IJN Mikasa by CDW - Wave Models - 1:200 scale - PLASTIC

Spent some time, but it doesn't look like much done today. The front bridge requires cutting, filing, and sanding before adding photo etch details to build it. The entire deck gets replaced. Structural details, gussets, portholes and doors have to be added. Next will be a host of other bits and pieces including guns, before the bridge is done. This will take a few days before taking on the rear bridge which is nearly a clone of the front bridge. A little difference, but not a lot.

DSCN1653.JPG

DSCN1655.JPG

DSCN1656.JPG

DSCN1657.JPG

Very sharp - nice pin point precision.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

coming along splendidly CDW...looks very clean and neat  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

coming along splendidly CDW...looks very clean and neat  :) 

Thanks Popeye.

In the particular paint scheme I am doing, I don't think the ship would have ever seen any combat yet, and not too much time at sea, either. So I don't intend to add much in the way of severe weathering or battle damage. 

I want to begin looking for some 1:200 sailors, maybe from Shapeways? Want to give it a somewhat busy look by adding some action figures. Maybe could add some guys shoveling coal into a few of those "coal chute covers" on deck. Gonna look to see what I can find that's close to being period correct. 

CDW, N-scale Model Railroad is 1:160 , might be close enough, if not, Z-scale is 1:220. You might find a set with Railroader workers.

Come to think of it, certain areas on the deck of the ship, and it's probably safe to say around all the coal chutes, there would be coal dust/staining where the frequent resupply of coal would have taken place; regardless of how much combat the ship had been in. So I need to dirty up those areas a bit before everything is all said and done. I'll have to check the model railroad section at the hobby shop for some black ballast that might be a reasonable representation for coal in this scale. 

47 minutes ago, CDW said:

there would be coal dust/staining where the frequent resupply of coal would have taken place;

You still may want to be a little careful even there CDW.

The Japanese were, (and are) noted for keeping very clean ships. As you intend to add people actually working at loading coal you could probably get away with it. But as soon as coaling was done I am almost certain that here would be crewmen with high pressure steam hoses and brooms cleaning everything in sight! Holy stoning the decks was also still quite common on these ships and would eliminate much of the staining that would otherwise possibly be present.

Super great Looking build!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

No worries...my idea of weathering and stain is minimal at best. Remember, I worked as the operations chief for a major general and I know first hand the expectations of maintaining a high standard. Been there, done that, and got the tee shirt. Not on a ship, but nevertheless under a general officer. If that gentleman saw anything out of sorts, there was hell to pay...guaranteed.

I've been working off and on on this thing all day long, but it's one of those days where it seems like nothing much got done. Under this next level of superstructure and decks, there are details that were painted and added, but you can't see those with my pictures.

Just wanted to get some dry fit photos to see where we're headed with this model. Before this next level of decks are permanently added, a number of significant details must be added. Guns in particular. If I am to add any sailors to the gun deck, I need to wait for my figures to be delivered before adding the next deck level. Once added, it would be much more difficult to put any in sailors place there. 

DSCN1691.JPG

DSCN1692edit.jpg

DSCN1693edit.jpg

DSCN1694edit.jpg

DSCN1695edit.jpg

the paint work is awesome.........she's a fine looking model so far  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I think it's time for a sanity check.

Just spent close to 2 hours building this little 3" gun. There are a total of 16 of them to build. Sheesh. 😏

Besides that, I got some more painting and a little gluing of parts together today. Maybe I can move a little faster with the 3" guns now that I know the proper order of assembly. Pontos can be rather terrible at giving one a clue as to sequence/order of construction. I guess they figure, if you are a good enough modeler to tackle their update sets, you're good enough to figure out the best build sequence for your self. 

DSCN1699edit.jpg

DSCN1700edit.jpg

51 minutes ago, CDW said:

I didn't even see those 'glue strings' until I saw my own pictures.

Micro spiders trying to mess up your fine work. Only 15 more to go so you should be done in about a week?:blink:

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

My speed picked up a bit on these last two guns...got two done in an hour. But I doubt I'll get much faster than that. This leaves me with a solid six or seven hours to do the remainder of the 3" guns. And it says nothing of how long it will take to do the dozen or so remaining 47mm guns that need to be built. 

Stay tuned for more guns...🤐

DSCN1703edit.jpg