On 3/28/2018 at 4:56 AM, John Allen said:

or a link to Hooters Girls

That's OK John I would rather be going to Hooters than fixing some old central heating anyway. Oh I forgot I don't even have central heat in my 120 year old home anyway!

It is true that we have seen so many changes in digital storage and media in our lives and there is no reason to believe it will somehow stop in the coming years. Some of it has been good I suppose giving people access to more information without having to physically travel to the source of the information, and some of it not so good in that it was archived in a manner that makes it hard to retrieve today. But then that has almost always been the case. Either the information was not archived in a way that made it accessible to the common person or anyone for that matter, or it was not considered important at the time and no records exist at all today when at last someone feels it is important after all. We need to look no further than our quest for information on ships to see an example.

Lou

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

The NRG has archived our back issues of the Nautical Research Journal on CD discs available for purchase.  We have done this since about 2002 when we did a 2 CD set for the NRG years 1-40.  We have followed up with 2 additional CD's covering the next 10 years 41-50 and the years 51-60.  Due to changing technology we now have had to make this information available on USB flash drives because so many computers do not have CD/DVD drives anymore.

When the next digital revolution makes flash drives obsolete we must be sure to transfer the back issue data to the "new" media in a timely manner - but as long as it's done in a timely manner after the "new" system is introduced there should be no problem.. It's when the organization says "there's plenty of time to do this" and puts it off until it is too late that there are issues.  I got stuck trying to archive old 1" reel to reel video tapes onto VHS - it never happened and when I retired there were still reels of old fire investigation recordings sitting on a shelf.  Open cases require the evidence to be kept virtually forever - but it's a catch 22 when there is no way to retrieve it.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Lou,

Example your Quest for the Providence which seemed labor intensive.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Jhearl

I stand corrected have some old programs CDS The hornet my favorite Amos and Andy etc.

Like Kurt stated in a few years no telling what kind of medium will have to purchase to play or listen to on  your library's.

John Allen

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

18 minutes ago, John Allen said:

Example your Quest for the Providence which seemed labor intensive.

On this research I have had it go both ways. I have been able to do a fair amount without leaving my chair. A good thing as I live within blocks of  where they park an aircraft carrier now and then here on the west coast and almost all of the information that is to be had is on the other coast!

Much of the information is not obtainable only because it was never considered to be all that important when it was readily available and never archived to begin with. So I can not blame the digital age for that. I have also run into the same issue with potential information dating from work by others in the late 20s and early 30s. Very hard to obtain information when even the researcher considered it unimportant so it either has not been archived and is just a bunch of boxes of papers sitting on a shelf, or there is no one available to retrieve the information and it would take a personal visit to pick and choose. My best results so far have been through digital means and consist of references to the above mentioned prior research or copies of paintings or models and such.

If I was able to take the time away from my "Normal?" life and physically go back east and dig for myself and follow leads that I would surly discover then it is possible that the amount of non digital information Vs. digitally obtained content would change.

Another source that has not been mentioned is micro film and micro fish. This was possibly the first attempt at storing large amounts of information in a readily accessible and searchable format, and even though I still have readers that can use this format, (Somewhere) I have not found anyone offering access to these types of files or copies of them outside of some local documents in a special room on my local library.  

Lou 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Rodger

My only experience with Mystic was unfortunately to have my request totally ignored, Not even a "Sorry we don't provide that information unless you are here."

Lou 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Lou,

I have found local libraries accommodating if you get to the right person. They are there just hard sometimes to qualify.

Small libraries tend to go the extra mile in smaller towns find a bored librarian or assistant, approach them like its a cold case file or unsolved mystery using your former experience. On coastal town libraries unknown shipwreck loss of life that kind of thing.

Larger libraries have that assistant or sometimes several working on a degree that love to help, if you can get past the Major Domo:default_wallbash:. Have kept up with your digging and you may have gone this route. They used to copy and e-mail (at one time free) unless a large file, a pre-addressed priority mailer will work for them. Shame your not on the east coast. I had always loved searching microfiche. As pointed out earlier there digitizing those files in larger libraries.

The best alternative take leave go on a scavenger hunt find the little library with the darkest hole and files under 100yrs of dust that's where you will get info.

Apologize ahead of time, you probably have used all above suggestions at the start of your investigation. Not talking down just a greenhorn trying to be helpful.:cheers:

Edited by John Allen
spelling

John Allen

On deck

Finished

No need to apologize John.

Your input is just as useful as any other source. We all have had that DUH moment when someone points out the obvious, myself more than I care to admit.

My research on the Providence has in reality taken very little time as such matters go and has been superficial at best. My last research on a vessel took over five years before I was able to at last locate the hull lines that would be needed to build the model. They were located in San Francisco of all places. That is what happens when one wants to build something as obscure as I seem to choose. That is also why I have posted here about my proposed Providence build. Each time I have brought it up someone on the forum has added some insight and pointed me in a direction that I was not aware of or didn't know how to get to. In this research much has been just elininating some things that would be wrong rather than discovering some long lost bit of information that was unknown yesterday. There is very little available no matter how hard you look!

As for the local libraries, I have used ours a number of times over the years. I did research on two houses I own, one built in 1905 that I lived in for 14 years and my present home built in 1898. I also did some research on my older adopted grandson's family on his mother's side. His Great Great Grandfather was a tribal chief and his Great Grandmother was a notable person within the tribe as well and was one of the first tribal members to get a college degree among other achievements. There is a special section in the library that houses this kind of information and like you say the person who runs it is very knowledgeable in doing research within the information available on site. 

So rest assured I take information and suggestions from any source. It is then up to me to weigh the information and include, discard or something in between with what I get. 

Lou      

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey