X-Y Attachment for Dremel

Ahoy David

Can I ask what Lathe and mill you purchased, whether they were just for model ship building and how you like them

I have owned alot of power tools but these were for my business. Would love to own a mill and a lathe but can not justify their expense right now.

I also think stepping up, although sometimes more expensive in the long run is cheaper overall

Hence my recent purchase

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Martin,

I'm not trying to hijack your thread but since we are all taking about various makes of mills, lathes, drill presses, etc., I'll go ahead and answer J.P.'s question directed to me.

"Can I ask what Lathe and mill you purchased, whether they were just for model ship building and how you like them?" JP

Bought a Sherline long bed lathe and, a mill with digital readouts on the x,y,and z axsis.  I bought them specifically for Shipbuilding.  My motivation was to tool up for two reasons. First to make components out of any material, metal or wood. The second reason is to become a better builder by making my own compoments be they dead eyes, blocks, masting parts, etc. I bought both machines as part of a package, e.g. the unit plus must have acessories. If I could only buy one tool at a time I would buy the mill first as it is far more useful. To each his own.

The Sherline lathe and mill are both available with digital readouts which are essential to machine to insane dimensions. Chuck just posted a thread about how he made 2.0mm blocks on his mill...very small stuff. Digital readouts enable the user to dimension parts to remarkable tolerances. When one starts milling micro stuff it is very difficult to detect the movement of tools or materials easily. That is why I bought Sherline.  I paid more but I got what I paid for, precision and quality.  Sherline tools are used by NASA, and Colleges and University in their Engineering departments as well as in mico. industries

I was very familar with full size equipment but was not knowledgeable regarding micro tools. So like everyone else on this thread I did research into what tools are available from who and at what cost.   I narrowed my search to Sherline and Proxxon. I like tools made in Germany and the USA. I eliminated any machine tool made in China because in micro tools one needs extreme precision and the absence of vibration.  For the price, Proxxon represents good value with a sufficient number of accessories. Their lathe is good as well but with only a short bed. As mentioned by others, the travel distance of the x and y axis cross slides is limited with the Proxxon compared to that of the Sherline mill. Builders on the forum use Proxxon equipment with great results. Others use Sherline, MicroMart or, other Chinese brands like those available at Harbor freight. Everyone choses their stuff based on price, availablitiy, afordability, quality, and service.

I remember when I started out with amature photography. I bought good stuff. I had a firend that had lesser stuff and his photos were always better than mine. He understood how to take a good photo and I did not. Its the same way with equipment. It takes time and knowledge to learn to use the stuff to advantage. I've got a long way to go but am not in a hurry. 

I must confess I love tools. I think we all do. Shipbuilding is very important to me so I spoil myself with tools when I have some extra money. We all do, right? I have lots of tools that I do not use often but they are there when I need them, that is if I remember where they are.

My two cents.

BFN.

Hopeful aka David

Edited by hopeful

I agree with Bob, this might be to big and then you will be right back at square one. I got the Proxxon x-y table. Seems to be what I wanted at the time, never really push it to see what I can't do ( I now have the Sherline CNC Mill and Lathe ) so I can't really say for sure, but I think that one might not be what you want. From what they are saying that would be something you would get for a bigger drill press, just think about the weight. But I think your on the right path, you might have to do a little mod work for the Dremel to sit tight but we all do mods to our machines to get them to do what we what.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

David -- I'm jealous that you have the Sherline, it's a good looking tool.  And I welcome your distinction between the mill and the lathe -- I started pining for a lathe long before the mill, and am only now just starting to understand what a mill would do (thanks to this conversation).

Wacko -- good point about modifications.  As I think I understand, the Vanda-lay contraption that JPett is waiting for would effectively enable you to use the Dremel with enough accuracay to make the x-y table (which would come with the Accu-mill package, I believe) worthwhile.  Since JPett has volunteered to be the front man on this, I think I'm going to wait to see his assessment -- and the wait will also give me time to think rationally (ahem) about how many more new tools I'll need for this particular build.  Though the Vanda-lay site does show the tool being used to fine tune a keel, which makes me WANT it on hand when I start my next build.

I think Chuck's description of making those blocks has us all licking our chops and saying, Wow, I could do that if only!!

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Ahoy Joe :D

How did you think the Proxxon Compound Table compared to the Sherline. Did the Proxxon at least perform up to a level that would allow you to mill small items?

Were there any major faults.

I also found this, which I have added to the list. Weight 13lbs

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2008&category=

Sent an email to Proxxon requesting additional measurements similar to the drawing link on this page

The Vanda-lay base is 6"x7" and I would like to try to center the table under the Dremel if possible. The mounting point for the press rods might prevent this.

My only concerns for the Vanda-lay so far are minor.

1) It holds the Rotary tool around the body and does not reinforce the head. The plastic Dremel tool body will have to deal with any lateral forces. The good news is I will be mostly cutting wood "mostly".

2) It looks like the Tool mounting bracket assembly is only attached at one point. This allows the tool to rotate but also allows it to slip. I  did not see any graduation marks here to confirm a 90-degree home position. This might be my first mod.

As I am not spending thousands these issues are far from deal breakers. I am only looking to put a toe in the milling pool, which is where I believe Martin is too.

post-108-0-26610400-1366383275.jpg

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Good luck Martin.

So many choices....always a problem.   Great comments by everyone on this thread.  Boils down to what do you want to do and, how much do you want to pay to do it!

BTW, the blocks made by Chuck can be made using the Proxxon mill, no problem. Think he uses a MicroMark mill.

BFN,

Hopeful aka David

Ahoy Mates :D

Could I ask how some of you who already own mills are securing your work

As was pointed out earlier in this thread “accessories” can be expensive

Thank you

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

JPett -- Speaking from ignorance, I've seen that the Proxxon comes with step blocks & clamp bars (the Micro Mark table lists these as add-ons at $33.95).  I can't quite tell from the Vanda lay pictures if the Accu Mill comes with these or not, though you do have to buy the Y table, since the mill originally comes only with the x.

I also noticed in the Vanda lay instructions that there's a warning that applies to your 2nd point up above:  they warn against tightening the clamp around the plastic Dremel housing too tightly.  That might suggest that the Dremel would still move ever so slightly in the clamp.

As you say, though, you & I are both just putting a toe (or even a toenail) in the milling pool, so slight inaccuracies might not matter at this point.

And thanks David for pointing out that those beautiful blocks can be made with a Proxxon or Micro Mark.  It's just that the Sherline is SO gorgeous.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Ahoy Martin :D

The step blocks are much cheap cheaper here (14.95)

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1813&category=

I also ordered the Drill Press Plus, not the Mill

The Mill would need to be disassembled to be used as a drill press. I also liked having the table as a separate part, as this  might open other uses

The Drill Press Plus does allow you to lock and adjust the vertical position with a separate set and stop screw. I am hoping this will allow me to mill at set hieghts. Manually adjusting it between passes

It is funny that your thread has come full circle for me, which "X-Y Attachment for Dremel" do I want to buy.

The Proxxon: Small size works, not thrilled about the 1 13/16" Y movement or the aluminum construction. But it does come with clamps and a reasonably priced Dividing Attachment is available http://www.proxxontools.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=66. Hopefully Joe will respond and add to this.

The Little Machine Shop 2008: 2.76" Y travel, Solid construction, which should create a stable platform from which to mill on. But is it some cheap Chinese POS. Will it fit on the base centered under the Dremel bit. ( I could live with slightly off center) Will the Proxxon Dividing Attachment mount to it. The difference in cost is minimal and not an issue. If I could not use the Proxxon Dividing Attachment that would be an issue. I have not been able to find one of those for under $250.00.

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

Hi JPett,

Wish I had noticed this thread before. I have the Vanda-lay AcraMill Plus to which I've added a drill press attachment. I don't actually use this so much any more as I've since added other tools to my collection. The Vanda-lay system holds the Dremel just fine.

I hated my old Dremel Drill press, which I actually got the version labeled and sold by Sears. It had so much flex that the holes I was drilling would often not end up straight. The Vanda-lay does still have some flex due to being mounted on a cheap wooden base. However, the table attaches directly to the Vanda-lay hardware and not directly to the base, so it doesn't affect the work. If you're going to attach your own x-y table, however, you'll probably want to spring for the aluminum base too, otherwise you may still have a flex problem.

I find the Vanda-lay equipment holds the Dremel quite well since there are two very solid aluminum clamps. It's easy to over tighten them on the Dremel, but it just takes a little practice.

Someone mentioned that there is only a single bolt that holds the Dremel clamps to the Drill press assembly. That can be true depending on the orientation of the Dremel (you can set it up as a kind of cut-off saw), but even with just the one bolt, it clamps quite tightly and I've never had a problem with slippage.

Of course, my experience is really more with the mill set up and not the drill press per se. But, it's all basically the same stuff just configured differently.

