HMS Diana By Barbossa - Caldercraft - Scale 1:64 - The 1794 Attempt

Hello,

One of the last updates regarding the hull fittings : the two lids under the stern gallery. I used other hinges than the ones supplied in the kit. The form and shape seemed a bit more suitable to me (coming from my old San Felipe Mantua kit - pre MSW-period)

post-412-0-42884600-1386948584_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-05845600-1386948587_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-47854200-1386948588_thumb.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

"The original always beats the copy"

(supportive statement)

Thank you for visiting my log Saloir, much appreciated

Hi BE,

In a way of speaking it is your Pegasus buildlog that is a motivator for me trying to improve myself, and I'm sure many MSW -members share that opinion.

And just calling it a buildlog is doing you injustice as to me it is more a tutorial entitled" How do I get the most out of a kit".

So I try to follow your fine example.

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Christian she is looking sweeeeeeeeet.

That's a really nice job you've done there.

Be Good

mobsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Many thanks Mobsie & Sjors for the comments and all the likes during this build, this was all very supportive. I really appreciate.

Next move is related to the lifeboats and the study of the masting & rigging.

However, at the third page of this log there's a totally "off topic pic" but our new home project will require far more attention the next months to come so updates related to my Diana are to be expected but it just might take a little while.

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

We'll still be here when your ready mate.

Good Luck

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi Christian

She is looking great, I see you had the same problem as I did, and had to cut the slots for the gammonings after the grating had been made. I have just returned from holiday a great cruise on the Queen Mary 2,  and Christmas is just ahead so my progress will also be slow, I am going to add the dead-eyes and chains next.

Ray

Current build A set of HMS Diana`s boats @ 1/48

HMS Royal Marine a Military class Trawler

Completed  HMS Diana

Completed build The Lady Nelson

Completed Build HMS Pegasus

• 3 months later...

Klaas,

I will answer instead of Christian......

It's correct that at some pictures you see only a question mark.

When they change discs there are pictures missing.

Not only with Christian but a lot of others has the same.

When Christian has still the pictures he can re-post them.

I hope you don't mind Christian that I answer Klaas ?

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hallo Klaas,

I'm afraid, you had to dig rather deep to come across my log as it's been a while since my last update.

It is a worn out cliché but life is getting a bit in the way as Mrs and Mr Barbossa's bulding project is reaching it's final stage.

As a consequence : some painting work, installation of a kitchen and of course a move is laying ahead of us, therefore very little time for shipbuilding and when it occurs...well,  for the time being I'm struggling a bit with the lifeboats. It is not really my cup of tea but it's just another of those essential details and this project does not increase the size of the whole ship as it is and I wish to avoid any accident while moving from our old house to our new build.

Regarding the pics : lately,  I noticed other members experienced the same. The more is : I visited my own log a just few weeks ago and then everything seemed OK. Strange....

However : Congrats with your Aggy : this is really huge and your doing a fantastic job !

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Hello Barbossa. Nice to see you, and your Diana is an awesome project. It's coming out real clean and nice, although some of the latest photos are missing.

I saw a photo at the beginning of your Vasa. If you check my build log, you will see something very familiar. :)

How did you made the flags "wavy"? Mine look very stiff. :(  I have not been able to fully finish my ship because of the flags. That's the only thing left.!

Well...flags and the base. :huh:

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Hi Ulises,

I'll try to resolve the photoproblem this week-end

Related to your flags question, well here's the story : I used hairspray. It was very easy to find as my mother was a hairdresser.

So I wrapped the flags in the most suited form and sprinkled them. So it's better to procede outside and yes, it was a bit "messy" on my fingers. Anyway my Vasa flags -especially the one on the stern- kept this "windblowing" shape ever since.

Hope this helps you 

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Hello dear Christian,

Your model is really awesome, the quality and neatness of your work makes a great impression. My admiration and compliments to your skills.

Keep up this wonderful work and a lot of joy during the build

Best regards

Doris

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

• 4 weeks later...

Happy birthday my friend. Many, many, many more.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Hi Mort,

Many thanks. I hope to resume shipbuilding activities as soon as possible, but life is getting a bit in the way, lately.

But there's (always) a positive aspect : Soon I'll post in the "general discussion-area" a pic of the room specially dedicated to shipbuilding. : 10 square meters and and not many tools yet, but I'll have to start somewhere.

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Here's an attempt to recover some missing pics :

www.tumblr.com/blog/diana1794

For the rest : very little progress, or dare I say no progress at all. But I have great expectations for the future. I've made my mind up. In our fututre home, the attic wil suit just fine : plenty of space ; some 20 square meters !!

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Hello Anja,

hope this helps : when you activate the link, somewhere in the right corner inside the tumblr-screen, there's a search option.

There you can fill in the following term : diana1794.

By doing so, you'll (hopefully) have access to the pics

Thanks for showing interest.

About the house : everyone who moves knows the feeling, I guess.

What huge amounts of useless stuff we all gather in our cellars and atticks ! It's just  horrible :D :D

Kind regards to you both (You & Sjors of course)

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

It's been a while. So here's lifeboat n°1 ( the smallest one - 18ft. cutter ).

I went for the clinckerplank-effect, which succeeded-more or less. The strips are styrene-made, due to the annoying behaviour of  planks lifting upwards in the bow section, I've found it quite impossible to cut walnut strips following a suitable curve.

Aside from the floor elements & thwarts, there's little wood involved. The hull is made out of cast resin and supplied together with interesting parts such as oars, hooks,...in a Caldercraft mini kit.

I know : this is cheating, for which I pledge guilty, Your Honour. 

Another point : the "gratings" are as fake as can be : just paper strips over a black cartridge paper and I preferred external rowlocks rather than cutting & filing the hull

But after all, I'm quite satisfied with the end result

One done, 3 more to go

post-412-0-43477000-1442575691_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-80876900-1442575708_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-71161900-1442575718_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-73166100-1442575730_thumb.jpg

post-412-0-87719400-1442575751_thumb.jpg

Kind regards

Christian

(supportive statement)

Hey Christian. So good to see you back. Your work has been always an inspiration for me. Please keep with the updates. :)

Ulises

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

I see no cheating, only very nice work.   We use the materials and tools that work for us as individuals.   Lovely looking long boat, Christian.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome back my friend.  You were missed.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society