Scharnhorst by greyhawk - Hachette - 1:200 - parts work

looks really nice  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

your getting there..........looks great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

the bow piece is likely 1 mm thick........will to bet the planking is about that thick too.   1.5 mm.........what a job that would be!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

the bow piece is likely 1 mm thick........will to bet the planking is about that thick too.   1.5 mm.........what a job that would be!  

I looked up at the last post from greyhawk and realized I could click on the pictures, them enlarge the image. In the enlarged view, it appears the planking sits a good 1 mm lower than the molded bow and stern pieces. Unless there is another, 2nd layer of planking, it's going to require a lot of filler and sanding.  

I'm sure he's got a game plan going......I saw what you are saying :unsure:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

looks really good  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

looks much better :)   you'll have to be careful not to put any scratch marks on the plastic areas.   the method of planking still bugs me though......I would thing they would want you to lock them together with butt shifts and such.  but,  double planking alone will produce a good strong hull.   gonna look nice when your done though ;) 

I'd still be the one to buy more planking and continue the job.....guess I'm not built for these part works models  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Yeah, planking without shift patterns is really feeling weird the first time you do it, but it's pretty standard in this type of model. With Amatis Titanic they even fill up the entire mid section in one go with a single big sheet of wood. I may do that one after the Scharnhorst, it's in the basement waiting for a free wharf.

1 hour ago, greyhawk said:

Yeah, planking without shift patterns is really feeling weird the first time you do it, but it's pretty standard in this type of model. With Amatis Titanic they even fill up the entire mid section in one go with a single big sheet of wood. I may do that one after the Scharnhorst, it's in the basement waiting for a free wharf.

Oh boy, I hope you do a build thread for the Amati Titanic here. Would love to follow that one.

Falling in love with the Scharnhorst.

She starts to have parts which look like a ship (besides the hull) ... when you've completed her, she'll weigh a ton with those brass plates fitted ... your display reinforced for it? I am thoroughly enjoying your build, eventhough it moves by the whims of the postal service ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

look'in darn sweet.........it is too bad that you don't have the entire kit in front of you though.   you'll definitely need to use primer though,  with all that PE ;) 

very nice work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

cough cough cough

Oh, don't mind me, just enjoying the build.

edit: After going to the manufacturer's website and viewing their model, I should note a couple of things to avoid if you want the model to be accurate.  Don't mount the forward boat davits (or the boats) or the bow and stern flag masts.  The davits were unshipped when the bow was modified to the Atlantic bow and the flag masts were removed after her shakedown cruise.

Edited by rtwpsom2

Wow- just sat here and read through your entire log so far. As a few other Americans mentioned, the idea of a subscription model is totally novel idea to me. It's unfortunate something like this most likely wouldn't work here since newsstands are mostly found in cities (if at all anymore) and there's not enough hobby shops around to probably carry them. It seems like it would be a great fit for new modelers so I'm surprised when you mention people giving up- I would think if you bust a railing it would be way easier to go grab another magazine and try again than have to call the supplier or buy a whole kit again (or give up). I'm curious about the magazine- is it a standard modelling magazine or is it only directions/info on that installment of the model? What is the price weekly? Looking forward to following along!

Chad

Completed Models:

Triton Cross Section

In Progress:

Brig Eagle

I looked up the Hachette website........it's probably possible that anyone can order and start their own partwork project.   from what I knew,  they didn't ship to the US.  odd that some of the back issues are out of stock.......do they refill as they deplete?  I also noticed that the only model they show for ships  is the pirates of the Caribbean,  and a U-boat.  I went here:

https://hachettepartworks.com/

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hachette offer different partworks in different countries. The Scharnhorst for example is German exclusive right now. U96 first was German exclusive, then was released in France and the UK. There's a lot of Hachette partworks in Italy that are never released in other countries. It's a big mess really. I don't think they deliver to the US at all.

Regarding the magazines they give background info relating to the topic at hand. For instance for Scharnhorst their are sections on her build and day-to-day operation, the missions she was involved in, but also sections on other important battleships at the time, maritime warfare in general and so on. For the Stuka and Tiger it was the same, but involving air and tank warfare obviously.