HMS Winchelsea - FINISHED - 1764 - by Chuck (1/4" scale)

It depends on the use on the model.  I use different gauges.  For the gun carriages I am going with 24 gauge wire for these.  

But the smaller gun carriages on the qdeck and fcastle....I will

probably go with 28 gauge.

for the rung size i usually go with whatever my source plan indicates.   Certainly go smaller than larger.  It is yet another item that will cary and research is in order which most wont do.  Its a pain to do it but it makes a big difference.  My eyebolts on any given model will vary quite a bit depending on location and use.  

Do you plan on offering the gun carriage jig in the store like you did for the grating jig?

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Yes probably.....making 24 of these is not fun so I will offer it as well.  It makes life so much easier.

Chuck

16 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Even wire gauge and dimensions of rings and eye bolts would help, hard to sort out from photos. I’m trying not to lean on Amati store bought for at least for some of the more visible. 

Glenn,

If you look at posts 30 and 41 in my Cheerful log you can see what I did.  I make no claims that these are correct of course.

John

Current Build:

Medway Longboat

Completed Builds:

Concord Stagecoach

HM Cutter Cheerful

Royal Caroline

Schooner for Port Jackson

And by the way guys...I use a lot of black annealed wire.  It is all the "Hillman Wire" brand.   It can be found at Ace Hardware stores and even on EBAY.  Home Depot has it too but sometimes they dont have the right gauges.   I use 28 and 24 and 22 Gauge black wire mostly.   To make my eyebolts they are primarily 28 and 24 gauge.....although when I need I heavier hook or eye bolt I will use 22 gauge.   They also have really heavy stuff 19 gauge but I rarely use that.

Jewellery Making Cord & Wire L Black Annealed Steel 20 Ga Hillman 1540 ft  Mechanics Wire Crafts devidesert.com

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

I use a lot of black annealed wire.  It is all the "Hillman Wire" brand.

1 hour ago, scrubbyj427 said:

Have you ever had issues with any rust appearing with steel wire?

Same stuff I've also used for years and haven't had any rusting either.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Here is the finished carriage with gun in position...

Doesnt that cannon look great?  Hard to believe it is black resin and not brass.  To treat those,  just spray a mist of matte finish on it.  You know the stuff....spray fixative.  I use Krylon or dull coat.   I did this after removing whatever sprues and flashing with a very fine sandpaper.   

Once sprayed and dry I give each barrel the treatment with some weathering powders as I have described numerous times.   It really does the trick.

carriage7.jpg

Keep in mind I havent applied any Wipe on Poly to the trucks yet so they appear very light.  Thats the raw cedar.  They will have a deeper color once I apply the poly.  You can also add the pins that hold the trucks onto the axels.  Its all up to you.   I have seen so many different treatments by builders with gun carriages.   You guys can have fun with these.  

I made the quoin handle.....basically a belaying pin like I usually do.  I chock a length of 3/64 x 3/64 boxwood in my Dremel and shape it with files.   I suppose you can buy some of those but its real tough to find nice belaying pins to scale.   The Crafty Sailor sells some nice ones.   Its up to you and how much time you want to spend on these.  Remember you have to make 24 of them.

carriage8.jpg

The cap square......these are finicky details   You can put as much time and detail into these as you desire.   Check out a few of the scratch build logs and you will see some guys go nutty with these.  I tend to simplify these merely out of boredom with them and lack of desire to go beyond what you see in the photos.  My goal is to just give the suggestion of a more detailed version.  It is not a great deal accurate but because of there size this gives a great impression at this scale that they are.   The close ups are brutal but when you see them in person they do a swell job.

Its very simple really....the base of the cap square is literally a length of black masking tape pre-cut into 1/16" wide strips...maybe a tad wider.   Then I cut the tiniest lengths of 28 gauge black wire.....to 1/16" long.  The same width as the tape.  I place one of these wires at the front and back edges of the tape......

To finish it off you will notice that wire loop around the aft wire of the cap square.  This is just a tiny "U" that I made out of that same wire.  One side of the "U" was a bit longer.  I pre-drilled a hole just behind the tapes edge and inserted this "U" into it so the upside down "U" would come down on top of the wire glued to the edge of the tape.  I hope that makes sense.  Its one of those things that isnt easy to describe.

And finally, a picture alongside a natural version I made of the cannon.   Its dirty from handling it the last six months or so but you have seen this one.  Its up to you guys to choose if you like the painted red version or the natural version.   I am going with the painted version....it will add some color to the already colorful model.   Otherwise it may look too neutral and drab.  Only 23 more to go!!!!  I will get the assembly line going now.  I will so three batches of 8 guns.   I may not even finish these all at once and skip ahead because its tedious work.

carriage9.jpg

ANY QUESTIONS???

Wow! I wasn’t so sure of those resin cannons at first but that looks very convincing. Will these and the carriages all be available in the Winnie section of the store?

Edited by scrubbyj427

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Of course they will be available in my store....the key is how you finish them.....as I described.  They look exactly the same as the blackened brass versions.  But the cyphers are cast into these resin versions already.

The gun deck carriages and cannon will be chapter six....they take a long time.  So this will be the entire chapter along with making the eyebolts and split rings for the bulwarks and deck.

You will need to buy six packages of 1 15/16" long black resin cannon...or the brass ones I have but that will double the costs.

You will also need six packages of gun carriages in Cedar or in Cherry 

They are sold four per package.   

I will have them ready as soon as make more ropewalks and a few more chapter parts installments which are currently out of stock.  But the cannon should be in stock right now..

Chuck

14 minutes ago, Gixli said:

Sorry for the off-topic, but I do not understand about your store, can you tell me which one it is with a link?

If it is not possible in the forum, could you put it in PM?

Syren Ship Model

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Wow, the cannons are looking great. I like the natural carriage. It will be a nice contrast to the hull color.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Guns!!!  Guns!!!  and more guns....

Eight down and 16 more to go.   I have been very busy making these.   Just take your time and go slow so they come out nice and neat.  Some photos of my week of work making 8 cannon....

carriage10.jpg

carriage12.jpg

carriage13.jpg

No I am not going to add any rope at all which was customary for most if not all contemporary hull models.   But I will rig one just to show how I did it in case you guys want to rig them.

Chuck

Good morning Chuck

I understand that you may discontinue the production of rope in the not too distant future. I would like to rig the cannons on my Winchelsea but have little idea what I need in terms of rope – if available – and blocks (size or quantity). To that end would you consider putting together a shopping list necessary to complete chapter 6 or perhaps even a Winchelsea rigged cannons pack comprising cannons, carriages, rope and blocks?

Fred

Not "MAY"......I have discontinued rope.  But yes I intend to rig one cannon in order to show what blocks are needed and what size rope.  Then I will remove it all for my model.   But first I have 16 more guns to build and then I have to add all those eyebolts and split rings to the bulwarks.  Good times.

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

Guns!!!  Guns!!!  and more guns....

Yessssss...... There can never be too many guns. 😁

I love the capstan as well.  It really looks fantastic.

Alan

Chuck Have you thought out the upper decks yet? I remember a conversation about their construction but can’t find it. Would it be possible to have open visible framing on half and completely planked on the other half?

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

That is here...

Yes you can do that.  I will be going the more traditional route however.   I will leave two open areas rather than leave an entire side bare.   It will enable me to add gins on both sides without using the rather ugly methods that I sometimes see.

Chuck   

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

That is here...

Yes you can do that.  I will be going the more traditional route however.   I will leave two open areas rather than leave an entire side bare.   It will enable me to add gins on both sides without using the rather ugly methods that I sometimes see.

Chuck   

Im happy to hear upper deck will be partially opened. caant wait to see  that chapter. will be marvel with those beams.  oh today got a note that parcel is at custom so it took something more than 3 weeks. cant wait to see it. parts 4&5.  terrific. by the way Chuck, I didnt see figureheads in store for some time do i have those order somewhat separately? not in a hurry i have time though. Thank you.