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

David. I am happy that you got the Sherline. I have the 4 axes CNC 8 Direction mill (2000 series ) and finally got the Mach 3 software to work with it. Now for doing the G code using BoBCAD\CAM software, another learning point. If someone has the money and the time, then yes by all means get the Sherline. Sherline has a great Tech support, I had a long talk with Fred from Sherline, and after talking with him it come down to he save me almost $800.00, well let me tell you I was one happy person. Now Sherline the Mill moving every which way I am like a little kid, haven't try anything with the Lathe yet or the 4th axes on the mill. But I know I am in for a newer learning experience. As far as the Proxxon x-y table, as long as you got it bolted in tight you can do what you want, the hand wheels turn good, you have to make sure you oil the lead screws and get something to cover them with. I got my Sherline cover, bought the item on Ebay wasn't the much for it. But anyone getting a Mill or a Lathe please understand the add ons will cost you in the long run. When buying a setup try and get a package deal, Sherline gives a 15% discount to you if you are retired you have to tell Kat that you are. I save money big time with them because of that and the fact that I got it without the computer but still got the driver box and power supply also the package that came with it. Then later I order another $700.00 of add ons, the money starts to add up so this is something to think about before you get into it. I think I got almost $5500.00 into it and the Mach 3 software is going to be another $150.00, I made sure it work before I bought it. The money will add up. Stop and think about all of this before you spend the money. You get what you pay for does make a lot of sense.

Wacko

Wacko,

Like the 4th axis (rotating column) with the Sherline  2000 series. I can retro a 4th axis plate to my Sherline 5410DRO.  For now I am usin the angled table. That is one thing I love about Sherline......more accessories than any other machine on earth, big or, small.  CNC...you are breaking my heart. Would love to do CNC but I am computer illiterate. If I were your next door neighbor I'd go for CNC as you could help me learn How!!! Whenever I want to have some fun I go to youtube and search Sherline CNC and the vids are incredible.

Re the Proxxon Mill. the front-back y axis at 1 13/16th is entirely adequate if working 1/64 scale vessels.  One needs the vise and hold down blocks for the Proxxon just like any other mill.

I have wasted more money trying to make things work that never do. My motto is buy the best once and move on even though it hurts the pocket book from time to time.

I am still a Proxxon and Sherline guy. Think they are the best options.

JP is right that mills are slow to drill as one needs to crank the up-down z axis. So what's the hurry.

Wacko.......the Proxxon comes with a measurement guide on the table to tack movements of the cross slides, is it accurate?

Martin, If you want the Shereline mill save hyour pennies and go for it. Any questions re Sherline ask away! Save 15% if retired, priceless!

Hopeful aka David

Edited by hopeful

DAvid,

Wacko.......the Proxxon comes with a measurement guide on the table to tack movements of the cross slides, is it accurate?

I never got to check it, sorry. I am looking at it now I have it in the corner of the bench under the drill press. The drill press I got from "Model Expo" The first time I use it when I got done drilling the hole that I need I went to take out the drill bit ( I had to first raise the machine ) when all of a sudden the drill head crash down on the model, the bolt and nut that hold it ion place was strip ( not by me ). Well it crash on the model ( yea I was saying a lot of words when that happen ) now the model is sitting in the box. It was then after that happen that I bought the Sherline setup. Was going to anyway, my hands have had a lot of surgery's on them ( 14 in all ) I need the CNC to do the work for me for the scratch build that I will finally be starting soon. If you live near me I am sure we could learn from one another. I am a retire IT Engineer and also when I first got out of the Services I work at the shipyard building Sub's, did it all, been there done that, also work the repair yards for a few years. After that I got back into computers and stay there until 2005 when I got hurt.

As far as is it accurate, I don't really think it is. Looks like you can move the ruler, just check it and yes the ruler moves. Guess you set it where you want, not a good idea, a lot of drilling and it would probably move without you notice it. I always measure from the bit to where I need it to be. As long as the item you are going to drill or try to mill is clamp in good you can measure that way. I never look at the x-y table to be accurate, not something like that. A real milling machine, now that you can be accurate with and be able to use the ruler on the machine and be on. Plus with it being CNC you have the readout on the computer screen. You have to make sure you got the mill setup and tune in to the best accurate setup you can, and always check each time you use the machine.

CNC is a big learning experience, I am like a little kid try different thing. First a square, then one inside the first and stuff like that. You can bet I am having fun. pretty soon I am going to try and see how I do with milling a  whole frame ( 11 pieces ) and then go from there before I order any wood for the first part of the build. Give me a few days and I will post some pictures of the Milling machine, I could also post some pictures of the Mach 3, I will see what I can do. In fact maybe I will start a tread about the Sherline CNC machine and do a review on it like Mark Taylor did for some of the machine he has, also I will put it in the right forum, instead of hacking this tread.

