Waka by John Allen - FINISHED - 1:24 - Maori War Canoe

John - 

A very nice rendition of an unusual subject.  Thanks for taking us along on the journey.

The Hunley project sounds like an interesting one as well.  I look forward to following along.

Be well

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Dan,

Thank you for the kind comments.

John

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Congratulations, John.  I really can't add anything that hasn't been said.  She (?) is one unusual and wonderful model.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

John,  

You've done a wonderful job on this.

I wish I'd thought of this earlier - I did a bit of a browse on "Maori war canoes" and came up with a couple of contemporary (European) eyewitness pictures showing the problematical sail in somewhat more detail. Sorry it's a bit late, but it might be of use when it comes to the Polynesian canoe.

There's one from 1770 at https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Maori_war_canoe,_drawing_by_Alexander_Sporing.jpg and another from about the same year at https://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/resources/632-waka-revival , though I think the second one is from Polynesia rather than New Zealand.

There is also an article at https://stampaday.wordpress.com/2018/02/19/outrigger-canoes-of-fiji/ which though it's ostensibly about Fijian canoes, has quite a bit of information on the New Zealand ones and even has an early twentieth century photo of two Maori canoes under sail, (which perhaps are using the traditional fabric  for their sails).

Hope this is of interest (and not just annoying because too late),

Steven 

Steven,

Thanks for the kind words. No send any info of interest, all appreciated.

The Holakea on the list is of great interest, they did prove it was capable of circumnavigating the globe in the reproduction. Off the top of my head 2 to 3 years??? I am looking forward to the double hull, and stringer assembly and sails.

Have to get some others out of the way. I learned from my perspective finish one then go on. Did not have enough space to do two at a time.

Thanks for the links had lost hours of research by not backing up properly.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

• 1 month later...

John

Seeing your build log on this war canoe reminded me of a model that I saw while vacationing on Maui many years ago.  My wife was occupied in a jewelry kiosk in a small mall just outside of Lahaina.  I continued wandering around until I noticed a model of an old ship in a store window that the Polynesians used to get to Hawaii.

It was in a shop window so I could only view it thru the glass, but I thought it looked interesting enough to take a few photos of it anyway.  I could not tell exactly how large the actual ship was or what scale was used to model it.  I talked to the store owner but he only seemed to know that it apparently was made by some local craftsman who claimed that his ancestors sailed there in just such a vessel and he built it as described to him by his grandfather.  Who can say for sure, as there were so few written records and most of their history was handed down in stories handed down from their ancestors.

I remembered taking the photos, but it took quite a bit of searching to find them again. (no digital cameras back then) Perhaps it would be something to inspire you to build since you do seem to have an interest in such vessels. It appears to be constructed of lashed logs rather that dug out tree trunks like your war canoe. Here are the photos that I took back in November 1985. (Our second of 10 trips to our favorite destination)

Dave

5b4a99dc6d09d_poly.ship2.thumb.jpg.7452018d08875c216103b85e78f842cf.jpg

5b4a99ce3d333_poly_ship.thumb.jpg.27f928afce3edec1d955306a9afa666a.jpg

5b4a99e6cee31_poly.ship3.thumb.jpg.452e9c290933e71b8363847aecd3f874.jpg

5b4a99f2ac7e1_poly.ship4.thumb.jpg.d33eb17c80692c0c70cf680a6cd8a6aa.jpg

5b4a99fb5ec56_poly.ship5.thumb.jpg.66c3a7fd554e681d0dd1b0ab2a96bd86.jpg

5b4a9a02436e7_poly.ship6.thumb.jpg.415821d5c2738566090741bda4cf68b8.jpg

5b4a9a0a729d5_poly.ship7.thumb.jpg.590834501f7881da1e8ef3bd952639fe.jpg

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

• 3 years later...

• The title was changed to Waka by John Allen - FINISHED - 1:24 - Maori War Canoe