Byzantium by qwerty2008 - RADIO - Scale 1: 20 - based on the Pride of Baltimore

Sorry its been so long since my last post. Since my last post I have made the weeping angel figurehead, there's nothing more intimidating than a twelve foot tall statue of an angel covering its eyes. the figurehead is made from Sculpty. After I took the pics I did some work on aging.

post-1993-0-30453200-1391919436_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-20562000-1391919485_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-77138000-1391919534_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-80912500-1391919588_thumb.jpg

Lextin.

Edited by qwerty2008

"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein.

Now that I've seen some doctor who I actually understand that.  Very clever.  

I have a question, if I threw on a coat of spray paint now would it cause the thinned resin that I am planing on sealing it with not to stick properly?. I want to see it with some color on it now but an not yet ready to seal the outside also the paint will illuminate any flaws that need work.

Lextin.

I asked the same question on another forum and got a similar answer, since I got the same answer from two different sources it must be good info so I will hold off on paint until the hull is sealed. Before sealing the hull I need to finish the trim and install the rest of the gunport sills.

Lextin

I have installed all of the gunport sills and am debating on if I should add some trim to the stem just above the figurehead similar to a beakhead but just decorative as it would be to small to be useful.

Lextin.

You are coming along nicely Lextin.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I made the beakhead'ish thing, I made it by cutting grooves into my mockup version then setting small pieces of square stock into the grooves which were then glued onto the sides with some CA, I temporarily glued each halve into place then glued two pieces of square stock between them to hold them together.

Should I go straight along the top edge or have a curve like the one I marked on it in the last two pictures?

post-1993-0-46582400-1392350568_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-51757100-1392350697_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-01282100-1392350851_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-59672800-1392351009_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-93401600-1392351131_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-07548300-1392351260_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-01465000-1392351378_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-00634300-1392351490_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-90026800-1392350450_thumb.jpg

Lextin.

Nice work, Lextin. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

She's looking pretty.  

I did a float test yesterday, I added lead until it floated at its waterline then left it for 4 hours. Even with the weight held internally it was surprisingly stable this means that I can shorten the keel which will allow me to sail in shallower water.

Lextin.

Edited by qwerty2008

She looks good floating in the water.  She'll be a fun ship to sail for sure.   

Looks good in the water, Lextin.  Took me a minute to realize that you had to dig a pond.  Then I remembered about Lake Mirage.. or the lakebed at least.  :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice but my advice would be to be careful when you shorten the keel.

David B

David: When I shorten the keel I will attach the bulb without the fin then move it up and down the bolts until I get the right balance between shallowness and stability then I will cut the fin shorter.

Lextin.

• 3 weeks later...

I made the master cannon that will be used to make the mold for casting the rest. The cannon is made from paper brushed with diluted PVA  and rolled around a piece of brass tube then turned on a lathe. In order to make the cannon I first needed to make a lathe to turn it on to do this I strapped my Dremel to a board and put some eye hooks in another piece of wood which was clamped onto the first. one end of the tube that I rolled the paper around was placed through the eye hooks and the other was chucked into the Dremel.

post-1993-0-54625900-1394256310_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-34017500-1394256156_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-62023100-1394256190_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-62001300-1394256236_thumb.jpg

Lextin.

Very ingenious, Lextin.  I like your lathe and your cannon.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Before I bought my Sherline when I had hair I used to dream up 100 of ways of using a dremel.  It could be a pain and a problem.  But ingenuity always won out.  Congrats on a great idea .  And a nice looking master. Are you going to use resin or Brittania?

David B

Looks good so far.  

I thought that it wold be easier to cast the cannons so I made a mold then tested the mold with wax but what came out could hardly be called a cannon and with the time and effort that I put into making the mold I could of made halve the cannons that I need from paper  :(

Lextin.

Trying out new things feels that way at first.  I haven't tried casting but I think if you give it a few more tries and some different approaches it may come out to be what you were looking for.  It may not be beneficial time wise to this build but it could be beneficial time wise to the next.