Edited by WackoWolf

Wacko

Martin,

Am encouraging Wacko to stop hyjacking your thread. Hahahahaha!

Yes, Wacko. Start a new thread on the Sherline CNC stuff and stop hyjacking Martin's thread. I guess that goes for me too, yikes! Sorry Martin.

BFN, Mates.

Hopeful aka David

Edited by hopeful

Ahoy Martin :D

I will be getting the Proxxon XY base

Reasons:

Feedback here seems to indicate that it will do the job.  

It is less then 2 lbs, which will make this set up an easy to use/put away hobby bench tool.

An affordable Dividing head is available.

I will post a review after I get my new toys (estimated delivery is 3 weeks from Vanda-lay)

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

An affordable Dividing head is available.

Whose dividing head? I did not see one on Proxxon web site.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Ahoy Bob

http://www.proxxontools.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=66

Maybe I should have said Dividing Attachment

Sorry

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

That does look good, thanks.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

J.P.

Wish you well with your new toys. Good Choices and great prices for the Proxxon equipment.  Are you interested in the vise and step clamps?

Looking forward to your review.

BFN,

Hopeful aka David

Edited by hopeful

Could I ask how some of you who already own mills are securing your work

As was pointed out earlier in this thread “accessories” can be expensive

Ahoy Hopeful :D

I was kind of waiting for a response to this post. The Proxxon XY table does come with clamps but I can see that addtional items will be needed to secure the material being worked. I am on the fence as to whether I will get the Dividing Attachment with the table or later on.  

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

JP.

The two (2) most common methods are a vise and step clamps. Vises and steps are made to fit the ross slides one purchases, e.g. Proxxon vise and step clamps are made specifically for the Proxxon cross slides. Both should be available from the eplace you got your other Proxxon items.

Hopeful aka David

Ahoy Hopeful

I see on Blue Ensign's log he uses what looks like the Proxxon vise

Pic is from Blues log

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/332-hms-pegasus-by-blue-ensign-victory-models-enhancing-the-kit-a-build-log-of-sorts/?p=39732

post-108-0-67293300-1366480294_thumb.jpg

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

Ahoy Hopeful

I see on Blue Ensign's log he uses what looks like the Proxxon vise

Pic is from Blues log

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/332-hms-pegasus-by-blue-ensign-victory-models-enhancing-the-kit-a-build-log-of-sorts/?p=39732

Simple and reliable vice.

Best regards,

Garward

Is under construction Montanes

Ready models Golden Star Corsair San Francisco II

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron (second version)

Hi Garwood,

Yes, you are correct.

Thanks for looking in on Martin's thread. I enjoy your build logs very much. Have learned much from you regarding machine work. You and Danny have a great influence on me. Am just a humble newby to this fine craft.

Wish you well,

Hopeful aka David

Thanks for a wish, David! All of us once were beginners, over time it passes  :) .

Best regards,

Garward

This is my setup.

post-513-0-01833800-1366492606_thumb.jpg

The board on top is fastened with T-nuts. It allows me to screw the part down or to screw a clamp board anywhere I want instead of just the T-slots.  Also if I’m drilling a series of holes or making a slot all the way through I don’t have to worry about damaging the cross slide.

The other picture shows the mounting to the Dremel stand.  The holes in the Proxxon do not line up with the stand base.

post-513-0-87977600-1366492627_thumb.jpg

Bob

Ahoy Bob

Thanks

The board is a great idea

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

This is my setup.

attachicon.gifIMG_0358.JPG

The board on top is fastened with T-nuts. It allows me to screw the part down or to screw a clamp board anywhere I want instead of just the T-slots.  Also if I’m drilling a series of holes or making a slot all the way through I don’t have to worry about damaging the cross slide.

The other picture shows the mounting to the Dremel stand.  The holes in the Proxxon do not line up with the stand base.

attachicon.gifIMG_0355.JPG

Bob

Good setup, here only for a table is better not to use wood.

Best regards,

Garward

I'm late to this party, and what I don't know about using a milling machine would run to a small book.

However, I am thrilled to bits with my new little Proxxon MF70 Miller and for most purposes it has made my wobbly old drill stand redundant. I did buy the separate beautifully engineered vice to fit on the table as can be seen in the photo posted by JP, and I have decided to get the dividing head also.

Cheers,

B.E.