IJN Ise 1944 by RGL - FINISHED - Fujimi - 1/350 - PLASTIC

3 hours ago, RGL said:

Its soo dry here the CA will not go off which is really becoming problematic as the thing with PE is getting a rapid set as it's all so small it's hard to hold for any extended period.

Personally I don't like the stuff much, but you could use a CA Kicker to make it go off immediately. Dampening the area before applying it also works, but you may get some whitening on the CA.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

I'll get there Danny. Pat, the Ise only had a short period of time out of drydock when the whole idea was seen as stupid and the catapults were removed and it became a cargo ship then an AA platform. A stationary AA platform that got the hell bombed out of it. 

Ergo, the period of time that it had catapults it would have precluded a lot of weathering. 

Greg

Hi Greg, would the trick of adding baking soda or talc to the thin CA work?  I have seen card modellers use this technique to get a real tough bond.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

The walls directly beside the stack house molded pipes (refuelling?), so I stripped them back and added some firefighting equipment. I have not glued the pipes yet as I will only place them after painting. The ring flues let them slide in and out. 

Its not not perfect but it gives it some depth. 

IMG_4839.JPG

IMG_4847.JPG

Greg

Hi Greg, those could have been awning stanchions? or even damage control shoring also.

Coming along well, more great detail on this one.  You make me feel positively like a snail with my build ;) :) 

cheers

Pat

Ok, well that nails them then :)

cheers

Pat

seriously nice work Greg ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

So, not much today, took the kids to school, then had a car crash when some kid decided he did not have to give way at an intersection. Nonetheless, no injury, and back to modelling. 

For some reason, amidships there was a small section which has to be added on and it does not sit well. Gap filled, and the degaussing cable repairs with brass. The molded plastic is actually pretty good and does not need replacement tho the Flyhawk does provide it. 

I have replaced the ringols on some portholes where it is not noticeable in the molded plastic. 

Tomorrow I have to add some card along the entire gunnels of the ship to I can drill holes for individual stanchions. 

IMG_4872.JPG

IMG_4873.JPG

IMG_4874.JPG

Greg

Because the edges of the deck are so narrow, kit and aftermarket expects you to drop in PE railings. 

With the wooden stick on deck, there is even less room. You has see from these colourised postacards of a Fuso class, the edge is quite substantial and have individual stanchions. 

As such I've placed some plastic strip around the edges where the wooden deck will drop in. The idea is to fill the gaps with putty, then pre drill all the stanchion holes. Well, that's the idea. 

You can see there is also two brass strips amidships which may or may not drill requiring a PE railing. 

IMG_4877.JPG

IMG_4878.JPG

IMG_4876.JPG

IMG_4875.JPG

Greg

Greg, it was a real pain in the rear, but I managed to drill holes in the photo etch by chucking my drill bit in my rotary tool and using the tool on it's very lowest speed setting. It requires very slight pressure to keep from snapping the bit and keeping it from any lateral movement that will snap it, but it worked for drilling some holes in PE. Can't get a lot of holes drilled without breaking a bit here and there, but it can be done that way and more successfully than with my pin vise as while trying to drill with it, end up snapping my bit with unintended lateral movement. 

I'm kind of meandering with this build. The flight deck has some bonus dimples innit which I've rectified, and you can see the 'railings' really aren't and will be an aftermarket instillation. 

Underneath there is the the beginning of the latticework which is actually quite simple so far. 

IMG_4897.JPG

IMG_4898.JPG

IMG_4899.JPG

Greg

To small on kindle for me to be able to read it, must be getting real old. Got it for ten quid at amazon.co.uk, but you're right a lot of after market information for both type of ships. The service history is interesting on the Ise as she's been refitted and "reshaped"

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Nice progress greg, another fine example of detailing.

cheers

Pat

Small update, this piece is the rocket launcher platform that sits at the stern. Apparently they were fairly inaccurate and bloody dangerous to use, so you had to run and hide in the rooms behind them. 

I've value added a bit and managed to break my last drill bit doing up the stanchion holes. 

IMG_4901.JPG

Greg

Next, back to the rear deck. There are 12 turntables, requiring me to buy 2 sets of Alliance model works railing sets. I've started on the railings and will probably use a hole punch to make up the last two turntables. Looks so much better than the kit "apathy", apparently aircraft could only fly off via the catapult anyway and the only way this would work is to use the traditional railing system. 

The deck itself was concrete, used as a counterweight as the rear two turrets were removed. Photos and video of the Ise show the blocks of cracked concrete and the railings. About a day's work to go on this then I'll flip it and continue with the underside. 

IMG_4900.JPG

Greg

You should have been a surgeon Greg - steady hands :)

cheers

Pat

The Japanese ships had these huge Pagoda towers. Given they are so intricate I am going to try and construct it so it pulls apart for ease of painting and add the multitude of ladders afterwards. 

Im still awaiting drill bits so I can't progress the rear of the bus. 

So far, that's the first two stories of 9. 

IMG_4941.JPG

IMG_4942.JPG

IMG_4946.JPG

IMG_4947.JPG

Greg