Thanks Greg.  I have noticed that other MFGs are trying to replicate that already.  But they are having a hard time.  Their attempts are falling rather flat.  My guess is they will do the same and try to copy this concept next.  I have already made some great progress on the cheeks.   The main headrail is next.   If I can get over that hurdle then I will be home free.

Chuck

20 hours ago, Chuck said:

So I am spending lots of time trying to engineer something that will finally make these less difficult to make while not looking kit-like or awful.

Chuck, I'm going to get so spoiled on this project that I won't be able to build any other kits!

21 hours ago, Chuck said:

Thank you guys.

I will be working on the cheeks next so I can add the hawse holes.   I have been contemplating a new concept for making these for quite some time.   The one thing that is always disappointing me with even the latest and most innovative kits are the head rails.  They just look awful.  Even with these so-called Chinese kits that everyone is raving about.   Once you get beyond the framing on those its basically the same old stuff.  So I am spending lots of time trying to engineer something that will finally make these less difficult to make while not looking kit-like or awful. 

DSCF5516.JPG

DSCF5515.JPG

Hopefully have an update soon.  If I stare at these photos enough I am sure I will come up with something!!  😉

Chuck

Hi Chuck! Same as you, I'm designing the head platform. It's true that the upper and lower check are a bit complicated,  then the main rail is a little better. After all, from the top view, they are straight, not curved, and then they are actually stitched together. I don't know as a kit project, the whole one will be easier to make? Then when you have finished a sample, can you consider casting with resin? I saw in the previous buildlog that the resin parts can be properly deformed to fit the hull. However, it is much more difficult for me, because I am also considering how to use CNC to process such complex parts, and I also have to consider the deviation of each model.

Fortunately, I'm behind you. I can refer to your method, but I can't copy yours..., which will make you angry😝

Spoiler

image.png.149ef8a8f23fd8ac4355f81bf358d640.png

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter five.....fun!!!

This chapter begins with the cheeks/hair brackets at the bow so we can eventually drill those hawse holes.   We need to do that before we can continue working inboard.   Then we will shape the hole in the lower counter for the rudder installation.

So I began by trying to prototype some cheeks and even the headrails.   We wont need the head rails until much later but I might as well get the production and mfg methods developed.  I have done so and now I will assemble the one side of the cheeks.  Pictures are below.   When I add them to the starboard side I will take more step by step photos.   I just wanted to do the first go around entirely on the port side first.

It all went pretty smooth.  These pieces for the cheeks and hair brackets are composed of many separate laser cut elements.   I havent added the wash cant yet or drilled the hawse holes.  Many of these pieces are not even glued on yet.  Its basically a test run.   

But here you can see the fruits of my labor.  Many iterations of cheeks and head rails have been made over the last two weeks.  All of these laser cut pieces have been made from boxwood.  And of course more printed friezes for these thin details.  I believe it will set this project apart from other very simplified kits on the market.   Most look overly simplified and kit-like.  I am satisfied that these do not look like a kit even though all of the pieces are laser cut.  

Oh and of course I had to paint the stem areas black as shown, although you could go with blue between the hair brackets.....behind the carving. 

cheektest.jpg

cheektest1.jpg

• Chuck featured this topic

Thanks Greg,   I cant tell you how many test versions of those were needed.   20 failed ideas for every successful idea.   But each failed attempt leads to some fresh new concepts to try.   

The hair brackets and scrolls are each made in four parts and the cheeks in three parts.   Its just a matter of removing the char and shaping them as instructed for assembly.   The builder wont have to carve any beaded details or create any profile scrapers to make them.   Same is true for the headrails which I will show next.   Although I did find it easier to scrape away the char on these with a sharp edge of my scalpel or #11 blade.  

When I do the other side I will document each and every step in the process.   At which time I imagine other MFGs will try and replicate this.   Most headrails and cheeks are pretty sub standard on kits which I am desperately trying to rectify.  Even the newest companies cant seem to figure it out.  No "glue-on-photo etched-kit-like" details for me.   They look too fake.  Unless of course folks are satisfied with a furniture grade ship model.  I dont think folks are though.  So its worth spending hours and hours trying to make them better.

Chuck

This is far above anything available in a kit.  Beautiful work..

I don't think it would be unreasonable to try to recover some of your development cost in your pricing structure before the cheap knock-offs show up.

I know there is already a lot on your plate, but perhaps sometime in the future you could offer headrail upgrade kits for kits like Syren and Confederacy.

5 minutes ago, Gregory said:

I know there is already a lot on your plate, but perhaps sometime in the future you could offer headrail upgrade kits for kits like Syren and Confederacy.

Unfortunately I would need to have a model hull without any headrails made yet .....and built really well to test any parts.   It would impossible for me to create headrail mini-kits for any other project other than those I am working on at the moment.....and it takes weeks and weeks to get it right.   The uprights for any headrails take forever to get right.   I wont even be starting those yet for the Winnie.   

Chuck

• Chuck changed the title to HMS Winchelsea - 1764 - by Chuck (1/4" scale)
  • 2 weeks later...

Chuck, as usual your work is astounding. I'm so glad I went this route instead of anything else.  I have a question...what size treenails do you suggest for the deck and hull? I'm going to have a bit of time killing off the chemo so I figured I could spend it making treenails (mindless and almost soothing I hope)