Dremel Drill pess adapter

I just bught a new dremel and I saw a drill, pess adapter for it on amazon , it looks like it has a few options that it says it will do and the price isnt to bad . I was just curious if anyone out there owns one and if its any good . It looks cool , but doesmit really do th he job ? 

Derek C

A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder --Thomas Carlyle

Current Build

18th Century Whaling Vessel "Lagoda"

Finished Builds

Triton Cross Section by Derek C 1/48 

18th century longboat by Slideways - FINISHED - Model Shipways

18th century longboat by sideways from MS plans

I have had one for a few years now and find it works well for modeling purposes. You can also use it as a stand to hold the Dremel when using the flex shaft attachment. I use the 4486 keyless chuck with mine.  

Is it a true Dremel or one of the knockoffs?  I bought one of the knockoffs from MicroMark as I couldn't find the Dremel version about 10 years ago.  Too much plastic which doesn't make an accurate tool.  I use it only for grinding and sanding... nothing require any degree of precision.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I've been looking at it too, in Micro-Mark. 

They call it a "Dremel Workstation" on sale US$43.99, catalog #83453

I assume that means that their current offer is a genuine Dremel.

Hmmm.  I guess that doesn't mean there aren't plastic parts on it, tho.

Richard

I have one and its pretty handy for holding the dremel sideways to use as a more precise cutoff tool with the carbide wheels. Its a little floppy though for precise milling or the like'

. For drilling plastic I like the Ryobi electricians screwdriver with a special chuck for drilling plastic. It has lots of torque and turns slow enough not to melt the plastic. IThe Dremel turns too fast for that and doesn't have low speed torque.

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

I own one with the 4486 keyless chuck and don't have any complaints. But it isn't set up all the time. For a grab and go tool I just use a cheap $9.95 tool that I bought at Harbor Freight. 

I am just curios, why do people buy something and then ask for opinions later. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I don't like to tell someone they screwed up.

Edited by RussR
More info and miss spelling

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

Reklein is Correct , I purchased the dremel I am interested in the drill press attachment . Thanks for your input though 

Derek C

Current Build

Finished Builds

The one I'm looking at is made by dremel and seems it would be handy to hold unit as reklein mentioned . Altduck check amazon they have the one made by dremel for close to same price 

Derek C

Current Build

Finished Builds

Okay,

I own the Dremel 3000 and the drill press adapter and it works good enough for model building etc. Also I own the router attachment but haven't used it so at this point I don't have a opinion. But for a hobby tool how good does it have to be?

For a tool to make my living I want the best quality.

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

Altduck... you can call tech support at Micro-Mark and ask if it's a true Dremel.  It probably is as I note their catalog of parts is changing and appears to be for the better.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I hate to be the partybreaker, (well not really) but I had a Dremel 3000 and the drill stand and in my opinion it's crap. The drill stand is too wobbly to do anything more than drill a hole in the general direction of where you want it. I sold them and got me a Proxxon MB 200 drill stand and 240/e. Much more precise. I believe one can get a Dremel adapter to the the MB 200...

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Nuestra Senora del Pilar - Occre

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Santissima Trinidad cross section - Occre

The Dremel drill press adapter is fine for run of the mill modeling work.  It is just what it says it is, a holder for a dremel tool that can be used to drill holes.  To expect it to double as a mill or precision drill press is asking to much for a tool that doesn't cost that much to begin with.  That said if you want something stronger and more precise there are a few after market dremel tool drill press adapters out there such as milescraft.  You can also make your own ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:161190 ) or modify a drill press adapter for a regular power drill.  Here is a link to one of these.  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1654673

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

I'd agree with the comments that suggest the stand will not produce really accurate results. Suppose you're trying to make a pin rack for your belaying pins; the holes have to be evenly spaced and all in line. Can't do it with this appliance. If your tolerances are broader and you feel that with rope coils over the belaying pins nobody will see slight misalignments, the stand will do the job. I've had one for years and still use it, but I line everything up before hand; mark where I want the hole; turn on the dremel, and there's enough slop in the stand that the torque of the drill throws it out of alignment.

Tom

I have one of the dremel presses.  I'm satisfied with it for the purposes I have for it.  I do really like the 90º turn for using it as a "lathe" for sanding down small spars (limited by the 1/8" collet size).  Its also useful with the sanding drum on it giving hands free for the piece being sanded.

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

I have an old Ryobi bench top adjustable belt drive drill press that I use.  For the drill press and have found a mini chuck on e-bay that works great in the 1/2 inch chuck for micro-bits.  On big advantage is the belts can be set down to 540 RPM (my favorite speed)  for precise drilling etc.  I can also use it as a sander with a low cost sanding drum set.  When you look and think about it a bench top drill press can be very versatile.  And really, you don't need to spend an arm and leg for one.

Michael C. Warnick,

USAF SMSGT (Ret)

Current Build:  MS Fair American

Prior Builds:  AL Swift, AL San Francisco II, AL Mississippi

In the hanger:  MS Benjamin W. Latham