Hello from Reno

scasey88

Hello everyone, my name is Shawn and I live in Reno Nevada, I am totally new to building wooden ships, but I am enjoying every minute of it. I used to build plastic models and always wanted to try the wooden ships, but I now feel I am at the age where I have the patience for it. A couple of weeks ago I ordered an 18th century longboat from Model Expo,

and while I waited for it to arrive I purchased a few tools that I did not have. I have already started my longboat, and I am on the planking stage, it is kind of horrid, I wish I would have found this site earlier, after going through some of the build logs for the longboat, I see a few mistakes that I made that will effect the outcome of the planking. but I see this model as a learning experience anyways, and it sure is. anyways I am happy to be here and eager to learn lots more.

Welcome aboard Scasey. Absolutely nothing wrong with removing mistakes and starting over. A lot of this hobby is learning from our mistakes. I learn something new everyday on this site. Enjoy.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Hello Shawn 

i am also a noob to wooden ship models and chose the longboat as my first build as well . I expect to be done in the next week . It was a lot more challenging than I had expected but was a fun boat to build and I learned a lot already from both this forum and my mistakes. Hope you start a log so we can follow along 

Derek

Derek C

A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder --Thomas Carlyle

Current Build

18th Century Whaling Vessel "Lagoda"

Finished Builds

Triton Cross Section by Derek C 1/48 

18th century longboat by Slideways - FINISHED - Model Shipways

18th century longboat by sideways from MS plans

19 minutes ago, Slideways said:

Hello Shawn 

i am also a noob to wooden ship models and chose the longboat as my first build as well . I expect to be done in the next week . It was a lot more challenging than I had expected but was a fun boat to build and I learned a lot already from both this forum and my mistakes. Hope you start a log so we can follow along 

Derek

Thanks Derek, I did see your build log, good job by the way! I am contemplating starting over on this kit, Somehow my bulkheads got tweaked during glue up, I used a square on them too, and after seeing the other builds I realized I totally spaced the rabbet on the false keel towards the bow, I got the bearding line though, I did not fully understand the fairing process either, and made some mistakes there too, all of this equals a planking job that is giving me lots of trouble, I am not really that far into yet, so I might just order another kit, and if I do, I will try and start a log. I am kind of embarrassed to post up pictures of this one.:D

Welcome to MSW Shawn! Great to have you with us. I too wish I would have found this site sooner than I did as I completely built my first wooden ship before discovering this great place. As you said take it as a learning experience which I did and combined with the knowledge and inspiration I got here, ship number two was 1000 times better. Just remember that we are all learning and growing as modelers. Even the most experienced among us still learns new tricks. Nothing to be ashamed of when you have to redo things, it all goes into the experience.

I wish you the best of luck on your build and look forward to seeing pictures of it!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Hi Shawn,

Welcome to MSW.  A wise man once said, "The day I stop learning, is the day i'm dead.".  I quite agree as around here, we all seem to learn something everyday.   By all means, open a build log.  The help alone will go far in assisting your getting your skills to grow.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Shawn. 

Welcome aboard. :cheers:

I just finished the same model no less than a week ago. I documented the process with pics. If you hit a tough patch, let me know.

I hopefully have a pic.

The only thing, my pics start right as I finished the planking....I was changing my phone at the time.

This was my first wooden ship as well. Took me a few months, but so worth it!

Yo will learn so much.

Happy building, 

Tom 

004.JPG

Hi Shawn,

Welcome!  You'll have a lot of fun here.  I'm on my first build, a Chesapeake Bay Flattie, not nearly as ambitious as your first build.  My guess is you'll get everything you need here.

Best regards,

Mark

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want

Current build: Model Expo Glad Tidings, Pinky Schooner

First builds:

Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

Midwest Chesapeake Bay Flattie

Shawn as you will soon learn this site is different from the vast majority on the internet. I have joined and quit many sites that have people deride you for asking questions or because you do things a little different. This IS NOT one of those sites. People here are helpful and I have never read a derisive post by anyone. You have here available to you some of the most talented modelers in the world. Look at the twirling world  and see that there are people every where with the love of modeling.

Don't fret my first planking job wasn't the greatest either and that is where I learned about wood filler and sanding. Thought I was cheating and then learned everybody does it. Soak your wood in boiling water and bend them slowly into shape. Hold them in place with clamps. In many cases your wood strip will be full width in the center and need to be trimmed at the bow and stern. Some of these gentleman on this site are pure magicians at this technique and may give some advice. You will Master this. Just take your time and enjoy. 

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.