Returning to shipbuilding..

Hello fellow modelers,

I'm Michael Gray,  born in Florida, retired now and living in Germany.  After several years of scratch building model cars in brass,  I think it's time to return to historical sailing vessels in wood.

My fleet could use a new commissioning.  The Occre Dos Amigos is in the works, nice ship my opinion.  The wood doesn't make it though, but that's been taken care of already.

So I'm slowly getting my hands and fingers up to the task, the hull has it's 1st planking, the deck is finished.  But I'm stumped at how to apply the 2nd planks to the bow.  I miscalculated how to do it,  and am not sure if butted in is the way to go or not.  It's not too late,  just this step caused me to put the model aside, 5 years ago!

But more of this later on, with pics of course.

There are lots of very fine models here, breathtaking.  You guys are great, Respect!

I'll be working on my learning curve, and have a lot of looking around to do.  What a wonderful pastime.

Many thanks,

Michael

Current fleet, plastic;  Cutty Sark, Revell 1975,  Gorch Fock, Heller 1986,  Royal Louis, Heller 1988,  Amerigo Vespucci, Heller 1990

To do;  Preussen and Passat, Heller

Wooden ships;  Karl and Marie, 1:50 Krick, 1991, Le Hussard (extremely bashed),  AL, scratch design, 2009

On the bench and struggling,  Dos Amigos, Occre

Thank you gentlemen.  I'm really thrilled with the fine builds and the photography shown and looking very much forward to getting the smell of worked wood in the hobby room again.

Here an offer of my last ship completion, actually a scratch rendition of AL's Le Hussard from the 70's.  I won an auction on Ebay,  only the hull had the 1st planking finished.  It was a catastrophe, warped and ugly.  So this build has really nothing to do with the kit.  It's longer, higher and wider, none of the kits' features were applied, so I'm calling it a scratch endeavor.

29927258vs.jpg

The build was not documented, this was before my digital days.  I plan on making a documentation of the Dos Amigos, a soon as I can figure out how to proceed with the bow planking.

I'll go again now to the gallery and have a look around.

Michael

Current fleet, plastic;  Cutty Sark, Revell 1975,  Gorch Fock, Heller 1986,  Royal Louis, Heller 1988,  Amerigo Vespucci, Heller 1990

Wooden ships;  Karl and Marie, 1:50 Krick, 1991, Le Hussard (extremely bashed),  AL, scratch design, 2009

Welcome to MSW Michael! Great to have you with us. I wish you all the best of luck on your build and look forward to seeing more of your work! 

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

:sign:

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Hi Michael,

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The wonderful greetings are encouraging, many thanks.

So, I'm having a closer look at the Dos Amigos' hull.  Some pics are on the agenda very soon. 

As stated earlier, there was an issue with the bow planking, and I just lost momentum.  This was about 5 years ago.  The urge is returning.