He looks a little cool! Is his posture a little round-shouldered for a soldier? Thanks for posting this simulation in progress. It's interesting to see.

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

His 'about turn' is not very military like.

Must be a volunteer.... like me!

but seriously... very life like!!

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

• 2 weeks later...

Now that marine looks good. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Magnus I'd leave his posture and stance as is after all he was probably a shop keeper last year!!!!

About ten years ago I was designing aircraft for MS Combat Flight Simulator WWII edition.  We used FSDS (Flight Simulator Design Studio) or Gmax.    Doing animations was a brand new thing then, I can tell you what you have achieved is a testament to your skills, but also a testament to the designers of the CAD program you are using.   Another few years and we won't be able to tel CGI from real life.  And we my finally get a sea battle game for tall ships as good as the flight sims.

I'll keep watching in awe.

Tom

Edited by twintrow

Tom,

Much of the current crop of movies is CGI.  There are some you can't tell who's real and who's not.

Magnus,

Question.... when he does the about face... I'm not sure which though is correct for the time period. The modern about face or the "marching step" about face..... 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

mtaylor, twintrow, thanks for recognizing the animation. Actually I am using three programs (Cinema 4D, Marvelous Designer and DAZ Studio) and quite some effort goes into mastering the workflow between them. Can be quite painful if a problem in step 20 brings you back to step 3 after a day of work ...

As far as the about face is concerned ... I have no clue if it is authentic. I think it looks convincing somehow ... motion capture data is quite hard to get. There are some sources in the web but most of it is useless. Most mocap data has the problem of "sliding feet". I am composing the movement from little libraries in DAZ studio, that I adapt and re-mix to my needs. This is the best I was able to get out of it. More to follow ...

I've been there with the 1 step forward and a whole bunch backwards.   The animation is quite good.  I was just curious about the "about face" but I wouldn't worry about it. 

There's a movie out on CD/DVD called "The Partriot" which used a lot of CGI in the battle scenes.  Some versions have a "how we made the movie" set of short vids with it.  Fascinating stuff.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

A very short test. Showing the first real inclusion of an animated character in the main scenery. From a distance you see the boatswain walking in front of the boats. Also introducing a fantastic plugin in cinema 4D: "Infinite Ocean". It expands the ocean view to the horizon with minimal impact on resources due to synchronization to the camera. The right thing just in time as all my animated characters are horrible resource eaters...

http://youtu.be/DWIUACprZRU

Edited by Magnus

Wow.. that was impressive.  I had to replay it several times.  It's that good.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Spectacular work, Magnus.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 months later...

Magnus,

The video marked "private" and requires a password. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Working like a charm... wonderful render.  I'm impressed by how lifelike it is.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 3 weeks later...

Here comes a setting that has the hull. Set in an infinite ocean. "Infinite Ocean" is also the name of a specific plugin for cinema 4D. It creates the ocean carpet with the view to the distant horizon. All with minimal resource consumption.

I am currently working on a setting with some of my animated crew members.