Byzantium by qwerty2008 - Scale 1:20 - RADIO - based on the Pride of Baltimore

The mold was made from some sort of plaster that came with the house which didn't conform to the shape of the master. If I make a mold again I will attempt to get proper mold making supplies.

Lextin.

"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein.

There are several tutorials on casting out there. The principal will be the same whether using resin or brittania. The mold can be a 2 part rubber mold or from modeling clay. Alumilite is one of the main suppliers. I also believe there is a tutorial MSW that will help you get started. The great thing about resin is it will show everything that is on the master including the fingerprints.

David B

For now I am going to move on, I will revisit the cannons later. In the mean time I will be working on miscellaneous other parts.

Since my last post I made the chain plates and the cross trees for both mast. Oops looks like I forgot to take pictures of the cross trees, I will try to post some soon.

post-1993-0-84036100-1395193337_thumb.jpg

Lextin.

• 1 month later...

I haven't been working on the Byzantium as much as I would like lately because the Black Pearl but I will hopefully be getting back the Byzantium soon here are some pics of the progress since my last post. First I did some rearanging and made room in my closet for the Byzantium.

I decided to go with bowsies for the shrouds instead of deadeyes but the bowsies were kinda ugly so I will be disguising them as deadeyes. I also have started making the sail templates from masking paper.

post-1993-0-91528300-1399674432_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-31820900-1399674438_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-34274800-1399674443_thumb.jpg

Lextin.

Those hoops look a bit snug there, they should be a little large so they can travel easily and not distort the sail by binding.

Jerry Todd

Click to go to that build log

Constellation ~ RC sloop of war c.1856 in 1:36 scale

Macedonian ~ RC British frigate c.1812 in 1:36 scale

Pride of Baltimore ~ RC Baltimore Clipper c.1981 in 1:20 scale

Gazela Primeiro ~ RC Barkentine c.1979 in 1:36 scale

Naval Guns 1850s~1870s ~ 3D Modeling & Printing

My Web Site

My Thingiverse stuff

Mast hoops were always made a certain percentage oversized so that the sails could be lashed to them and they could travel the length of the mast without binding

David B

As you have already noticed I made the hoops for the sails. They are made from paper and soaked in C.A. and yes they are a bit small will probably be remade later. if they don't work.

Lextin.

• 2 weeks later...
I ordered the servo(Hitec HS 785 3.5 turn) for the fore and aft sails today. Which sails should be slaved to which other sails? I have a 4 channel Tx/Rx one channel is being used for the rudder the other 3 are available for the sails.

I picked up a sampler pack of hemp cord at Wal-Mart and was wondering what the pros and cons of using hemp on a RC model are?. The hemp is strong and has no stretch to it and seems ideal for the standing rigging also its looks better than synthetic materials for rope.

I tried my hand at sail making today and came up with this, I tried attaching the bolt ropes but it didn't come out very good so I removed them, because the hem at the edge is so bulky I might leave off the bolt ropes altogether. I like the look and feel of this material for the sails but it is rather difficult to work with, if I went with a synthetic material I would be able to skip the hem and just cut the material with a hot knife to keep it from fraying.

post-1993-0-38566900-1400873565_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-84059300-1400873707_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-68132900-1400873825_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-92366500-1400873893_thumb.jpg

Lextin.

My servo arrived today :D (weird because I wasn't expecting it for another two weeks) its bigger than I thought it would be. 

Lextin.

Edited by qwerty2008

I made the first block and also made some polyester rope, I am very happy with the look of both but I am having problems with the rope wanting to unravel (if I were to cut the end [currently held with CA] the whole rope would unravel within a few seconds) were did I go wrong?.

You may have noticed the top corner of the sail is severely mangled this is because I made the mistake of hardening the corners with CA which made the already weak cloth brittle. I will most likely get some better material later on and replace the sails so right now they will just be place holders and when I get the new material I can use them as templates.

post-1993-0-76924800-1401135168_thumb.jpg

Lextin.

Great work.  She looks like she'll be a lot of fun.  

now that I have the servo and a sail almost ready to be rigged I am wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on how to rig it. I made a mark on the boom approximately where the sheet will attach then swung the boom out until it was touching the shrouds (or at least would be touching them had they been installed) and measured the distance between the two ends of the sheet which is approximately 24" or two feet which means that with the ~2.5 turns I get out of my "3.5 turn servo" I will need a (pulls out calculator) ~3" diameter drum on the servo. I already plan on making the drum from CDs but am lost on what to do from there, closed system? open system? if I do go with a closed system would I need to make a second hatch towards the stern for maintenance? if I went with an open system how would I maintain tension so the line wont come off the drum? I have many more questions but don't want to spend hours writing this post. 

Thanks.

Lextin.

I made a case for around the drum and also have been working on making a system to double the pull of the servo by putting a pulley on a track. I still need to make the supports for the track and run the rudder control around and out of the way.

post-1993-0-46228000-1401763393_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-74380600-1401763397_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-95598000-1401763401_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-31420900-1401763406_thumb.jpg

Lextin.

I did a test and my servo only has abought 1/4 the torque that it should have, I think this might be because my battery which is 4 cheapo AAAs in a pack meant for AAs, I will try to get a new battery/charger and see if that fixes the problem.

Lextin.

Based on help I got on RC Groups I will be getting a 6 volt, Sealed Lead Acid battery and charger.

The spectra arrived today and I will see if I can ropewalk it tonight as it is currently to thin to use for the shrouds.

Lextin.

Edited by qwerty2008

I ordered the battery yesterday it should be here within the next few weeks. I also took some better pictures of the block which is my first successful piece of brass work. The problem I kept having was that the solder didn't want to stick to the metal. Turns out that I was getting the metal to hot, when I lowered the temperature the solder worked perfectly.

post-1993-0-30447700-1402078348_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-07013600-1402078353_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-12525700-1402078357_thumb.jpg

Lextin.

Very nicely done on the block, Lextin.  Looks great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The battery arrived today so I did some test and got the winch servo to lift 9 pounds of lead, 3 times what it could lift on my previous battery pack. If I had more weights I might have been able to get close to the 12 pounds it says it can handle. I did a test with it in the hull hooked up to my pulley system and it ripped out the eyebolt the end of the sheet was tied to.

Lextin.

here are some pics of the battery and my new servo tray layout marked with sharpie. I could not get the battery beneath the servo tray as per my original plans so I put it behind the main mast, it will be difficult to get in and out but it will have to do.

post-1993-0-14441600-1402785476_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-73586300-1402785481_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-97559900-1402785487_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-98675300-1402785493_thumb.jpg

Lextin.

• 2 weeks later...

Great work. I'm curious. What are you using to water proof the hull? I have been toying with the idea of making an rc model for a long time and that's one thing I've often wounded about.