HMS Winchelsea - FINISHED - 1764 - by Chuck (1/4" scale)

Greg

Thats probably the way i will go.  But at least now everyone can see both variations and choose for themselves.

looking forward to some GUMBO!!!!

7 hours ago, Chuck said:

Minerva is one of my favorite models.  It always serves to inspire me.  Here is my version (a little hesitant to place my wok against such a masterful contemporary model) of the shingled roof left natural.  I kind of prefer the natural look.  But I will sleep on it a bit.  What do you guys think.  I think the dark roof is too "in your face".  But I could be wrong.  Note how thin the shingles are sanded after each row is completed.  These are boxwood shingles.

natural roof.jpg

natural roof1.jpg

This is just me but I think that Fruitwood Gel Stain would make it all pop. 

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Out of three, my favorite is the grey one. It doesn't shout out, like the black one, and there is a nice balance in the upper and lower part of the galleries. 

But pics can be misleading, the real thing in broad daylight should be what counts :)

the top painted is definitely better tham unpainted.

Jan

I think this discussion is very good, because I have been thinking that using CNC machining parts will make all models look the same, which will make the model making become a boring thing? That's going to take away the "soul" of model making. When I see so many opinions, I think it's very good. 

20191208_133928.thumb.jpg.54f1c9ea09061fc403f3c7b548cab14a.jpg

Slate was propably used to cover a qgallery in those days. Here is an old shingle together with the Winnie.

The qgallery of HMS Surprise has a comparable construction. My daughter visited the ship in San Diego in 2017. Here is a picture.

Surprise.jpg.a5ff75f88e97e8ef7ef73815881b817e.jpg

HMS Victory and HMS Trincomalee have both Black roofs over the qgallery.

TRINCOMALEE.jpg

Some contemporary models have blue or blue-grey painted 'slates' with white outlined edges. At least one model that I've seen has tiles with a central raised line like the vein on a leaf.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Painted tends to cover up all the mistakes made by us truly amateur model ship builders!

John Gilchrist

Rosenberg, TX

John Gilchrist
Yukon, OK

Current build: MS Emma C Berry

Completed: MS Fair American, MS Armed Virginia, MS Pride of Baltimore, Mississippi River Steamboat, Peterboro Canoe, MS USS Constitution, Mayflower, Billings African Queen

A small update.....the starboard side is almost complete (for chapter three anyway).  I just want to add that fancy rail on the top of the qgallery.  But today I finished the friezes and molding on this side.   

friezefinalmolding5.jpg

Remember, the middle molding goes on first.  It is a scraped 3/32" wide molding.  It establishes the proper sheer run.  Then you can add the friezes above and below that molding strip.   You should do this without the qgallery roof glued into position.  It is done this way so the roof can cover the friezes (be glued on top of it) and you will get a nice clean edge.   This way you want have to cut the frieze around the roof and shingles.

friezefinalmolding4.jpg

The lower molding is also scraped in the traditional way.  It is also 3/32" wide.  It has a different profile than the middle molding.  Check out the images of the contemporary model in the gallery before you make your scraper for the molding.  You can cut the short lengths that need to be added between each port.  In addition,  you will need to cut the frieze around each port.  I found this easier to do after the frieze was glued on.  Use a very very sharp xacto blade.  Go slow!!!  Then finally, locate the fixed blocks which are now covered by your frieze.  To do this, poke a drill bit through the sheave holes from the inboard side to puncture the frieze.  Then carefully cut the frieze away to reveal the sheave slots.  I ran a sharp pencil in the sheave slot to clean it up and make it neat.  It also darkens the sheave.

Then glue the top frieze into position.  Try and locate the seams between each segment over a busy part of the design.  This will help hide it.  You would be very hard pressed to find it on my model.  The frieze will not go all the way to the sheer.  It will be about 1/16 - 3/64" below the shear.  This is to accommodate the top run of fancy molding.  

This molding is not scraped.  It is laser etched and cut for you from boxwood.  I did this so I could also match it to the scrolls (volutes) along the waist.  I think it looks pretty good and mixing traditional scraped molding with a laser cut one is a good approach.   Much better than using a laser cut molding for every occurrence.

friezefinalmolding2.jpg

Be very careful with the scrolls when you sand them....they are fragile at only 1/32" thick.  The first thing you should do is lightly sand the top surface with some 320 grit sandpaper.   Then remove them from the sheet.   Use a light touch and then remove the laser char from the edges.  As you do so, remember to support the scroll between two fingers so it doesnt break along the grain.  Again use a light touch.  Dont try and clean the char in the inner edges of the swirled scroll.   It will break.  To finish them up, round off the top and bottom edges.  The same can be done with the lengths of laser cut molding so they match the scrolls and can be glued together so you cant see the seams between them.

friezefinalmolding6.jpg

Dont try and scrape the char from the laser etched grooves.  It just wont work and if you just leave it as is t will look great.  This is what I did with mine.

friezefinalmolding.jpg

When its all done...this is how it should look at the bow.  Take note of where the molding ends.  Once I finish the other side, I will paint the bollard timbers black.  You could do this ahead of time as well.  Probably easier that way.  Everything above the bottom molding will be painted black.  You cant really tell the difference between the laser cut and etched molding and the scraped molding in that close up!!  Its just a little darker where the char sits in the grooves.

friezefinalmolding1.jpg

Lastly...at the stern, notice on the contemporary model that the top molding does not extend to the transom. The blue of the frieze extends right up to the shear.  The black cap which we will add later will sit on top of the shear.   The molding ends at the rail on the qgallery roof.  Which I will add next.

DSCF5530.JPG

ANY questions or comments???  I dont think I forgot to mention anything.....remember....a light touch when sanding those scrolls....really.

And I still havent decided on the roof color for the quarter galleries....but I have to decide so I can add that rail.  By the way, I havent even started on the port side yet.  So lots to do before I start working on the stern.

Beautiful work Chuck.  You continue to raise the bar....    👍

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea 

I also want to thank Simon Stephens at the National Maritime Museum for getting me these great photos of the contemporary model.  He is the curator of ship models there.  I wouldnt have been able to recreate the friezes like this without his help.   Thanks Simon!!!  😊

Nice work, Chuck! I know you're still undecided, but I'm leaning now towards the blue-gray slate roof rather than natural.

Mike

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Chuck, time and again you have tried to replicate the original model.  Why not do that here? I like the slate colored roof of the original and is probably period correct.

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

You are probably right.  I have til the weekend to decide as i wont have time till then to finish up the qgallery rail. 

Hi Chuck, I've just caught up with your progress and she is looking outstanding.

I throw my vote to the painted group. I'll be fun to see the various approaches everyone takes.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout