Jump to content

Late 1700 French Frigate Anchor Hawse Hole Question

Recommended Posts

On French ships (frigates in particular), what was used to cover the anchor hawse hole when not in use?  By that I mean, the cable was not attached to the anchor and the anchor stowed.  I know the English used a plug and on some ships a "hatch" inside the hull.  But what did the French use?  I'm not seeing this covered in any of the books I have but I might have missed it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites



In the French navy , and whatever the ship (vessel or frigates), the hawse is closed by a hawse-plug which is a plug of poplar wood.

There is  two models: one that completely obstructs the hawse, it has a conical shape and it's used at sea. The other is almost similar but it is cut along its length leaving a channel to pass the cable anchor. It's use when the ship is anchored.

These plugs are immobilized by four ring-bolds implanted around the hawse.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...