Looking really fantastic, Magnus.   That ship is almost alive.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I like the last video. It is very informative. It look like to be as on french ship. The height of the longboat probably means that they were not sitting as we normally do on smaller boat. I thing they were standing up and resting on  like on the second picture.

post-184-0-07034800-1443817403.jpg

post-184-0-76298400-1443818422_thumb.jpg

I like the last video. It is very informative. It look like to be as on french ship. The height of the longboat probably means that they were not sitting as we normally do on smaller boat. I thing they were standing up and resting on  like on the second picture.

Never thought about it. All the boats are 1:1 depictions of the drawings in the book "Anatomy of the ship PANDORA" by McKay & Coleman. It was my primary source as it is most likely for all other 3D and "analog" :)  "Pandora projects". The effort to built these boats was higher than building the hull of Pandora itself. Especially the planks took an endless time ...

• 1 month later...

Beautifully rendered, Magnus. You'll hate me for pointing this out, but there were actually two reef points per cloth on topsails as well as the courses! We'll allow for artistic license here, won't we?

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Beautifully rendered, Magnus. You'll hate me for pointing this out, but there were actually two reef points per cloth on topsails as well as the courses! We'll allow for artistic license here, won't we?

Ahh! Where? What?  :o ... I took this picture as a kind of reference ... where are these two reefe points missing?

20151206_1370102072_sailreference.jpg

Perhaps this here?

ship7.jpg

Well ... there is a trade-off between completeness which means total modelling-madness and a convincing overall look ... would say my whole rigging is 50% complete anyway ...

Meanwhile some "study" on better sail behaviour here ... want to create big renders over christmas ...

Edited by Magnus

Here is a copy of an illustration from Steel of 1794, showing two reef points in every cloth. However, artistic license (and polys) may take precedence!

post-635-0-88820000-1449422573_thumb.jpg

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

• 4 weeks later...

The double reef points ... here they are. Did revisit the fore topsail and created it according to the picture above.. This source tells me about three rows of reefpoints while Lees' "masting and rigging of english ships of war" .. (p139) says four of them. His book is a bible ...

20160102_1741215955_reefpoints.jpg

Edited by Magnus

• 4 months later...

brilliant work Magnus !!!!

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Now that is incredible.  I've watched it a couple of times and it looks as real as can be.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I agree with Robin about dates and number of reef bands. The animation is terrific, Magnus!

As far as the reef-bands are concerned sources are inconsistent. Take these two:

Here with three reef-bands:

(current fore topsail)

post-635-0-88820000-1449422573.jpg

And here from "James Lee/the masting and rigging of english ships of war" page 139 with four:

(current main topsail)

20160510_1794236670_foremaintopsailfores

Edited by Magnus

Not qwite certain what you are saying about the reef bands in lees,for inst he notes on pages 138/139 the evaluation of fore and main topsails in eight seprat drawings .of note 1710/1788/and then 1788/1802 4. Also a study of some of the best marine painting contepore will concern .one other point and please for give if it reads as being a pain in the but, your fore and main and I faint fluke back to see as on tablet and will lose this, you have sail on top of yard as on a ship with a jackline reefing which did not come infill much later mid 1850/or so. I do trust that this is not coming over as a pooface digit it just I am always trying to get thing in the time fram that they were and a life time is not long enofe i well know how difficult and time consuming it can be the evolution of the age of sail is so vast in scope your work in bringing some life and movement is astonishing robin

The lee source i did take is the one from 1788/1802 as Bounty was as of 1789 and then Pandora did hunt for the mutineers not much later. With the  reefed sails sitting on top of the yards I am not shure ... I might be wrong ... I just considered it to look better ...

I suspect the number of reef bands differed depending on the depth of the topsail: fewer in smaller ships, more in larger ones. The upper illustration (unattributed) is from Volume IV, The Fully Framed Model by D. Antscherl, adapted from Steel's Rigging and Seamanship. The latter showed the topsail for a 20-gun ship. The TFFM illustration is for a 14- or 16-gun ship. For what size ship is Lees' illustration? I also notice that the reinforcements are different in the examples illustrated - Lees omits the top lining.

• 1 month later...

Danke, Danke MaGnus,My wife just gave me this model for fathers day, your log will be most helpful, I live in Canada but if I was back in Germany I would say "ein beer und prost", many thanks Edwin

Thank you. Did upload a longer version and more to come.