Pinta by jct - Shipyard - 1/96 scale - CARD

Thanks Maaaslo...that is good to know, these are the ones that Shipyard offers as accessories for the Pnita, so those are what I ordered...I do have triangle dead eyes, what type of rigging blocks would they have used??

Edited by jct

Thanks for all the likes and comments, I am satisfied with the new planking but not with the mismatch colors:

78-before.JPG.f596da437e13d03493d18ca6c7d8350e.JPG

So I decided to try a technique I used on armor models in the past...acrylic toning...really just layer upon layer of thin washes of thinned acrylic paint. When I do this I don't use water to thin the acrylics, but different forms of acrylic medium, I've read that water will break the polymer bonds at the molecular level were the mediums do not...no clue if that is true or not, but I use um cause I have um.  The mix I use is 1 part paint (burnt umber in this case), 1 part Matte medium, 4-5 parts retarder to thin the mix and slow drying time, once thoroughly mixed the mix is poured into a resealable container.

59e7bbe13dd42_76-toningmaterials.JPG.f3e6fb874a864431825388b3cdcd0bce.JPG

From there it's a matter of layering on the wash/toner one layer at a time waiting for each successive coat to dry. I was not sure if this technique would work on paper or not so I tested it on a few of the kit parts I won't be using.   Here you can see the effect of one, two and three coats, from left to right...the effect can be very subtle or striking depending on the density of the color and the undercoats you use, you can use different shades or even different colors.

77-applied.JPG.f833e0a8306587c73aeae36ecc74ece4.JPG 

The Pinta received 4 coats on the upper hull and only two on the lower, as it was darker to begin with, finished pic below, the hull will pick up more contrast as the build continues as I plan to do the wales in a darker brown

79-after.JPG.d04853225a1f04bb4038b593742eaa4a.JPG

Thx for following along

Edited by jct

jct, it looks like you've solved the color match issue. The hull looks great.

On my HMS Alert, which used printed paper (as opposed to the boxed, laser-cut kits which require you to paint the whole thing), I ended up painting almost every single surface in some way. Even my deck has a thin wash of paint. I think it actually makes the paper model of the wooden ship look more natural.

Looks great. I'm going to start experimenting with the acrylic mediums myself.

Nicely done!

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Hi Cat...ya I'm pretty happy with the look, I think you're right...the paint adds much more depth to the surfaces, doesn't look near as flat or lifeless.  I'm planning to continue the toning for the rest of the build.  I think you'll be happy with the result you'll get from the acrylic mediums, doesn't take a lot of practice to develop the touch nor a lot of cash either.  Thanks to all for the likes

J

the hull looks super J.........nice color and tone  ;)    never heard of cardboard blocks........but then again,  what else do you use on a paper model?   what do they supply for blocks in the Pinta kit?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Pop...they do supply something...both sides and the centers are printed out and you have the cut and laminate them to cardstock to get the pieces to  the pieces to the right thickness...the majority are only 2mm long and 1.5mm wide...after looking at all the little tiny pieces that would need to be assembled I started looking for alternatives, I need to maintain what little sanity I have remaining :P   The ones I got from Free Time are the same size but they are all laser cut, should save much cursing :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick note, to say this build is being set aside for a bit, I'm going to focus on completing the Harriet Lane.  Thx to all those that have been following along, no fear this build will be back...

THX

J

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Sorry I’ve been away for awhile, been having trouble with my eyes… cataracts and a neurological issue.

May be abut before I’m able to resume any build activities.

Harriet is complete though and the log is up

thsnks much for your interest I appreciate it

J

Just read your log well done,that hull turn out real great 👍  be looking for your next one , awesome  job:10_1_10:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati