HMS Winchelsea - FINISHED - 1764 - by Chuck (1/4" scale)

Here is a very accurate photo on a neutral background to showcase the yellow cedar stem.  This should give you a really good idea of the grain (lack of) and texture of the wood.  It does not darken along the end grain.  Laser char is at a minimum and this has just a light coat of wipe on poly.  After a few months the color will deepen to nice amber color but it holds a really crisp edge and sands great.  Its a soft wood but finished nothing like a soft wood.  It finishes like a hard wood similar to boxwood in my opinion.  But at a 40% or so discount.

stemassembled.jpg

Bannersyren.jpg

Chuck

Its just one way I have seen the it done in original source material.   There are many variations.

Ah you went and did it. Good for you. It will be great to see her built at 1/4"

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Chuck, the Yellow Cedar looks great. Will you also use it for the keel? You say it's softer. Does that mean it's also more flexible? Does that matter in this case? I'm only asking because as a newbie I'm trying to learn. I know the planking and other structure will add rigidity and it won't undergo the stresses of a real ship so maybe it's not an issue at all.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

I am going to use it for almost everything.  The only thing I wont use it for is any scraped molding.  That will be boxwood.

It is very flexible. 

Guest Tim I.

Chuck,

I am glad to see this project underway again. I am eager to build this when the kit becomes available!

- Tim I.

On 09/02/2018 at 8:51 PM, Chuck said:

In addition,  I am not sure you guys are aware of this yet, but you will be soon.  The price for C.Boxwood has increased 75-100% over the last two-three months.

Thanks a lot for the tip, bought a bunch of sheets just for the future. So far the price from my favourite European vendor (Arkowood) is the same as it was in 2015, but good to know that it might increase soon!

This is just in the states Mike...I have no idea what is happening in Europe but I am actually looking to buy bulk from Europe soon as the prices do seem to be stable there.  Also it is very very tough to find 12/4 stock boxwood in the states now and it is plentiful in Europe.  There is just the shipping and taxes to contend with.  Gilmer on the west coast of the US for example only has 8/4 boxwood and its priced at $40 per board foot now as opposed to $24 per board foot just last year.  Its a bit of a ripp-off.

I have been led to believe by those suppliers that it is because of the increased tax placed on all lumber imported into the US by these companies.  But who knows why....could just be greed.

Chuck

These are very interesting news. I like the color of the yellow ceda. I think it will be looking really nice with my favorite pear wood and a nice choice for my HMS Triton. But in the moment I don't have any idea where to buy tis kind of timber in Europe.

I like the idea of building the model in 1/48. So it has the same scale as my other projects.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update...Alaskan yellow cedar is being used for this model.

gammonknee.jpg

bevelgammonslot.jpg

The new 1/4" scale stem is now assembled onto the bulkhead former.  The rabbet strip was added to the bulkhead former first (5/32 x 1/16).  After that dried, the Bformer was beveled along the bearding line into the rabbet strip.  Then the stem assembly was glued to that.

5-32rabbetstrip.jpg

stemkneedone.jpg

stemonbformer.jpg

Finally, the individual keel pieces which are laser cut were glued in succession along the bottom of the bulkhead former.  To finish it off, the bolts were simulated using 15 pound black mono filament. 

keel on.jpg

I assembled some right angle braces that I designed for the build board to keep the false keel from twisting and bending.  Now its time to laser cut those bulkheads and add them. To give you a sense of size...the build board is 36" long.

buildboard.jpg

Chuck

You always achieve such clean crisp joints Chuck; very impressive.  Love the wood tones!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Chuck

It looks really great!

Will the masts be stepped on deck or will a slot be cut out at some point? I wondered whether that was what the black marks were for but they seem too far forward and aft for the fore and mizzen masts respectively?

Really fascinating to see your well thought through design coming together. Cedar looks lovely too.

Thanks

Rob

no that is just painters tape. It is used to just make the bulhead former fit tighter within the three brackets.  i use painters tape a lot for this purpose because it can easily be removed later. The bformer is nice and snug now.

A number of our group have seen Rusty's model of your first version. It was a delight to behold! So this version should be nothing short of spectacular and a joy to build with your continued refinement of technique. Now the big question is how long do I have to stand in line to buy one??????

Joe

headrailscheeks.jpg

Oh it wont be too long hopefully now that I dont have to wait until the entire project is completed and a book is published and printed.  I can release parts of the project as I complete them much like I did for Cheerful.  Hopefully the starter package will be released shortly after planking has begun.  I have attached the first chapter to give you guys an idea of what the monograph will look like.  I am more than happy to answer any questions or embellish any parts of the monograph should more detail be needed.  But this will at least give you guys an idea of what I am shooting for.  I also wanted to mention again that I have many images of the contemporary model that I will be sharing along the way which I am sure no one has seen yet.  Here is one showing the headrails and cheeks....I am getting really excited again to get into the thick of building this model.

Chapterone.pdf

Chuck

That will be a seperate mini kit because they are easy enough to make on your own for anyone who wants to do so.  No sense in forcing people to spend for more than they intend to use.  I like to give as many options as possible if it makes it more economical. :)  I would also recommend that everyone buys or makes a set of these because they can be reused for all models at this stage of construction.  Its worth the time to make them.

_DSC8404.jpg

Chuck

Thanks...I still have to edit it.  Its on the list of things to do.

Below is a dry fit of the bulkheads and stern frames.  All looks good to go for the next step.

And just this one time only...I dragged out the old dusty and broken 3/16" scale version of the Winnie for a size comparison.  They are lined up at the stern so you can see the difference.  What a mess the old model is....full of dust and filthy as well as busted up a bit.

dryfitbulkheads.jpg

dryfitbulkheads1.jpg

Two Winnies!!!!

Really nice Progress, Chuck.

I like the size of your Version 2, much more possibilitie to play with details.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Chuck you provide the most concise instruction booklets available. They are awesome and I would like to make a suggestion based on ten years of writing technical documentation. Number your photos and refer to that number in your instructions. Lessens confusion. Looking forward to this kit.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Wow what a monster! And I mean that in a good way. :D

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

That is a thing of beauty.  I'm sure the "pre-sales" are rolling in.  

Please add me to the list if you have one going.  

This is going to be fun!!!

Steve

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea