unneccessary. On the other hand, you have to put down a lot more strips than usual.

Tall ship builders might be wondering why the strips are not layed down in a pattern. With the strength of the MDF hull skeleton theres no need to pattern for more stability and as the hull is made of steel plates in the original anyway we actually don't want a pattern of planks to show.

in most cases the way the hull is shaped,  will determine the width of the planking used.  the turn of the bilge {chines} is quite drastic on this ship,  so a narrow plank would be better suited.   you wouldn't be able to use a wider plank....it would look terrible.   you have double bulkheads......that will strengthen the joints.   perhaps you could purchase planking to continue....seems a pity that you can only go so far and stop.  will they supply plating to lay over the planking?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 22.2.2018 at 5:58 PM, popeye the sailor said:

in most cases the way the hull is shaped,  will determine the width of the planking used.  the turn of the bilge {chines} is quite drastic on this ship,  so a narrow plank would be better suited.   you wouldn't be able to use a wider plank....it would look terrible.   you have double bulkheads......that will strengthen the joints.   perhaps you could purchase planking to continue....seems a pity that you can only go so far and stop.  will they supply plating to lay over the planking?

There will be a second layer of planking, then the whole thing will be practically doused in filler and sanded to perfection.

Scharnhorst Issue 33

jTWv7Stl.png

When it comes to planking there are two very different groups present in the ship model building community. There's the ones like me, that find an almost meditative quality in the work involved and then there's the second larger group of ship builders that absolutely DESPISE planking getting increasingly annoyed at doing the same task over and over again with hardly any progress seen, oh God, why won't it END?

To accomodate the second group, this kit has sporadic intermissions where we do something different to break up the planking work a bit. Here's the first one already.

With this issue we clad the area around the drive shafts with preformed ABS parts. Like the stern and bow, this area would be very very hard to build out of wood. We also extend the keel a bit with a wood strip we received a few issues ago.

Edited by greyhawk

I said the same thing Yves......I wouldn't wait for them  ;)    I'm thinking you have the basics down.......go for it!  :)   looks really good!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

there is no picture?!?!?!

NBC.jpg.2ffca114b764c68bec53c778b0a2cf6a.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

is it the Sovereign of the sea?   looks very well done  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Scharnhorst issue 35

D2q6I3zl.png

Finishing up planking of the middle section of the hull, we learn how to cut strips to size so they will fit in gaps. Afterwards all the nails are pulled and the planked section is given a once over with sandpaper to smooth it.

We've reached the 25% landmark in the build, so it's time to have another look at the whole thing put together so far.

vkru0CXl.png

looks great so far  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

vkru0CXl.png

well...yes,  that more of the hull is now covered ;)     gonna be sweet to see it completely covered!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: