HMS Winchelsea - FINISHED - 1764 - by Chuck (1/4" scale)

sterndrawing.jpg

Welcome to the Winnie project.   

Yes I am starting over again.  Many of you might wonder why I would do such a thing.  There are several good reasons actually.  Let me explain.

- About 3 years ago during a flood in my workshop,  the 1st Winnie was severely damaged.  Although not submerged the humidty and moisture cause the planking at the bow to open up like a banana being peeled back.   I did fix it as best I could but I will never be as happy with it now.

- It has been a long time since I first designed the project and I have learned a great deal since then.    In fact,  I have already made numerous adjustments to the design which will make this model easier to build this time around.  After watching so many folks build the Confederacy kit, the Syren and yes even watching Rusty build the Winnie alongside me....I was able to identify several key areas as trouble spots.   I have since developed new design concepts to make constructing these areas less troublesome and easier all around.

- Over the past several years...5 or 6 actually, I have discovered more info and facts about the Winnies appearance appearance.  This includes finding the original draft of the Winnie herself.  I originally used the drafts of her sisters to make the design.  Although very very close,  there are differences and I have made all of the required updates.  I found this plan in Sweden of all places.  I probably could have just continued and nobody would have noticed....but I would have known what the differences were.  Better to do it right!!!

Winchelseaoriginal draft small.jpg

- Lastly,  as all of you know,  this will be a commercial project of some sort.  Probably like Cheerful with a starter package and many mini-kits.   This project is so much larger than Cheerful and a frigate of this size would be very expensive to model.  I wanted to ensure that as many folks who want to build her can give it a try.   To use Boxwood or Pear for a project of this size would run into the thousands possibly and be very costly to manufacture as laser cut parts.   I still do really want to.   But some close friends talked me out of it for good reason.  Anyway....the new version will NOT be made of Boxwood or Swiss pear.  Instead it will be made out of less expensive materials where I could write about the techniques to finish the wood etc.  I think it would benefit others to see a scratch model built from something other than costly boxwood and with some care it can look wonderful.

qdeckplanking1.jpg

I'm really excited to see you going forward with Winnie. It is something that I absolutely would want to build. What is the mystery wood on the left? Also, what is your approximate timetable?

Bob

Sweet -- this just made my day!!  I will be following along also.  Been looking forward to this project for a long time.  

I'll be sitting up there in the front row.....  Im going to have to get my name on the list early....:D

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea 

Wish I wasn't totally strapped to my Connie build right now.  Would dearly love to build this one along with you Chuck.  So I'll take a front row seat and learn.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

This is going to be fun to watch progress. My Cheerful kit and all its subkits still live in the original shipping package waiting for the skill to improve. This one will probably do the same for a couple of years until I'm ready for it. Of course the barge will have to fit in somewhere. 

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Chuck,

I've seen your original Winnie first hand it's a beauty. I'm sure that Winnie "Version Two" will be every bit as nice and probably top it. I'm looking forward to the build and also hearing about those design changes you plan on making.

Your off to a great start!

Mike

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Hi Chuck - 

Looking forward to watching your artistic and engineering talents on display once again.  If those stem pieces fit together as well as you describe, you have taken laser cutting and kit making to the next level.  Thank you.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Thank you guys.

I am really getting excited to be back on this project.  Hope to have more updates really soon.  :D

Yessssssss! Ah it's great to see you back at the Winnie.

I know it's hard to imagine but I'm sure v2.0 will exceed your great work on v1.0.

Yippee!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

16 hours ago, Tigersteve said:

What a great opportunity to make another planking video!😄

Steve

Another vote for a planking video. The results are amazing and you make it look fairly easy. 

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see you restart the Winchelsea Chuck, it's one of the frigates I intend to build one day, Pellew commanded her before the Indy, and I want to build all his ships before I go.

ben

Edited by Trussben

• 4 months later...

Not really.  No need to test when you find something that works...I cant think of a reason why any similar yellow glue would be different.  I would not use CA however.

Chuck

Thanks for the answer.  It just seems puzzling that everyone says "remove the char" and then bang.... no need to.   I'm all for not needing to myself.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Indeed he is.  This will be a long term project and wont be ready to offer for some time.

Chuck

Good to hear.  

My fondest memories.... working with you along with Rusty on Syren and Confederacy.

I see the Winchelsea as having the same or even greater potential as the Confederacy.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Its going to be just like the Cheerful project.  But the plans will NOT be sold separately.  The plans will only be included in the starter package which has the bulkheads.  There will also be no bulkhead templates on the plans.  There is no reason to include them since you get them laser cut.  This is being done to make it very difficult to pirate.  As of right now there will no longer be a book published.  This will just be released the same as I did for Cheerful with a downloadable free monograph and you can buy the starter package in Cherry or in Yellow Cedar if it works out.  So far I am liking how the Cedar wood looks and works.  But we shall see how you guys respond to it here.   In addition to the starter package there will be a large number of mini kits for various other details...like a quarter gallery mini-kit....casting set...ships wheel mini kit, etc.  You buy what you want or make them from scratch instead.  That is the plan.  I am actually cutting a set of parts for Mike as we speak....and one for rusty as soon as my wood order arrives.

ETA on starter package being released.....as soon as I get the hull planked up.

Chuck

FYI...The reason for the alternative woods is two-fold.  First to make these projects affordable and Boxwood and pear are very expensive.   In addition,  I am not sure you guys are aware of this yet, but you will be soon.  The price for C.Boxwood has increased 75-100% over the last two-three months.   There are very few places in the US right now where you can get really nice stuff without grain that is creamy and wonderful.   At least not in the large sizes that I need.  The current costs for this stuff is now $40 and up per BF.   I was getting it for almost half that price six months ago.  Just got what is probably my last shipment of awesome looking boxwood this morning at that price before I have to either raise my prices or start thinking about a different wood overall.  When your wood guys run out of their pile....they will be very shocked to learn about the increase.  And will probably pass that on to you.  So my advice....if you use boxwood a lot,  buy all you can over the next few months from where ever you can find it.

You are looking at really nice boxwood boards that are 3+" thick, 5-5 1/2" wide and 30" long.   If you knew how much this stack of wood cost you wouldnt believe it.  I am looking to buy another batch within the next few weeks to try and hoard it at the lower prices where ever I can find it.  Gilmer now charges the lowest at $40 per BF.  Other sources have garbage boxwood or its even more money with boards half the thickness and width.

This is also the reason guys why my block inventory has been in bad shape.  I was waiting on this nice stack of wood.  Once I find time to mill it up I will get right on restocking the sizes of blocks I am out of.

boxwood.jpg

Chuck

• 1 month later...

Its 1/48 scale.  After much deliberation and the desire to build a true 1/4" scale frigate before I drop,  this model will now satisfy that urge.  I was no longer going to look at the many beautiful 1/4" scale build logs on this site with mouth open in jealousy.  I have always been curious why there are no 1/4" scale frigate kits available as well.  I know there are plenty who want to build at this scale and now there will finally be one available.  Its not that large actually at about 3 feet long.  I can do so much more at this scale from a design standpoint too!!!

Mike and I have been discussing it along with some design changes and we just decided to build it together in this scale.  I believe everyone should attempt to build at least one frigate like this in 1:48 scale in their lifetime if they can.  And I believe most serious model builders dream of of doing so like me, so I am going to help all of them make up their minds by making it very accessible and hopefully painless to build. 

Chuck

Hello Chuck, that are phantastik news. I am very curious about the new model you are developing. By the way, I recently bought a very old book. "The life of Admiral Viscount Exmouth" by Edward Osler, published in London, 1835. It has a full chapter about Edward Pellew, sailing around Newfoundland in the year 1786, being captain of Hms Winchelsea. It includes the description of crewmembers and life onboard. A description of a severe gale, and a Man over board accident is also reported. You might know this, if not, I can scan and send it. There should not be any problems with copyright after 184 years I presume. I find it always interesting,  knowing some things about the life on the ships we build as models.

Matthias Beckman

Absolutely...I have read a good deal but please send me via PM so the build log doesnt get to clogged with non-build info.  The yellow cedar is wonderful stuff.